Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • New issue: starts right up but suddenly won't idle

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#377764  by Wolff
 February 11th, 2019, 10:14 pm
I took the car for an 18 mile drive to rent a truck, and then 2 days later on sunday returned the truck and drove the 18 miles home, all fine, but then Monday morning I started it u p to go to work and it wouldn't idle, turned the key and it started right up and died, did it again but gave it a little gas and as long as I held the pedal down a little it would run, but as soon as I let the gas off it stalls.

3.5L engine, with 124k on it, air filter, fluids, cam and crank sensors, battery etc have been replaced last spring along with the plugs. I do a lot of short trips, I also know I have a code for the transmission solenoid pack which put it in limp mode a year ago when I was slowing down from 55-60, but I kept my speed 50 and below for this 18 mile trip and didn't have that happen, I doubt that issue would prevent the car from idling- it hasn't before.

I could use some ideas on what to check/look for as to a cause for the sudden non idle, thanks!
 #377766  by RealityChek1956
 February 12th, 2019, 12:42 am
Notice any "hissing" sounds while holding it at idle ...including from the brake pedal area inside the car ? (possible brake booster leak). Do a physical check of all the vacuum lines and the rubber elbow at the top of the throttle body. Short trips ? Not letting the engine fully warm up is not good for ANY engine especially in cold weather. Besides rust...condensation promotes sludge in the crankcase if you don't let it get fully warmed. If all checks good.....maybe a removal/cleaning of the throttle body might be due.
Wolff liked this
 #377771  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 12th, 2019, 11:26 am
Possibly Idle Air Control Valve. I'd start with a throttle body cleaning, clean the IAC with IAC safe cleaner, see what happens.
If no improvement, try a swap to a new IAC - I've taken them from the junkyard and they've been good.
Wolff liked this