Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Thoughts on a 2007-08 Chrysler Pacifica

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#382234  by dcsally97
 February 8th, 2020, 12:09 pm
We are possibly looking into another vehicle for my wife. She is currently driving a Dodge GC SXT with over 280,000 miles on it. It has been a great van and hasn't needed much in the way of wrench turning. I was posting to find out if any of you have had or driven a 2007-08 Chrysler Pacifica. I have always liked them, especially with the 4.0l. I think I have my wife somewhat convinced, but the third row seating is a big deal for us. All of our children are teens or older, and sometimes all 6 of us will travel together. How crammed are the back seats? Thanks for any help.
 #382235  by sparky99
 February 8th, 2020, 12:43 pm
My father in law had one of the early Pacificas. I'm right at 6 foot tall and i could sit in the far back. not super comfortable but it was bearable. I tended to sit in the middle row if we were riding around as a family. Now, with that said, I only rode in it a hand full of times.
dcsally97 liked this
 #382241  by M-Pressive
 February 8th, 2020, 1:27 pm
I know they had some rusting/rotting issues with the frames.

I would just keep an eye out for that if you decide to look at one.
 #382242  by dcsally97
 February 8th, 2020, 1:32 pm
I have read about that as well. It seemed the 2004-06 models were affected the most. If I remember, it's the engine cradle.
 #382243  by adu1982
 February 8th, 2020, 3:12 pm
My cousin has had one for a few years. Knocking on about 200k with it no major issues.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#382246  by FIREM
 February 8th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Look at the cradle & strut tower areas for signs of rust/rot. Other than that the usual maintenance & occasional sensor issue appear to be solid. Rear suspension may have $pecial $$ shocks also. Not much support as far as forums etc.
 #382260  by hrmwrm
 February 10th, 2020, 2:20 am
of course the 4L is a timing belt engine like the 3.5's.
another thing to watch for.
 #382264  by LUNAT1C
 February 10th, 2020, 2:16 pm
I haven't asked her about it in a long time, but my best friend from high school's mother bought a 2006 Pacifica brand new as a leftover to replace her Caravan. She never had any bad things to say about it and loved it. The only thing she didn't care for was the 19" wheels, which made replacement tires expensive. That may have changed now that FCA has put 19" wheels on a lot of vehicles. My Journey had that size, but I didn't have it long enough to need new tires.

I'm not aware of major mechanical or electrical issues related to these. I would assume the third row will be tighter than a GC due to the sloping roofline and higher load floor, yet a bit better than the Journey (replacement for the SWB RT Caravan). At 6'4", the third row of the Journey I rented (my own was a 2-row) was a joke. I never sat in the third row of her Pacifica and she never used it, having only one teenage child when she bought it.

Justin Hopkins has owned a Pacifica or two. He might have more insight on general reliability.
 #382266  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Bobby (02SilverSpecial)'s son's mom has a Pacifica AWD that he has done maintenance work on.
She seems to like it and Bobby hasn't had bad things to say about it.
 #382267  by user97
 February 10th, 2020, 6:13 pm
I currently run two '04 Pacificas with 3.5... I believe 07+ is somewhat similar except for 4.0 engine, 6 speed tranny.

I like them, but they have a few weak spots:

1) They rust a lot less gracefully than LHs -- I had some rusty LHs -- a lot more trouble with rust on the Pacificas (CS).
a) Front subframes had to be replaced for rust on both of them
b) Electrical grounds fail due to rust
c) Water intrusion due to seam leakage in the trunk, rusting out connectors (green crusties) on the amplifiers

2) Engine mounts fail and if not attended to will cause AC line to be chewed through PS pump pulley and/or wiring harness damage

3) Dash materials shrinks and twists dash top cover

4) Mode door for the defrost fails inside HVAC box due to water intrusion (and freezing) -- again due to rust.

5) Exhaust rusts quicker than on LHs...

6) Rear control arms fail due to rust (5 link independent suspension in the rear)

7) Rear Nivomat strut failed due to rust

Short answer -- it is a GREAT car if you can get one that is NOT rusted. What would be a moderate amount of rust on LH will cause you a lot of pain on Pacificas. If you can find a rust-free Pacifica, you are golden... Great car otherwise...
 #382288  by 02SilverSpecial
 February 12th, 2020, 2:49 pm
My sons mother has a 2008 Walter P Chrysler AWD fully loaded. We got it almost 3 years ago with 60K miles and it now has 117K. During this time it has been, well let’s just say.... fun... Prior to this a coworker had a 2006 Limited so I was pretty aware of what to look for before we bought this one. Subframe rot. Strut tower rot, rocker panel rot. Her car is clear of the strut tower rot and rocker rot, however the subframe (which was replaced prior to purchase) is rotting after only 2.5 years.

Subframe bushings fail, and when they fail, you could be in for a world of hurt... See pictures:

Suspension is just as terrible as the LH, I’ve replaced every single component at least 3 times. Tie rod ends, links, control arms, bushings... The quality of the aftermarket parts are just not there....

Motor mounts... easy to replace but they have been replaced 5 times now and the car still isn’t smooth. They only used 3 mounts. One on each side of the engine block, and one on the top passenger side. Nothing, I mean nothing supports the transmission. The car idles smoothly but the weight of the power train causes the mounts to leak the hydraulic fluid out and the ride becomes very gruff between 1100-2500rpm with resonance throughout the cabin.

Timing belt is the same as the 3.5, but the transverse mounting makes it more time consuming and I just had to replace the water pump after only a year due to severe leaking...

Electronics wise it is a hybrid system that consists of PCI for the cabin and CAN for the power train which makes diagnosing things a challenge since you cannot do the key dance in the Pacifica after 2005. Generic scan tools cannot read any codes because of the hybrid system.

While it is a very attractive looking sports tourer, I would steer clear of any Pacifica that has ever been subjected to road salt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #382290  by dcsally97
 February 12th, 2020, 4:37 pm
Thanks all. It seems like these are potential problems. Fortunately, we have decided to look for another DGC or CT&C. The room as well as cargo space works better for us.