Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • exhaust upgrade on base model?

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#329376  by miska_man
 April 13th, 2014, 12:15 pm
Adding an X pipe there will not help anything really over such a short span as it Y's together a few feet back anyways. An xpipe is really only going to help in a true dual exhaust setup. You do not have a true dual exhaust.

I'd also take a guess and say that resonator has been replaced at one point because it looks so clean and the fact that the resonator does not match any other LH exhaust I've seen. Although the rest of your underbody itself is quite rust free (nice looking floor and brake/fuel lines).
 #329426  by Chrysler1924
 April 14th, 2014, 3:20 am
Hmm... odd I don't recall seeing anything exhaust related in the maintenance records, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. So that explains why it looks funny... I wonder what it would sound like if I removed the resonator for straight pipes and dumped the transverse muffler...

I admit, I was very surprised when I walked under the car and saw how clean it is. Though I have made a point to wash the undercarriage after every snowstorm since I have owned it, no matter how slight. After seeing what happened to 300MaximuM's brake lines, I am horrified that mine will be next...

What I don't understand is that by rights 12 years on the East Coast should have the body rotting off the frame. It's a little suspicious that it's not. But then, weather related corrosion DID just cost me $800+ for a radiator repair due to destroyed cooler lines...
 #329435  by 300MaximuM
 April 14th, 2014, 7:42 am
Chris that is the same as the special exhaust I took off the first parted car. The cats (2 pipes) into a 2in 2out resonator into the y pipe which take it to the 1 in 2 out muffler. Then the two separate exits with mufflers. Yours is that minus the end
 #329438  by Null
 April 14th, 2014, 7:47 am
Sorry just had to post.. holy crap thats a clean underbody. Please dont hack your exhast up.. its so new.

I suggest you dont let Matt convince you to come to Canada :d
 #329453  by Null
 April 14th, 2014, 11:43 am
mattgendron wrote:Corey just go to krown every year! Mine isn't too bad
lol im good thanks
 #333573  by Chrysler1924
 June 18th, 2014, 1:44 am
So since the transmission shop botched my OEM exhaust when I had my transmission replaced, I am looking at upgrading my exhaust system a bit sooner than I had anticipated. Since I need to replace components, I figured now would be the time to do a mod. I'd like to put in a dual exhaust system that includes both catalytic converters feeding into a Magnaflow X-pipe, which then leads directly to two separate Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers. Getting rid of the stock front resonator, transverse muffler and rear resonator.

In order to research this further, I've got a few questions:

1. What is the pipe diameter for the pipes coming out of the catalytic converters? (RockAuto direct replacement mufflers seem to indicate 2.5" diameter, but I just want to be sure. I've seen a lot of posts referencing 2.25"...)

2. With the stock front resonator, transverse muffler and rear resonator deleted, what should I be looking for in terms of the OFFSET for the inlet and outlet of the two Flowmaster 40 series mufflers?

(Yes, I realize that I need to have a port cut in the rear fascia to allow for dual exhaust outlets.)

I'm assuming that once I source both mufflers and the X-pipe, that this should be a fairly straight-forward migration. (Am I right?) Most of this is going to end up being piping...
 #333578  by 300MaximuM
 June 18th, 2014, 7:32 am
Chrysler1924 wrote:
(Yes, I realize that I need to have a port cut in the rear fascia to allow for dual exhaust
We have an extra special bumper. Just needs paint:)
 #333584  by LUNAT1C
 June 18th, 2014, 9:34 am
Chrysler1924 wrote:So since the transmission shop botched my OEM exhaust when I had my transmission replaced, I am looking at upgrading my exhaust system a bit sooner than I had anticipated. Since I need to replace components, I figured now would be the time to do a mod. I'd like to put in a dual exhaust system that includes both catalytic converters feeding into a Magnaflow X-pipe, which then leads directly to two separate Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers. Getting rid of the stock front resonator, transverse muffler and rear resonator.

In order to research this further, I've got a few questions:

1. What is the pipe diameter for the pipes coming out of the catalytic converters? (RockAuto direct replacement mufflers seem to indicate 2.5" diameter, but I just want to be sure. I've seen a lot of posts referencing 2.25"...)

2. With the stock front resonator, transverse muffler and rear resonator deleted, what should I be looking for in terms of the OFFSET for the inlet and outlet of the two Flowmaster 40 series mufflers?

(Yes, I realize that I need to have a port cut in the rear fascia to allow for dual exhaust outlets.)

I'm assuming that once I source both mufflers and the X-pipe, that this should be a fairly straight-forward migration. (Am I right?) Most of this is going to end up being piping...

If that drawing is accurate, and you're installing these mufflers at the back in place of the aft resonators, it looks like you want offset/offset. This is the Special design, not regular. Regular exhaust had two tail pipes on the one rear resonator. No idea if the outlet is offset or center.
 #333592  by Chrysler1924
 June 18th, 2014, 1:32 pm
300MaximuM wrote:
Chrysler1924 wrote:
(Yes, I realize that I need to have a port cut in the rear fascia to allow for dual exhaust
I wish I had $300 to grab it from ya. But... if I did that, I'd need to find a Special front fascia and then whatever you have to do to make the sides look like a Special.

They never made a Champagne Pearl Metallic 300M Special. Probably because it would look funny against the grey plastic.
 #333594  by 300MaximuM
 June 18th, 2014, 1:33 pm
Chrysler1924 wrote:
300MaximuM wrote:
Chrysler1924 wrote:
I wish I had $300 to grab it from ya. But... if I did that, I'd need to find a Special front fascia and then whatever you have to do to make the sides look like a Special.

They never made a Champagne Pearl Metallic 300M Special. Probably because it would look funny against the grey plastic.
That's why you paint it the colors you want.
 #333603  by Chrysler1924
 June 18th, 2014, 5:47 pm
300MaximuM wrote: That's why you paint it the colors you want.
Valid. I just don't know if I could tolerate having the lowered body you end up with on the 300M Special, even though the clearance difference is probably only a couple of inches, the stock 300M is already too low for many driveways and dips out here in Colorado. Just the other night when I was backing out of someone's driveway, I didn't realize it was at such a sharp angle and I totally hit what sounded like the rear frame piece smack on the ground just trying to pull out of the driveway.

Most of the driveways around here require that I drive in at such an extreme angle just to avoid smacking the front fascia. I feel like any Special fascias would get ruined after barely a week here. It's also probably why I never see any Specials in Fort Collins. They're all base model 300M's out here when I see them.

Back to the exhaust, after conferring with my dealership tech buddy- I'm really leaning towards doing a straight pipe back from the cats into the Flowmaster 40's. I might add an X-pipe in the future but at this point, since that's another $100 by itself, I'm not too keen on it. Plus, he said:

"The trick to making a V6 sound like an 8 is to play up as much of the diversity factor as possible....totally separate pipes making totally separate sounds, hollow chambered mufflers to play up the individual cylinder firing sound as much as possible. A 6 tends to just sound like one big "blat" under acceleration, while an 8 tends to "rap" with individual cylinder firings almost being detectable....almost the difference between a purr and a fart. You can't help but get some performance out of an unrestricted exhaust, and perhaps even more if scientifically approached, but the seat of the pants feel and a powerful pulsing sound will make it FEEL faster and more responsive....and since there IS a speed limit, isn't that more important? Something you can enjoy at all speeds. Just one man's take on the subject....your mileage may vary!"
 #333605  by miska_man
 June 18th, 2014, 6:03 pm
Not all of the height difference on the Special is the fascia. I believe the Special suspension was also a factor.

And on the rear fascia there's a good chance height may even be the same as base fascia. And if you paint the whole Special fascia (including grey plastic) it should flow nicely with the rest of the car without looking out of place.
 #342667  by DADS300
 February 12th, 2015, 1:48 pm
For anyone that has converted from single to dual, were there any obstacles or issues with emissions? I realize that's a state by state thing; I know here in Georgia we have annual inspections but I'm not sure of the restrictions on modifying.