Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What would you do?

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
2020 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#314050  by LUNAT1C
 August 2nd, 2013, 10:08 am
If you were going to remove any component in your Special's exhaust system and replace it with straight pipe, in the name of a nice burble at idle and aggressive throaty sound, what would it be? The suitcase? Or the two rear resonators?

I've heard Special exhaust systems with the resonators gone and liked them. I've also seen a few Charger guys have the suitcases removed and straight pipes installed, leaving the resonators behind, and they loved it. The name of the game is making the car sound aggressive at idle and on the highway, but I would like to avoid a lot of highway drone. I drive the car primarily on the highway to Philly, Carlisle, Ocean City, Knoxville, etc... 12+ hours with drone will drive anyone batty... There is an exhaust shop in Wayne, 30 minutes from my office that will do either for $100 or less.

Appreciate all thoughts!
 #314066  by InfernoLime
 August 2nd, 2013, 11:51 am
I have my main muffler removed, but only the standard exhaust setup. Maybe you remember my sound from Carlsile.

Not too much highway drone, and a nice startup noise.
 #314069  by LUNAT1C
 August 2nd, 2013, 12:05 pm
Actually... I don't remember it lol. The only exhaust I really paid much attention to was Keiths as I thought his was the only modified setup. He added mufflers back there, so it's not quite what I'm looking to do.
 #314071  by M-Pressive
 August 2nd, 2013, 12:19 pm
You know where I stand on this subject.

Most everyone that has heard or ridden in my M has loved the sound. I did three different exhaust mods on the other special and they all had way too much drone.
 #314074  by LUNAT1C
 August 2nd, 2013, 12:42 pm
Honestly if I could get the deep burbling idle of Tom's car and the throaty take-off of your car, I'd be elated. I had two Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers on my Grand Prix (one replaced the rear resonator, the other was supplemental via a GT replacement y-pipe) that sounded good at idle, did not drone, but wasn't terribly throaty. My Charger has no rear resonators, no transverse muffler, and two Borla suitcases under the backseat with an X-pipe between them and the factory catted mid-pipe. It sounds lovely, in fact it gives me wood every time I stand on the go pedal and has little to no drone, but it's not much of a comparison, having the 5.7L V8.

Besides, I'm not quite sold on the idea of cherry bombs or glass packs. I have the old school mindset of suitcases from Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa, etc. Not sure how they'll sound if I replace the resonators with them... or replace the transverse muffler with one... I want to take the Special sound and amplify it.
 #314077  by 300maximilien
 August 2nd, 2013, 1:23 pm
ever heard a Hujo set up? Was one of the best sounds I ever had when I did it to my '00 Stone White. It's funny how even tips can effect the sound. My '00 had 4 melodious trumpets....

The 1 into 2 muffler is the key to a great sound IMO and the Magnaflow gives that throaty sound we all like

#314083  by LUNAT1C
 August 2nd, 2013, 2:35 pm
I don't believe I have, but in the interest of not spending a butt-load I'm trying not to have to buy a bunch of components and have more labor. I'll see if I can look it up this weekend since work blocks a lot of pictures and youtube.
 #314085  by 300maximilien
 August 2nd, 2013, 2:47 pm
to make yours a semi-hujo you could just add the magnaflow 1 into 2 and loose the rear resonators.
 #314087  by Stratastic
 August 2nd, 2013, 3:33 pm
I just put a thrush glasspack on my trep. Glasspack went about 4inches behind the 2 into 1 resonator, then straight pipe to the back and it has a real nice sound.
 #314088  by LUNAT1C
 August 2nd, 2013, 3:37 pm
Once upon a time I was going to replace the transverse muffler on my Intrepid with a Flowmaster 80 1 into 2 and have two pipes out the back. Then the wreck happened and I had a Grand Prix for four years...
 #314097  by 02SilverSpecial
 August 2nd, 2013, 10:57 pm
This is what I did to my Special:

Completely removed EVERYTHING from the cats back, replaced the center resonator with an X pipe, ran true duals all the way back to mufflers from Lous custom exhaust, (lous custom SS 409s) which is a chain around here.

This is the sound:
 #314135  by 300maximilien
 August 3rd, 2013, 4:39 pm
Bobby... Tyler and I were just looking at that video last week.....and we both said "man he should never have got rid of that sweet car"
 #314161  by LUNAT1C
 August 3rd, 2013, 10:11 pm
I just started considering an X-pipe today... and thats the sound I want... good thing I found a recommended shop in Wayne (by a Club LX of Michigan member). I better start saving...