Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • exhaust upgrade on base model?

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
2020 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#324072  by sparky99
 January 16th, 2014, 9:47 pm
Would love to upgrade my base model exhaust, anyone do it and keep it single exhaust? Not sure I want dials or not... opinions?
 #324075  by 300MaximuM
 January 16th, 2014, 11:25 pm
I think Mattgendron messed around with his a bit.
 #324078  by InfernoLime
 January 17th, 2014, 8:30 am
I removed the main muffler and replaced it with just piping. So I have both tubes from the cats still go into a resonator and then into another resonator that the exhaust tips are attached to. Adds a growl but is in no way over the top. A little bit of drone on the highway but nothing too bad. The main muffler is the one that runs the same way as the axles, right between the gas tank and the spare tire area.
fwdhotrodder liked this
 #324110  by Stratastic
 January 17th, 2014, 5:29 pm
I put a thrush glasspack right after the 2-1 resonator, the straight piped it out the back. It sounds really good. IMO
 #324376  by sparky99
 January 23rd, 2014, 2:45 am
So, picking this up for 10 bucks, not sure if I can use it yet. Possibly thinking of replacing the resonator by putting a y collector in and plumbing it behind. Then maybe getting another muffler of some type for the rear. Don't really want it loud, just hoping to have a slight bit of grumble.. Maybe a lil more than a special.. Still going to try and stay with a single exhaust unless I come across a super cheap special bumper... Until then this is somewhat the plan...
Anyways I plan to cut all the junk off and start fresh...
 #324377  by sparky99
 January 23rd, 2014, 2:46 am
 #324396  by 300maximilien
 January 23rd, 2014, 11:17 am
sparky99 wrote: unless I come across a super cheap special bumper...
How cheap is super cheap? PM me. I have 2 in my garage and can work something out with you if interested.
 #325394  by sparky99
 February 13th, 2014, 1:08 am
I appreciate the offer craig, I am going to pass as of right now. I don't really have the funds as of right now for a rear bumper swap. thanks again bud...
I have decided to go the route that mattgendron went as of right now. I may pick the needed parts this weekend, or next week...
 #325414  by LUNAT1C
 February 13th, 2014, 10:59 am
Pending fund, I will be collecting parts for my own exhaust systems. Hoping to get an X-pipe (borla or magnaflow) in place of the front resonator, delete the transverse muffler, and replace the rear muffers with Borla Pro XS and tips a big more aggressive in appearance than the Special tips. Essentially replace the entire system downstream of the downpipes. I listened to a few different V6 cars close in displacement to ours with almost identical changes and thought it sounded great. We'll see what the reality is. Going to be expen$ive though, and I have the valve body and paintwork higher up the list for the spring.
 #325571  by sparky99
 February 16th, 2014, 4:03 pm
ended up picking up the muffler, I think since it is so small (it is a single chamber Flowmaster) I will cut the ends off, and prep it to be put under the m in place of the transverse muffler. I believe it will fit nicely, and keep the sound low key with keeping the 2 resonators. I will get it put in possibly on Tuesday, and then report back after. if I do not like it, I may try replacing the resonator and tip at the bumper and see what happens. this is unfortunately going to be trial and error. I'm still hoping this will give me the sound I want yet keeping it pretty quiet. I daily drive this car and do not want it to be loud at all.
I will definitely report back after the flowmaster is installed.
 #325745  by sparky99
 February 19th, 2014, 1:39 am
ok, I've decided to wait to do this until I have ample time and to wait till its a little warmer... Plan is to get it done before indy. that shouldn't be a problem.
I just want to do it right, meaning I want to weld in a pipe that will connect everything together and keep it looking nice.
 #325770  by LUNAT1C
 February 19th, 2014, 11:11 am
FYI, that muffler up there is Flowmasters most aggressive. Loudest one they make and is normally intended for people who like to race and don't mind the drone and not being able to carry on a conversation at normal levels. I had two Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers on my Grand Prix, and feel like that is the most aggressive a daily driver should have been... not much drone, able to talk normally, but get on the throttle and she sang.
 #325774  by sparky99
 February 19th, 2014, 11:52 am
Rob, I am aware.. I am going to leave the collector and resonator with the tips on it. This will replace the main muffler. Mattgendron cut it out completely. I'm hoping it won't be bad. We'll see, I will do it and if I don't like it, I'll put the stocker back in...
 #325775  by sparky99
 February 19th, 2014, 11:56 am
The jeep has a delta flow 40 series on it with no cat converter. It's pretty loud but it's the jeep so I don't mind... Also exhaust dumps right under the passenger seat...
 #329352  by Chrysler1924
 April 13th, 2014, 2:59 am
Yesterday I had a chat with a Mopar buddy of mine who is the parts manager at my old Chrysler dealer in Southern CT. We got to talking about exhaust mods and he harangued me for not having touched the exhaust system on the 300M. My protestations in the name of "It's one system that I haven't had problems with, so I'm scared to touch it" didn't go over well at all.

He told me that from the catalytic converters, both pipes dump into a RESONATOR, which is then carried to the transverse MUFFLER via two pipes, which is then carried to another resonator, which goes to the tailpipe.

I found this diagram of the 2000 LH exhaust, but when I compare it to an image I took of my 300M while it was up on the rack a few days ago... something doesn't look right.

My car...

See in the diagram it shows that #6 is a SINGLE pipe coming out of the first resonator to the transverse muffler. But if I look at the bottom of my car correctly, there are definitely TWO pipes and not just one. He had suggested that I remove that first resonator and replace it with an "X-pipe", and then delete the transverse muffler and replace it with a straight pipe. My question is, what's the point in adding an X-pipe? Since my car apparently has dual pipes coming OUT of the first resonator, couldn't you just delete the resonator and put in 2 straight pipes?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just did some research... apparently X-pipes are better for "exhaust scavenging" causing the pulses to feed off each other.

Anyone know what diameter the inlet/outlet ports of an X-pipe would need to be for these cars? Are they the same for both inlet/outlet? I'm curious to know if X-pipes will screw up the backpressure and therefore harm low-end performance (acceleration lag)... At this point, I'm just asking questions and trying to learn... but I think it's strange that the 2000 diagram from Chrysler looks different than what is on my car.

I feel like deleting the first resonator AND the muffler (leaving only the catalytic converters and 1 resonator) might result in catastrophe. That's removal of two major components of the exhaust system, I wonder if the noise would be prohibitive.