Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Front-end creaking

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#378959  by LUNAT1C
 May 8th, 2019, 3:38 pm
As I was coming home last Saturday from a car meet, I noticed while backing into the driveway a slight creaking noise seemingly coming from up front. I'm not sure if it occurred earlier in the day, as it's so soft that light music would have covered it up. No music was playing this time. After searching around here I saw a post from me last year about noticing a creak shortly after taking the car out of storage during a K-turn. I did not hear it again for the remainder of the year, so it never occurred to me to look into it. It occurred again, this time while reversing into the driveway. It occurred when the wheel was turned (which might lead me to suspect the left strut mount), and while moving perfectly straight in the driveway.

I have not investigated yet other than to look like a complete weirdo to my neighbors moving back and forth in the driveway, so I'm hoping someone can make suggestions on what to look at when I get the car in the air for wheels-off mods and maintenance (tire rotation, general suspension check, fuel tank straps are in order this month, plus mods and subframe cleaning/coating).

For the most part, my front suspension is factory-original as far as I know (purchased the car second-hand when it was 7 years old, 62,200 miles, I am the second owner).

What's been replaced and when:
Engine and transmission mounts (Early 2015, 118,000 miles, Mopar)
Struts and strut mounts (Early 2011, 100,000 miles, Mopar, unknown if mounts included bearings at that time)
Spring isolators (Early 2011, 100,000 miles, Johnny PolyBushings)
Sway bar endlinks (Early 2011, 100,000 miles, Moog Problem Solver, I will be re-greasing them soon after neglecting for a few years)
Sway bar bushings (Early 2010, 85,000-ish miles, Moog)
Brake rotors and pads second replacement (July 2013, 108,000 miles, BrakePerformance.com rotors, Adaptive A1 ceramic pads)
Both CV assembles again (last change October 2018, 131,000 miles, A1 Cardone reman Special assemblies)

Currently at 133,300 miles. Each Spring around this time when I rotate the tires I will try to move each wheel up/down, fore/aft, in/out from top/bottom and each side as way of checking the joints and tie rods and etc. Checked out OK last year in spite of the creak, have not checked this year yet.

If anyone has some ideas on what to check, I'm all ears.
Jen G liked this
 #379414  by ggariepy
 June 18th, 2019, 10:29 pm
I have a set of "chassis ears" for finding this sort of thing. I bought mine used for about $50, but they can be had new starting around $100. https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-06600-C ... B000IHIAES

It really did help me isolate noises on my daughter's Sebring. I am a proponent of having the right tool for the job, and suspension noises can be very difficult to find.
Jen G liked this
 #379431  by LUNAT1C
 June 19th, 2019, 10:28 am
ggariepy wrote: June 18th, 2019, 10:29 pm I have a set of "chassis ears" for finding this sort of thing. I bought mine used for about $50, but they can be had new starting around $100. https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-06600-C ... B000IHIAES

It really did help me isolate noises on my daughter's Sebring. I am a proponent of having the right tool for the job, and suspension noises can be very difficult to find.
Interesting, I've not heard of such a tool. I think if the noise comes back I'll look into finding it used (spent enough on a vacuum pump for my AC that has only been used once, and may be using again in a few months).

I didn't notice the noise the last few times I drove the car (FCA Design Cars and Coffee, and CEMA), so I wonder if a pothole fixed it.
Jen G liked this