Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Exhaust Wrap

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#355814  by InfernoLime
 March 7th, 2016, 6:20 pm
Hey y'all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or input on using exhaust wrap instead of manifold covers for my new engine setup. Seems like it is hard to source a good set of covers, and the wrap comes in green! But I've read stuff online that wrap can make the exhaust too hot, cause a lean mixture and engine failure, or headers from cracking because of the heat. This may only apply in race applications and not in my family sedan car, but has anyone ever done it?
 #355936  by tafi300M
 March 10th, 2016, 8:56 am
As far as I know, and have seen on TV, the wrap does not cause engine failure. Sooo many wrapped manifolds out there. Just soak it before you wrap it on.
 #355945  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 10th, 2016, 12:24 pm
mattgendron wrote:Hey y'all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or input on using exhaust wrap instead of manifold covers for my new engine setup. Seems like it is hard to source a good set of covers, and the wrap comes in green! But I've read stuff online that wrap can make the exhaust too hot, cause a lean mixture and engine failure, or headers from cracking because of the heat. This may only apply in race applications and not in my family sedan car, but has anyone ever done it?
You know, Matt, I was going to reply and forgot, but I guess I am wondering what header wrap will look like on our manifolds. They won't be easy to wrap, and the stuff isn't good looking in any way.

If you want to have nice looking manifolds, I'd suggest getting a set jet-hot coated. That stuff looks great.

That said, those problems you've described there seem like pretty far-fetched problems.
I am active in the classic car world where exhaust wrap is used more often and I've never heard of any of that stuff.
 #355977  by beeblebrox82
 March 11th, 2016, 7:19 am
I wrapped mine. It was a pain and impossible to get complete coverage.
 #355980  by paintballdude05
 March 11th, 2016, 7:39 am
Is it possible to wrap them while they're still on the engine?
 #355987  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 11th, 2016, 8:49 am
beeblebrox82 wrote:I wrapped mine. It was a pain and impossible to get complete coverage.
Why?

What was the expected benefit?
Less heat?
 #355998  by beeblebrox82
 March 11th, 2016, 2:34 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote:
beeblebrox82 wrote:I wrapped mine. It was a pain and impossible to get complete coverage.
Why?

Less heat?

I broke the crap OEM tin shields getting them off the car. Seemed easier to wrap them a bit than to try to rescue another set of shields. Plus now there's more room to work. No expected benifet, just easier. I wouldn't do it unless I was swapping heads or manifolds anyway.
 #356000  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 11th, 2016, 2:54 pm
beeblebrox82 wrote:
Sneke_Eyez wrote:
Why?

Less heat?

I broke the crap OEM tin shields getting them off the car. Seemed easier to wrap them a bit than to try to rescue another set of shields. Plus now there's more room to work. No expected benifet, just easier. I wouldn't do it unless I was swapping heads or manifolds anyway.
I understand - I had forgotten entirely about those shields. Thanks Nate.
 #356002  by LUNAT1C
 March 11th, 2016, 3:38 pm
I briefly considered wrapping mine when I had to bust the upper passenger shield to get that manifold off. In seeing how buried the driver manifold is, I elected to bend the shield back into shape and use stainless washers and a salvage yard bolt in better shape to reinstall the shield.
 #356004  by beeblebrox82
 March 11th, 2016, 4:26 pm
I wouldn't try it in the car, would be a nightmare.
 #356019  by InfernoLime
 March 11th, 2016, 9:03 pm
beeblebrox82 wrote:
Sneke_Eyez wrote:
Why?

Less heat?

Thats the logic behind it for me. Stephan is putting the final touches on my new engine and manifold shields are hard to source that arnt rusted beyond the point of install. the wrap seems like an easier option, more room in the engine bay, and I can colour match them to my theme. So all in all, seems like an ok idea right guys?
 #356022  by beeblebrox82
 March 11th, 2016, 9:24 pm
i haven't had any issues with several thousand miles on the car, and the extra space is nice.
 #356027  by sparky99
 March 11th, 2016, 9:34 pm
I don't even have upper shields on mine at all... Been fine for going on 3 years....