Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 300M Special Exhaust Removal and Installation on Base 300M

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#282231  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 May 18th, 2012, 12:09 pm
So I am in the process of removing the stock special exhaust from my parts car and I had a few questions.

Right now, I believe the system is being held up by the isolators only at this point (it is still connected to the cats though). What's the best way to remove them without damaging anything? I'd like to transfer it to my car afterwards.

Is there a way to remove the entire isolator or do I have to remove the exhaust from the isolator first?

Also, when they are off the isolator, will the exhaust just disconnect at the front/middle resonator? From what the FSM said about my 01, it should disconnect in between the resonator and the cats?

-Ryan
 #282232  by Brando26
 May 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm
The connections are two clamps in front of the resonators, and 4 rubber hangers. Spray the rubber hangers with WD to lube them to slide off the post. You will need to remove the rear bumper to get to the mounts near the rear mufflers becuase those mounts are screwed into the frame. So 2 clamps at the front, 4 rubber hangers slid onto a post, and 4 bolts behind the bumper on the frame.
To install the exhaust on a base m or 2nd gen LH you will need to drill holes on the passenger side frame for the lack of preparation from the factory for the passenger muffler.

This is definitely a job for 2 people.
 #282239  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 May 18th, 2012, 2:26 pm
Yeah I have a buddy coming over this afternoon to give me a hand. I have already removed all the bolts. Hit them with PB Blaster throughout the day yesterday and slowly but surely they came off one by one. The rear bumper is already removed so access to the rubber hangers was easy.

Right now the only ones that are still in place are the rubber hangers by the rear mufflers on each side. What is the best way to remove those? From what it looks, you just pull out the pin, that's attached to the exhaust, out of the rubber piece? I also just have to remove those clamps from the upper resonator... Do you need to spin them around or am I missing something here? I removed the two nuts from those bolts but the clamps themselves don't seem to be budging.

Also, the car is up on four jack stands now and the exhaust system is resting on another two jack stands.
 #282247  by Brando26
 May 18th, 2012, 3:36 pm
The rubber things slide off the metal post with the bulb at the end of it, need to soak the rubber things with pb or WD to make it easier to slide them off... Or cut them off and use the ones from the one you are removing from the other car.
The clamps you may need to spread apart a bit. That is what makes it a two man job is wiggling it back and forth while pulling back. And the other trying to kick it off. Fun times.
 #282250  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 May 18th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Ah okay I see, in the FSM is reads
Do not use any tools to remove the isolators, remove by hand only. Soapy water or silicone=based spray may be used to assist removal. Do Not use a petroleum based lubricant on the isolators. This will damage the rubber material.
After the exhaust system is removed from the isolators, is it possible to reuse these for the swap to my car? If so, how do they come out? It looks like the are attached to the frame, but there are no bolts.
 #282251  by Brando26
 May 18th, 2012, 4:15 pm
They stay on the car. You are only removing the rubber piece. The other car already has these mounts with the exception of the rearmost mount which needs to be unbolted from the donor car frame and drilled and mounted to the next vehicle.
 #282263  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 May 18th, 2012, 6:15 pm
Soapy water has helped, I was able to get the driver side free a little but I can't get that pin to go all the way through the isolator. Its stuck with about 75% of the pin still in the rubber. I am doing this myself as of now, tomorrow I should have more help so maybe that will help out some.

In order to get that one slightly off though I had to use a big screw driver and pry at it a little.
 #282278  by Brando26
 May 18th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Everything is normal, keep at it :) Remember, if you mess one up, you can take it from your base 300M exhaust you are about to pull.
 #282293  by Maximus
 May 19th, 2012, 8:26 am
working on your back on exhaust systems is the worst. A lift is the only way to go. You can't get enough leverage when you need to.
 #282361  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 May 20th, 2012, 5:43 pm
GOT IT! Can't wait for the end of this week. Sanding that special bumper down now :)

I ended up getting a horse lead (I live on a horse farm) and putting it through the spoke, around the isolator, and back through another spoke. It was nothing lol, just pulled right out with a little tug. My buddy and I just looked at each other as we spent a good 10-15 min removing the other one.

It looks like I only need to drill two holes, and when the bumper off, i will have plenty of room. Looks like I'm just doing this in the driveway :)

Thanks again for all the help, as usual.. MUCH appreciated!
-Ryan