Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Engine cranks but will not start

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#379339  by StealthM
 June 15th, 2019, 12:44 am
Hello gang hope all is well. Well its crunch time and StealthM is having some issues. Did some engine mods this week. Basically cosmetic. Valve covers, intake plenum, timing covers, throttle body, spark plugs and a new alternator. Came apart and went togather no issues. When it start her up and she just cranks over. CRAP.... Went back and rechecked all my connections. Looks good. Still no start. Reached out to Bob went through his check list and still nothing. Today I replaced the cam and crank sensor the fuel pump relay and a new battery. Still nothing. Had Steph cycle the key on while I laid under the gas tank and I hear the pump cycle and I have fuel in the rail. Rechecked all the plugs and coil packs. All secure. Hummmm. OK squirted some carb cleaner into the intake while Steph cranked the engine. NOTHING not even a burp. Ok pull a coil pack off and jumped it to the engine. Cranked the engine over and nothing. Shouldn't I hear a clicking of snapping of the coil energizing the plugs? I get nothing. So using my google fu. I am reading about the ASD relay possibly being an issue? They say that I could use a jumper to by pass it or swap out the fan relay to test it. UGH.... working my double tomorrow so I will not have a chance to work on her until Sunday.... (Happy Fathers Day to all you dads.) Anyhow anyone have this issue and can point me in the right direction. I hate to show up to Carlisle in my Surburban and not my M........
Jen G liked this
 #379342  by hrmwrm
 June 15th, 2019, 1:39 am
flip relays is a good first measure, but that you've had things apart, check all plug ins and fuses. take a meter and check for continuous power at the coils and injectors. asd relay needs to be jumped.
Jen G liked this
 #379347  by FIREM
 June 15th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Fathers Day Sunday so I'm sure I can't be available for a road call. You are more than welcome to stop by get the fuel pressure test set up but it appears you have narrowed it down to no spark. Swapping a known good relay like the headlights, to the ASD worth a shot but doubt it will change anything. Before you throw more parts at it retrace your steps. It ran before you touched it. Hate to make you do more work but better and cheaper than throwing parts at it. Pull the plenum and make sure you did bot pinch any wires under it
Jen G liked this
 #379350  by StealthM
 June 16th, 2019, 12:46 am
Thanks guys. Just got home from work. Gunna hit the rack and get after it in the am. Will swap out the relay first since that seems to be the easiest. Pretty sure thats not it like Bob said. But maybe just maybe something will go my way. If the relays a no go will tear it apart and start again.
Jen G liked this
 #379352  by FIREM
 June 16th, 2019, 7:07 am
ASD Relay sends power thru fuse S (in the under hood PDC) to a green wire. That is power for the coils and injectors. The PCM supples the ground for these circuits. Check the 20 amp fuse.This same green wire plugs on to the capacitor(s) on the valve covers. (99-01 one each side, 02 and up one left side) These little square boxes “filter” electrical noise. Unplug them and try to start. If shorted could pull voltage down and cause no power to coils & injectors. If you still have issues check that green wire carefully, may be pinched under the plenum.
Jen G liked this
 #379357  by StealthM
 June 16th, 2019, 11:08 am
Ok thats what those two little black boxes do. Will check them really well. Happy Fathers Day Bob.
Jen G liked this
 #379395  by FIREM
 June 18th, 2019, 7:01 am
Good news is "we" finally got it running. I let Clarence fill in the gaps but this one is weird. Unplugging the CAM Sensor is what finally got the car to start. This is the second occurrence that I have dealt with this issue. New AFTERMARKET Cam Sensor was installed during the job. Unplugging it allowed the car to start. It appears the "new" sensor draws the 8 volt V-ref down enough to cause a no start. Plugging it in once the car is running and it continues to run normally. More to follow once the new OEM sensor arrives.
Jen G liked this
 #379417  by StealthM
 June 19th, 2019, 12:40 am
Well as Bob said we got her up and running.... via phone non the less.. BOB YOU THE MAN... well as we travel through life were always learning... the last few days have been a learning experience. First off.... OEM sensors ONLY.... I knew this but I was pressed for time. I ordered MOPAR ones but I didn't want to wait so I hit up Pep Boys for the cam and crank sensor.. swapped those out and no start... WTF.. sent Steph to HF. Got myself a 10x20 tent to work in the rain... what is this Portland OR????? And a fuel pressure gauge. Got it home put up my rain cocoon just in time for the monsoon to hit. Bob advised pulled the plenum off to make sure all the connections were secure and I didnt screw the pooch and pinch or sever some wires... rechecked and were all in good shape. With master Day on the phone we checked the fuel pressure 48psi.with the pump energized. Acceptable for starting as per Bob. So Iam telling him that while everything was apart my OCD kicked in and die electric greased ALL the engine connectors. AND YES I MEAN ALL OF THEM.. figured if it was good for the spark plugs why not.... Well I thought Bob had a small seizure when I told him that. He asked how much grease did I use and I said I bought the family size tube...... Off to napa for 4 cans of electronic connector cleaner. And two hours later and a crap load of Qtips (sorry Steph) I had all the connectors cleaned and reconnected. Put the plenum back on and connected everything... feeling good I fired her up..... NO DICE.......CRAP. with Bob still on the phone hearing defeat in my voice and I assume scratching his head he tells me to disconnect the cam sensor..... BUT IT BRAND NEW.. Iam thinking to myself... So I disconnect the sensor and tried again. This time after a few cranks StealthM comes to life....... OMG like my first born I am ecstatic. BUT ITS A NEW SENSOR!!!!!!!. Recheck fuel pressure with her running 59psi... SWEET no fuel pump issue there. Connect the cam sensor in and she still runs and will go above 2000rpm. Turn off engine and it just cranks. Disconnect and she starts.... Ok where are you Mr. Fedex I need my OEM sensor....... lessons learned.... Only OEM parts and lay off the grease man.... LOL. thanks for everyone that responded. And Mr.. Day JWR sitting on my work bench for you... See you in Carlisle.....
Jen G liked this
 #379433  by LUNAT1C
 June 19th, 2019, 2:59 pm
That's an interesting problem. It's well document that non-Mopar sensors are garbage, but I've only ever heard of them failing after a few months... not preventing startup and still working once the engine is running... That's new. Further evidence to stick to OEM. I need to remember to pocket a few of them at the yard to keep in a bag in the trunk for any highway-side emergencies since mine is still factory. I'll knock on some wood later.
Jen G liked this
 #379439  by StealthM
 June 19th, 2019, 10:10 pm
Ok kids the fanfare was too soon. MOPAR came in today installed. Same issue. Plugged in will not start. Cranks but no start. Disconnect it and it starts..... Iam at a loss.....
Jen G liked this
 #379440  by adu1982
 June 20th, 2019, 4:07 am
Had a new Mopar that stopped working after just under a year, but it at least three a code. Way back, 6-7 years ago, went through 5 aftermarket IAC sensor. 3 or 4 of them never threw a code, just car woundt start. Had to use one time the old OEM that would still start but run the car rough....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jen G liked this
 #379441  by adu1982
 June 20th, 2019, 4:10 am
Wiring harness issue I assume.....when I shorted my base (my fault) it burned the wiring to where it wouldn't start.Only if I unplugged the crank sensor and held.it it would start. But in.my case you could see a small burn mark at pcm (it shorted out the pcm/harness).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Jen G liked this
 #379462  by StealthM
 June 22nd, 2019, 12:11 am
Well guys just an update. Still trying to find the cam sensor issue. Bob came over and we played in the rain only for the sun to come out and get super humid... Well we did some advanced diagnostics with Bob's scanner some jumper wires and some sewing needles. The good news is that the timing is good, fuel pressure is good. ECM is working and sending signal. Getting signal from the ECM through the wiring harness to the cam sensor. But that's where the issue starts.... Again she starts and runs strong without it plugged in but will not start. Mind you that its a new OEM sensor. Bob took the old one back to his bat cave to further investigate. Still dropping her off at the bodyshop for some paint work on Sunday. No front bumper no lights no windows going to be a stealth ride to the shop. Good thing it only down the road a bit. Hopefully we can get this engine issue sorted out might be playing hotel parking lot assembly....lol hopefully we will see you all soon..
 #379489  by Sneke_Eyez
 June 24th, 2019, 12:13 pm
Parking lot assembly is not all that fun - I say from experience! But I wish you good luck getting everything done in time for the show!
Jen G liked this
 #379495  by LUNAT1C
 June 24th, 2019, 1:48 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: June 24th, 2019, 12:13 pm Parking lot assembly is not all that fun - I say from experience! But I wish you good luck getting everything done in time for the show!
Particularly when the skeeters are thirsty...
Jen G liked this