Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Removing the two rear mufflers - now with video!

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#140614  by Vap0r
 July 7th, 2007, 2:40 pm
Super SWEET! I love the sound of it but im curious if you had any trouble with the tuning. From what I could tell you just removed the two mufflers at the end of the train? Did you pull the battery off to retune the car or did you just drive it and it fixed itself?
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was thinking about doing this with my special...
Thanks!
AWESOME SOUND

#141795  by GIJoe42
 July 23rd, 2007, 8:40 pm
I think the car just tuned itself back in after a few days of driving. Do it you'll love it!

#141797  by 85merk
 July 23rd, 2007, 8:54 pm
hey GIJoe, i did the same, kind of, for a week back in march.....just chopped the exhaust right before the first muffler, corner of the tank.
just posted my video today : http://www.85merk.com/SRT300S/SRT300S_dynos.wmv

was WAY too loud, big drone, luckily i didn't get pulled over ;)

#141820  by GIJoe42
 July 24th, 2007, 6:29 am
So you have no rear mufflers?? I kept one. That would be loud!

#141825  by 85merk
 July 24th, 2007, 8:35 am
Oh no...i have mufflers.

But i chopped the stock exhaust first just to see what it was like, as i was having problems with the driver side (seemed clogged).

It looked like this :

#141874  by Antigini
 July 25th, 2007, 12:43 am
I want to hear more of that!

#141898  by 85merk
 July 25th, 2007, 8:16 am
Antigini wrote:I want to hear more of that!
More of mine?
Check out my video posted in my exhaust thread (2.5" stainless).
Unfortunately, i do NOT have any flybys or street videos.
I did take it to the track that way though, managed to elude 5 officers who must have been deaf and the one even followed me for a few miles (at one point i was forced to accelerate from 20-60 mph) lol
But nobody taped me at the track so i have nothing there, only dyno runs.

#146358  by Paul R
 September 19th, 2007, 2:45 pm
I like the sound...

What would happen if you place a resonator or muffler where the x pipe was?? Would you still get the performance increase and not be as loud?

Thanks,
Paul

#147233  by Vap0r
 October 4th, 2007, 4:07 am
I think I'm going to pull the trigger after surgery next week (15k if anyone wants to sponsor a hip) The stock special sounds pretty ballsy at idle if your sitting right behind it but I'd like to have just a lil bit more of a deep throaty sound, especially when I hit that 4 mpg throttle position. So you guys are happy with just cutting the rears off a stock system and then what, welding the resonator tips back on?
Thanks for posting the vids too!
 #227372  by LOUD98ES
 May 27th, 2010, 6:44 pm
I think this might be what I've been looking for...
 #300698  by LUNAT1C
 March 1st, 2013, 11:04 pm
Removed the rear resonators, downstream of the transverse muffler. You would have only one rear resonator. This is something I plan on doing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
 #300699  by M-Pressive
 March 1st, 2013, 11:05 pm
LUNAT1C wrote:Removed the rear resonators, downstream of the transverse muffler. You would have only one rear resonator. This is something I plan on doing.

Do you plan on doing straight pipes or putting something in place of the rear resonators?
 #300702  by madrussian
 March 2nd, 2013, 7:46 am
I have posted on other threads what I did with my Special. I believe it is the only one in the country like it. Several years ago I removed the two rear mufflers, and in their place installed 22 inch long by 3 1/2 inch diameter, slash tip exhaust cans. It looks very nice. The stock factory muffler was retained, which is loud in it's own right.

It is very throaty at low rpm, and screams like a high end BMW at higher rpm's. However, it still sounds like a six cylinder. The irritating problem is that between 1800 and 2100 rpm, the drone inside the cabin is very annoying.

I don't have any capability to record a sound track, but can suppliy an image if anyone is interested.
 #300703  by InfernoLime
 March 2nd, 2013, 8:18 am
LUNAT1C wrote:Removed the rear resonators, downstream of the transverse muffler. You would have only one rear resonator. This is something I plan on doing.

So I would only have the one right after the cat converters and the diagonal one and the one by the exhaust tip would be gone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.