Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Been very busy lately....

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#384979  by sparky99
 July 10th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Well, not me exactly.. but yes, me too!!!

we have had some wood siding that was starting to crumble at the very bottom. It never really bothered us too much until last summer when we spent time redoing the front landscaping (new plants).
This year, we decided since we found a few more spots, that we would get it fixed. This will always help retain the value of the house, so it's a no-brainer.

So, I contacted a buddy of mine that does contracting and had him estimate fixing the siding. The house was originally the "sage green" color.
We had the siding pieces replaced, all of the window trim replaced and the post on the porch rebuilt (there was no support, just trim boards).

They came in at 1700 bucks for repairs.

I felt this was a good price as i wasn't comfortable doing the wood working part of the repairs.

then the quote to paint came........... ugh.

I had them quote:
caulking the wood siding
power washing the house
replacing the garage door seal
painting the front of the house
painting the garage door
painting the gutters
painting the gables on the sides of the house
painting the rear trim/soffits/gutters.

price quoted was 3500 bucks!!!

since I had a heart-attack, I got mad and bought some good paintable caulk and went to town caulking all the wood siding.
I've decided to paint it myself (we did have another quote done but may just do it myself regardless)
I figure I can do the caulking and painting.
I have a pressure washer, so its no big deal...

wish me luck! I'm busy as all get out. but my house will be beautiful...

#384980  by sparky99
 July 10th, 2020, 9:55 pm
The house will be repainted a medium tan with a very light tan window trim/garage door trim/house trim
we are also thinking of repainting the front door to a deep blue. It should pop well.

I'm no exactly excited about an all tan house, but it gets us that much closer to getting it ready to sell. (still 1.5-2 years out at this point.
 #384981  by hrmwrm
 July 10th, 2020, 11:20 pm
i justfy buying the tools to do jobs by the savings of doing it myself.
good power roller would simplify that job.
 #384984  by LUNAT1C
 July 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm
All depends on how willing you are to do the work yourself and trust yourself to do it right. Painting a house isn't easy and they'll have a crew of 3-4 guys get it done in 2-3 days. My MIL just had the old part of her house repainted (1940's house with original wood siding, with a 1990s addition adding an oversize garage and master bedroom/bathroom with vinyl siding). She had quotes from $3k-7k. She went with one of the lower quotes and couldn't be happier with the work they did. If I was quoted $3500 to paint the whole house, I'd take it.

Good thing is you can do some of the work yourself. Do the caulking and garage door seal yourself. Paint the door yourself. Let them power wash the house and paint at a reduced price.

We just got a quote of $5600 to replace 8 windows, with grids, double pane, rubber insulator instead of rigid metal, thick glass, replacement of some rotted trim, 50 year warranty. Home Depot quoted $7k and we have another company coming to quote the work next week.

Once that's done then I'll thinking about painting the house. Tons of wood trim, but the siding is aluminum so I'm not sure what my options are yet.
 #384994  by 00R/T
 July 12th, 2020, 8:26 am
Good for you! I’ve been focusing on interior projects and thought I’d be done by now, but I just keep adding things faster than I cross them off. The exterior of my house looks terrible so the first step out there will be to basically rip out all the landscaping and start over with that. Then, finally, will come paint. I have vinyl siding and it’s in great shape so I don’t *need* to do anything with it, but I hate the color and they have excellent paints for vinyl now.

I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Paint is one of those things that can totally transform a house, inside and out. It’s probably the most payback for the money as well, especially if you do it yourself. I’m an avid DIY’er but just absolutely despise painting and can’t get myself to do it.
 #384995  by monte4
 July 12th, 2020, 10:24 am
Doing as much of the work as possible yourself will definitely save you money. As said earlier do the caulking, garage door seal yourself. Hell I'd even do the power washing myself. I'd leave the painting to the pros though. Like you I had a heart attack just over 5 years ago but I'm doing just as much as I ever did. I just finished laying porcelain tile over my cement front porch that was in need of recapping. The pros wanted $2500 to recap it. I tiled it for $400. A couple days ago I replaced the support beam at the front of the porch with a pvc column and am in between coats of finished coat paint as I type this. Plus there's nothing like the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself and you know the job's done right (hopefully) :)
 #385006  by sparky99
 July 12th, 2020, 9:14 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:16 pm All depends on how willing you are to do the work yourself and trust yourself to do it right. Painting a house isn't easy and they'll have a crew of 3-4 guys get it done in 2-3 days. My MIL just had the old part of her house repainted (1940's house with original wood siding, with a 1990s addition adding an oversize garage and master bedroom/bathroom with vinyl siding). She had quotes from $3k-7k. She went with one of the lower quotes and couldn't be happier with the work they did. If I was quoted $3500 to paint the whole house, I'd take it.

Good thing is you can do some of the work yourself. Do the caulking and garage door seal yourself. Paint the door yourself. Let them power wash the house and paint at a reduced price.

We just got a quote of $5600 to replace 8 windows, with grids, double pane, rubber insulator instead of rigid metal, thick glass, replacement of some rotted trim, 50 year warranty. Home Depot quoted $7k and we have another company coming to quote the work next week.

Once that's done then I'll thinking about painting the house. Tons of wood trim, but the siding is aluminum so I'm not sure what my options are yet.
the worst part of the quote is this:

the whole house is vinyl siding that is in good shape.

the quote was for the front only!!! (well, the gables on the sides and soffits in back but thats just trim in my opinion)
I still think its a little much. Now, it it was the WHOLE house, I'd have them do it...
 #385010  by LUNAT1C
 July 12th, 2020, 11:09 pm
Yikes, yeah whole house would make more sense. I'm sure that figure will drop the more you do yourself. I would get multiple quotes. I have two quotes on windows so far and getting another this week (tomorrow, I think).
 #385026  by First Lady
 July 13th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Guys, these conversations are so grown up!!!

As a renter still (UGH!) it does make me thankful when I don't have to pay for any of those things...but boy do I look forward to the day where it is all mine!!

Love the blue door idea!! I helped my dad paint the front door of my childhood home red and will always remember it...get the your kids involved!!
 #385028  by 00R/T
 July 13th, 2020, 7:16 pm
First Lady wrote:Guys, these conversations are so grown up!!!

As a renter still (UGH!) it does make me thankful when I don't have to pay for any of those things...but boy do I look forward to the day where it is all mine!!

Love the blue door idea!! I helped my dad paint the front door of my childhood home red and will always remember it...get the your kids involved!!
Owning vs renting is a double edged sword. I always viewed renting as just throwing money away instead of building equity, and as being too restrictive. The thought of having to fix things didn’t really bother me because I like to do that. But, what I didn’t really account for is all the constant things you need to do or worry about just to keep things going. Just annoying little tasks that aren’t really fun. Like I’m out on my deck cooking dinner, and it’s awesome to look out over my yard and realize it’s all mine. That never gets old. But what does get old is wood, and I’m noticing that my railings really need to be cleaned and re-sealed because they’re getting quite grey.

The big thing you guys have going for you with renting is mobility, and that’s something that has tremendous value. When that perfect opportunity comes along out of state, you can call the movers and go. That’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately with my parents heading south. When (not if) I do the same, things are far more complicated due to me owning a house.
 #385030  by First Lady
 July 13th, 2020, 8:08 pm
00R/T wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:16 pm
First Lady wrote:Guys, these conversations are so grown up!!!

Owning vs renting is a double edged sword. I always viewed renting as just throwing money away instead of building equity, and as being too restrictive. The thought of having to fix things didn’t really bother me because I like to do that. But, what I didn’t really account for is all the constant things you need to do or worry about just to keep things going. Just annoying little tasks that aren’t really fun. Like I’m out on my deck cooking dinner, and it’s awesome to look out over my yard and realize it’s all mine. That never gets old. But what does get old is wood, and I’m noticing that my railings really need to be cleaned and re-sealed because they’re getting quite grey.

The big thing you guys have going for you with renting is mobility, and that’s something that has tremendous value. When that perfect opportunity comes along out of state, you can call the movers and go. That’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately with my parents heading south. When (not if) I do the same, things are far more complicated due to me owning a house.
For sure Steve!! All good points!! I do look forward to some day it and all the issue being my own as we're very over the dumb frustration of land lords. Ex: their son mows the lawn....well, sort of. He does it on a rider and it's too big to get between the deck and the side door to the garage...he use to weed whack but this summer he seems over it and has only done it once back in May. The grass is super long now and we just trample over it with the dog and trying to get into the garage. Could I say something, yes, of course but there's a list of things I could say like....please stop dumping the lawn clippings from your 4 properties here in a row just at the side of our driveway in the woods...can you at least walk it into the woods like you use to?! But I don't.

The mobility thing is also very true as we do aim to go south sooner than later but people sell houses every day and selling or renting the logistics of an out of state move are complex no matter how you fold it.

Some day!! Some day!!!
 #385031  by LUNAT1C
 July 13th, 2020, 8:59 pm
Sometimes getting out of a lease can be just as exhausting as selling a house. Our last lease wasn't too bad as the rental market in that town is still red hot. We took the furkids out for one afternoon, introduced them to the new house, and the landlords had a new tenant almost right away. And they were easy to deal with, very accommodating people.

BUT, our previous landlords were fine up until they decided to offload the house. We didn't want to buy it because we it knew it had MANY big dollar issues (new sewer line, new roof, possible asbestos in the attic, garage was in a bad state, and the basement walls were bowing in, typical in Berkley), so they became very aggressive sellers. Showing the house multiple times per day every day until they had an offer, which then fell through when the house failed inspection and the process repeated itself a dozen times before we could finally move. I had a very heated argument with the landlady's husband, who was driving the sale. Suffice to say, we each took our turns chewing him out for ignoring Nick's required sleep schedule and making me come home midday multiple times to get the dog out for inspections. Also ignoring our requests that he be there personally to ensure viewers kept the exterior doors closed so the cats wouldn't run away in fear. We came back once to find one of them outside the house and the back door wide open.

Promise I'm not salty about that experience...

So far our house hasn't had many surprises. I would have liked if the water softener worked (couldn't be checked during inspection) and if the irrigation system didn't cause nasty water hammer in the house (couldn't be checked in february, plumber coming out on Wednesday), but thems the beans. Also wish half the windows weren't fogged, but so far there isn't much more the house needs. Just more remodeling that we want to do. We had the furnace replaced on day two only because it was 27 years old had a bad CO leak and a dozen safety bypasses because the previous owners were cheap and lazy.
 #385032  by sparky99
 July 13th, 2020, 9:11 pm
The second painter was a hit!!! We use them at work and I spoke with them today. I will finish caulking the house, and they will paint for 1000 bucks plus the cost of paint (she is selling it to me at her cost).

guys! I am so relieved. I wasn't willing to pay 3500 dollars. And honestly, Steph and I had the conversation that if it was about a grand, that we would probably jump on it.
With vacation to Nashville coming up I was crunching hard to get everything done. Now, I have so much off my plate of worry...

We have decided to go with a very similar (still lighter) than the original "green" and go with "white" trim (off white) with the blue door.

I never thought I'd be excited to paint a house before... Its so...... Weird
First Lady, monte4 liked this
 #385033  by LUNAT1C
 July 13th, 2020, 9:13 pm
Awesome! I'm I'll be excited when do it... just not when we get to the part about writing the check for pressure washing and painting a two story house with tons of sawcut wood trim and aluminum siding... sigh...
 #385052  by sparky99
 July 14th, 2020, 9:38 pm
Today, my contractor came back and replaced the Garage door seal and replaced 4 bad siding boards. Its a relief to finally all the wood work done. Now, to finish caulking the house....

I have the front of the house 95% finished up with a couple of touch up spots to go, I went ahead and moved on to the north side of the house.

I filled some holes (per contractor recommendation) with wood putty. We had some carpenter bees eating some of the trim boards. Got those filled and caulked the whole north side and I have moved on to the east side but ran out of daylight.

I did purchase a new ladder today. its a Ascent Mighty Multi 22'. I love it already. With some previous 11% rebates, I got it for 113.00 dollars. I think it was well worth it. I can see many uses for this and it will come in handy.

Tomorrow, I hope to finish up the caulking and move onto power washing. I'd like to give it a good rinse before the painter does their magic.

wish me luck!!!

Oh! we leave for Nashville on Saturday....... lol
 #385069  by Sneke_Eyez
 July 15th, 2020, 11:43 am
Sounds like great progress, Robert! Congrats!

I am certainly conscious of the responsibility of the whole thing, but I am absolutely loving owning my own home.
 #385133  by 00R/T
 July 18th, 2020, 11:00 am
Sounds like great progress! That’s a lot of caulking. Can you still open your hand?
 #385181  by sparky99
 July 19th, 2020, 7:28 pm
00R/T wrote: July 18th, 2020, 11:00 am Sounds like great progress! That’s a lot of caulking. Can you still open your hand?
It really was a lot! Yeah, I made sure to keep my hands clean!! Lol. I think I used 10 or 11 tubes overall.

But.... finally all the caulking is finished up.

The painter came yesterday and pressure washed the house. They plan to come back and paint mid week.
We are currently out of town until Fri/Sat. So it should be painted when we get back. I’m anxious but excited to see the end result. I’ll update when we get home!
 #385255  by sparky99
 July 27th, 2020, 10:00 pm
GUYS!!!!!!!!!

They painted the house while we were gone! It looks amazing!

They have a few loose ends to finish up. They are supposed to come tomorrow to finish it up. I will get some pics up very soon!

This has been such a great decision to go with these painters. What a relief they have provided us.

Pics coming very soon!
M-Pressive, monte4 liked this
 #385256  by First Lady
 July 28th, 2020, 6:44 am
So awesome to hear and what a fun surprise to come home to!! Can’t wait to see it!!