Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Need info on replacing TPMS sensors in my M.

• Let's talk about maintaining tires and wheels
Carlisle 2017 Banner

Membership Banner

Let's talk about maintaining tires and wheels

Moderator: Moderators

#361612  by EasyRider300M
 September 15th, 2016, 8:01 am
I am having 2 new tires mounted on my rims.. Sensors are 14 years old so due for replacement. What brand is best to get and where can I get the best deal on them? I want to make sure the ones i buy are compatible with our tpms system.
 #361613  by M-Pressive
 September 15th, 2016, 8:04 am
Schrader and only Schrader.

I had Dorman in my rims last year and they were nothing but problems.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 43&jsn=366

23.99 on closeout at Rock Auto right now. I ordered 11 of them earlier this year for both cars. No issues since with the warnings in the car.
 #361615  by LUNAT1C
 September 15th, 2016, 8:58 am
I had four Dorman sensors installed when I bought new tires in 2013 on my SRTDs (LH sensors fit them). Two of them died 6 months later and were replaced with Schrader from RockAuto. The two Schrader and two remaining Dorman are working fine 3 years later. If I get new wheels and when I get new tires next year or the following year (pending the date code of my tires), I'll get Schraders (again, if I get new wheels).

Either way, when I need new sensors again I'll get Schrader. Dorman is hit and miss. If the price is right and you have a Discount Tire that will install them at no charge (mine replaced the two Dormans free of charge, but I had the tires installed there that year just before Indy), feel free to get the Dormans and cross your fingers. If you want one and done, get the Schraders. Between Keith and I in this thread we've have 6 of 8 Dormans fail and 0 of 6 Schraders fail. Maybe 0 of 10 since Keith changes wheels like underwear... :P
 #361619  by EasyRider300M
 September 15th, 2016, 2:17 pm
Thanks for the recommendations...been getting the warning message for over a year and my 14 year old valves still work but it's overdue for replacement...would they be able to change the valve without fully dismounting tire and without need for rebalancing?
 #361624  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 15th, 2016, 3:28 pm
EasyRider300M wrote:Thanks for the recommendations...been getting the warning message for over a year and my 14 year old valves still work but it's overdue for replacement...would they be able to change the valve without fully dismounting tire and without need for rebalancing?
No, the tire must be dismounted in order to replace the sensors.

Replacing the valve portions of the sensors themselves can be done without dismounting, but then you are still leaving the old sensors in place.
 #361625  by FalKen
 September 15th, 2016, 3:32 pm
I have replaced many sensors without totally dismounting the tire but I always checked the balance after because you still have to break the bead at the point where valve is mounted to get them out. all 4 tires are off the car anyway. you will save the shop and yourself time and money right then and there.
 #376135  by jim2891
 October 17th, 2018, 10:57 am
Is there any way to test to see if a sensor (and/or battery) is good without it being installed on the car? I am going to get different tires for my '04 soon and I have had 1 TPS bad for close to 2 years now (the others still work fine and shockingly I think they are all original!!!). If I could find some at the salvage yard, I would try to grab them but hate to do that if they turn out to be faulty as well.
 #376136  by beespecial
 October 17th, 2018, 1:33 pm
jim2891 wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 10:57 am
Is there any way to test to see if a sensor (and/or battery) is good without it being installed on the car? I am going to get different tires for my '04 soon and I have had 1 TPS bad for close to 2 years now (the others still work fine and shockingly I think they are all original!!!). If I could find some at the salvage yard, I would try to grab them but hate to do that if they turn out to be faulty as well.
The sensors in our cars have a sealed-in battery that cannot be replaced. A part such as this is best replaced with a new sensor. If you've been lucky enough to go this long on three original sensors and only 1 bad one, go ahead and replace them all. You can sometimes find some good deals on ebay for new ones. I would never go through the trouble and expense of installing a used pressure sensor.
 #376137  by Sonicrob
 October 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm
Will mixing brands cause an issue?
 #376141  by EasyRider300M
 October 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm
the consensus here is that the Shrader 20028 tpms is the best one to use..it's what the car came with and has proven to have a longer battery life than some of the others..stay away from Dorman....very easy to train once on car..directions are in the manual...you use the round training magnet that came with the car

it's available on amazon or on rockauto...use discount code on rockauto for 5% off

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chr ... nsor,12036
 #376142  by LUNAT1C
 October 17th, 2018, 4:43 pm
Sonicrob wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:52 pm
Will mixing brands cause an issue?
No. I had two Schrader, two Dorman, and one OEM (spare) for about five years with no problems. My last two Dormans s*** the bed this Spring, so I bought two Schraders and tossed them in the console of the Jeep (I always take only the wheels and tires, not the whole M, to the tire shop, so they can't damage the car, just toss them in the Jeep and they help me load and unload) until I was ready for new tires. Trip to Indy put a softball in a sidewall, so I had them put in back in June along with a fresh set of tires.

Of course now, I am getting a service TPMS warning all the time. All five sensors still re-train, so I'm assuming the spare tire might just need some air in it. Otherwise no idea what it could be. Shows the four mounted to the car as all reporting properly.
 #376800  by jim2891
 December 7th, 2018, 6:13 am
After receiving my replacement tires (bought on eBay), I just had the 4 TPMS that were already on the car used again and to my surprise, all 4 are working just fine now! It is nice to have good tires again with winter here. :D
Katzchen78 liked this