Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Upgrading a bit from stock

  • Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

 #290013  by Bangin300M
 September 25th, 2012, 10:22 pm
My exhaust on my 99 300M is a bit worn out the rear resonator is pretty rusty and the muffler is getting that way also. I was thinking about replacing the resonator with a Cherry Bomb Glass Pack (straight pipe one of course) and wondering if that would be alright and if anyone has done it if they could give me some feedback. Also what would that do to my fuel mileage?
User avatar
 #290026  by TrueBlue
 September 26th, 2012, 7:55 am
Probably wouldn't have too much effect on your gas mileage, but it'll sound pretty damn raspy without a resonator on there. 60* V6s don't have a harmonious exhaust tone like a 90* V8.

You could buy a Special exhaust (dual rear pipes, mufflers, resonator etc) from one of the guys parting Specials right now. Even if you just got the big bits and had your muffler shop fab up connections you'll get one helluva nice burble. The Special at idle from the rear has a low throaty tone that sounds like an eight cylinder.
User avatar
 #290060  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 September 26th, 2012, 8:46 pm
Agree, but they are hard to come by. I put the special exhaust on my car and it was perfect. Everything lines up right, no welding, and you can DIY if you have access to a full exhaust from a yard or something.

It sounds just the way I want it. Its not so loud its annoying but its enough that you know its there and when you hit the gas it sounds great :)

Downside is you need to either cut your OEM bumper or find a special bumper and paint it. You will also need to do something about the passenger wheel well as it doesn't have the bump out for the rear muffler. Otherwise it will rub/melt the plastic wheel well.
User avatar
 #290075  by TrueBlue
 September 27th, 2012, 7:19 am
Ideally, the Special exhaust is a great bolt-on, but like you said the availability and fit on a standard M might be tricky.

Anyway, OP, I'd find a good quality resonator to give it a throaty tone. Glasspacks never seem to sound right on V6s.
 #290080  by Bangin300M
 September 27th, 2012, 8:17 am
TrueBlue wrote:Ideally, the Special exhaust is a great bolt-on, but like you said the availability and fit on a standard M might be tricky.

Anyway, OP, I'd find a good quality resonator to give it a throaty tone. Glasspacks never seem to sound right on V6s.
I was either thinking about straight piping the resonator or put the glass pack on it it will be something until i get the money to do a full cat back dual exhaust system
User avatar
 #290085  by Brando26
 September 27th, 2012, 9:43 am
The special exhaust sounds perfect imo. To install on a base you need only have an exhaust shop create a template and cut an identical hole on the other side of the rear bumper. Remove bumper, remove exhaust, bolt on new, and drill a new bolt hole for the passenger side mount onto the frame. Reinstall bumper, enjoy.

sent from my HTC smart phone
 #290102  by Bangin300M
 September 27th, 2012, 6:45 pm
Its just something until i can get my full cat back true duals well the money for it anyways
User avatar
 #290125  by SpeedBallDEVIL
 September 28th, 2012, 8:47 pm
brando26 wrote:The special exhaust sounds perfect imo. To install on a base you need only have an exhaust shop create a template and cut an identical hole on the other side of the rear bumper. Remove bumper, remove exhaust, bolt on new, and drill a new bolt hole for the passenger side mount onto the frame. Reinstall bumper, enjoy.

sent from my HTC smart phone
Don't the tips stick out a little on the standard bumper? The special bumper goes straight down b/c of the ground effects, but the standard curves inward. So when the special exhaust is on the standard bumper it sticks out 2-3 inches right? This is what I have seen from pictures at least..
 #291054  by Countachqv
 October 13th, 2012, 7:05 am
Aditional question here. We have a resonator in the middle and a resonator + muffler in the rear.
Is there any video of the car sounds if the middle resonator is replaced by a staight pipe/cross?

My middle rresonator is rusty and I'd just like to get rid of it and keep the rear as is. What would the sound be like?
 #291129  by Bangin300M
 October 15th, 2012, 5:48 pm
countachqv wrote:Aditional question here. We have a resonator in the middle and a resonator + muffler in the rear.
Is there any video of the car sounds if the middle resonator is replaced by a staight pipe/cross?

My middle rresonator is rusty and I'd just like to get rid of it and keep the rear as is. What would the sound be like?
thats another reason why I'm wanting to upgrade a bit also because my rear resonator is just rusted and i thought about either glasspack or straight pipe it