Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Special exhaust on base M

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#315310  by 300MaximuM
 August 15th, 2013, 4:25 pm
So today I took my car to Monroe muffler to get the special exhaust installed on my M. The shop totally screws it up and puts it on crooked and pushed back. We complained to the shop and after much attitude from the manager we paid half the price he wanted. Now we have to go to another shop Monday to get it fixed.
 #315315  by Mottman
 August 15th, 2013, 5:17 pm
OUTRAGEOUS ! ABSOLUTLY SUCKS !
And they call themselves muffler and exhaust experts ! Sadly, this is the downside of hiring the cheapest employees they can find or treating good employees like crap till they dont care. I say you should have the good shop remove all of the monroe stuff, then take it back to monroe and demand the rest of you'r money back. If they refuse, tell em you got a friend at the local newspaper who would love to run a story on monroe's shoddy workmanship and poor customer service. Rant, rave, get loud and make a scene, and I bet you get every penny in hand before you walk out the door ( It's that squeaky wheel that gets the grease ). Anyways, good luck with the other shop. Show us the end results when it's all straightened out. I need inspiration to mod The EVIL Sickness.

Mottman.
 #315317  by 300MaximuM
 August 15th, 2013, 6:29 pm
Mottman wrote:OUTRAGEOUS ! ABSOLUTLY SUCKS !
And they call themselves muffler and exhaust experts ! Sadly, this is the downside of hiring the cheapest employees they can find or treating good employees like crap till they dont care. I say you should have the good shop remove all of the monroe stuff, then take it back to monroe and demand the rest of you'r money back. If they refuse, tell em you got a friend at the local newspaper who would love to run a story on monroe's shoddy workmanship and poor customer service. Rant, rave, get loud and make a scene, and I bet you get every penny in hand before you walk out the door ( It's that squeaky wheel that gets the grease ). Anyways, good luck with the other shop. Show us the end results when it's all straightened out. I need inspiration to mod The EVIL Sickness.

Mottman.
It's just not worth my time to sit there and argue with idiots. And I will post pics. Might have a lol trick up my sleeve too
 #315318  by Brando26
 August 15th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Josh and I put mine on at his house. All we needed was a drill and a bolt. I already had an exhaust shop cut a hole on the other side. Took a lot of wigging, and some lube, but we got it :)
 #315327  by user97
 August 15th, 2013, 9:31 pm
I never had any personal dealings with Monroe muffler but one of my RS minivans had the muffler replaced by the previous owners at a national muffler chain. According to service records I got the replacement was done 3 years ago. When I got the van I noticed that the muffler was not in the right location, but hanging croockedly 2 inches lower that it should. But as nothing else was causing an issue, I just let it be. Well, this year the van started sounding like a muscle car -- I look under and see muffler hanging just a few inches off the ground...

Here is what happened -- the installers cut off resonator from the old muffler and WELDED it onto the new -- the only issue is that they did not align the two -- so they basically bent muffler mounting bracket until it could sort of fit onto hangers -- well resonator would not fit then -- so they tried twisting the pipe at the weld (probably with heat). They did not touch the old muffler clamp at cat pipe, but rather cut exhaust after the clamp (part of the pipe belonged to the OEM muffler). Then they shortened the new muffler pipe to compensate for the extra length of the exhaust pipe, loosing the enlarged portion that was meant to "mate" to the cat pipe. Rather that use exhaust pipe expander, they simply crimped/bumped in the end of what was old muffler pipe and jammed it into the new muffler and put the clamp on it.

Due to faultiy measurements they gained a out 2 inches in length before muffler and solved the problem by tilting the muffler assembly down -- I.e. introducing a curve in the pipe to accommodate extra length.

The stress of the downward bend combined with rotational attempts caused the resonator weld to fail, poor attachment of the muffler to the elongated muffler pipe let loose dropping the muffler way low.

Due to the massive exhaust leak past muffler (right above rear axle) -- jounce bumper got burnt through along with thermal insulation shield.

But I am very thankful that whoever did this great install did not mess with the cat pipe -- they cutoff the pipe after the clamp -- thus enabling me to remove the clamp and the extraneous piece of the pipe and replace all parts beyond that point.

Total cost of all parts to do the job properly (including a new resonator) from walker exhaust was under $100. -- though jounce bumpers set me an additional $80...

I hope that they did not weld your special exhaust on -- or else you may ruined components...
 #315328  by 300MaximuM
 August 15th, 2013, 9:46 pm
user97 wrote:I never had any personal dealings with Monroe muffler but one of my RS minivans had the muffler replaced by the previous owners at a national muffler chain. According to service records I got the replacement was done 3 years ago. When I got the van I noticed that the muffler was not in the right location, but hanging croockedly 2 inches lower that it should. But as nothing else was causing an issue, I just let it be. Well, this year the van started sounding like a muscle car -- I look under and see muffler hanging just a few inches off the ground...

Here is what happened -- the installers cut off resonator from the old muffler and WELDED it onto the new -- the only issue is that they did not align the two -- so they basically bent muffler mounting bracket until it could sort of fit onto hangers -- well resonator would not fit then -- so they tried twisting the pipe at the weld (probably with heat). They did not touch the old muffler clamp at cat pipe, but rather cut exhaust after the clamp (part of the pipe belonged to the OEM muffler). Then they shortened the new muffler pipe to compensate for the extra length of the exhaust pipe, loosing the enlarged portion that was meant to "mate" to the cat pipe. Rather that use exhaust pipe expander, they simply crimped/bumped in the end of what was old muffler pipe and jammed it into the new muffler and put the clamp on it.

Due to faultiy measurements they gained a out 2 inches in length before muffler and solved the problem by tilting the muffler assembly down -- I.e. introducing a curve in the pipe to accommodate extra length.

The stress of the downward bend combined with rotational attempts caused the resonator weld to fail, poor attachment of the muffler to the elongated muffler pipe let loose dropping the muffler way low.

Due to the massive exhaust leak past muffler (right above rear axle) -- jounce bumper got burnt through along with thermal insulation shield.

But I am very thankful that whoever did this great install did not mess with the cat pipe -- they cutoff the pipe after the clamp -- thus enabling me to remove the clamp and the extraneous piece of the pipe and replace all parts beyond that point.

Total cost of all parts to do the job properly (including a new resonator) from walker exhaust was under $100. -- though jounce bumpers set me an additional $80...

I hope that they did not weld your special exhaust on -- or else you may ruined components...
That sounds like quite a screw up. And luckily they just clamped it on
 #315329  by user97
 August 15th, 2013, 10:39 pm
That's great because no damage was done...
 #315367  by Null
 August 16th, 2013, 12:19 pm
lmao
 #315379  by langeb
 August 16th, 2013, 1:36 pm
300maximilien wrote:ok...GOT IT FIXED!!
lmao. does it have afterburners also?
 #315380  by 300MaximuM
 August 16th, 2013, 1:48 pm
langeb wrote:
300maximilien wrote:ok...GOT IT FIXED!!
lmao. does it have afterburners also?
Yep located under the driver seat ;)
 #315387  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 16th, 2013, 2:25 pm
That sucks, Tyler. That's why I always deal with the non-chain/local shops, they just tend to do better work. Good luck with the trick up your sleeve. ;)
 #315388  by InfernoLime
 August 16th, 2013, 3:02 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote:That sucks, Tyler. That's why I always deal with the non-chain/local shops, they just tend to do better work. Good luck with the trick up your sleeve. ;)
You will have to post a video with the sound when it's all done.
 #315401  by Maximus
 August 16th, 2013, 4:25 pm
That's great... I see your using the asbestos insulating wraps to keep them cool...
 #315414  by 300MaximuM
 August 16th, 2013, 10:45 pm
Maximus wrote:That's great... I see your using the asbestos insulating wraps to keep them cool...
You know there's CATback and turbo back but I wanted to start a new trend. Trunk back exhaust lol