• the time has come...

• General Discussions about the 300M
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#380277  by sparky99
 August 12th, 2019, 9:40 pm
It has come to me over the years how much everyone in the club have brought many good wishes, hopes and well beings to my beloved green "special". The years owning the car, modding it to become a club staple, meeting many fantastic people I now call family. I couldn't have asked for more over the years. On top of that, a car I've loved, but never truly felt completely worthy of the love you all have shown me and the car, you all have made me feel welcome, and you all have given me and the car some very special awards.
First, at Carlisle 2015, the "President's Award". I was so excited to come meet everyone, and hang out with the people who I had already called family. I was so honored when Keith called my name. Heck, the car didn't even have a head liner in it at the time. I will be honored and humble always. Then receiving the "ride of the month award" in September '16, it was awesome to have people think mine was the best of that group. Anyone in that contest deserved that award. Then that following "Ride of the Year" contest was a nail biter. I was very proud to have such a close race with John, ultimately John winning told me how much people liked the car. Then we went to the Indy meet in 2016, It was a very good meet. I always love seeing club people close to my hometown. Winning the award for "Most Custom" was a fantastic feeling. Having people vote for your car is unreal. Let alone winning.
I had thought it was only up from there. I've enjoyed this club and all of the members. Its a great place to come talk shop, learn all there is to know about the LH platform. I really can't thank each one of you all for all the help and ideas you have given me over the years. My hopes for the car were getting higher and higher. At this moment (late 2017/early 2018) I learned how you can go from high to low, very quickly. I went through a very tough time keeping the car on the road. Cam sensors, crank sensors, and the one I thought was going to land me and my family in the hospital (or 6 feet under), a blown brake line while panic stopping on the highway. I was all mostly easy to recover from. Heck, it was only money... At this time, I was spending way too much on the car and little did I know, it was hurting my family, the car came first, then second, I was spending money I didn't really have on the car, even if it seemed like a good deal. But it wasn't, because it was adding up.

I had repaired the car and was feeling very good about it. Heck, it drove great, it stopped great and was doing really good. I was starting to feel like my bad luck was starting to turn around. Then it happened, a coolant leak. I thought nothing about it at first, I ignored it. Then it got a little worse. I talked with the wife and she wasn't happy but I had her convinced it could be fixed. We really didn't have the money to throw at it again but it was ok. The only problem was I had to drive it until the weekend. Then I could get in and repair it. Nursing the car along and topping off the coolant every day seemed to help but it ended up biting me hard. The timing belt snapped thus the possibility of bending most or all the valves in the engine. I had the car towed home, and I began tearing it down. I know people get lucky everyday. Heck, its a 50/50 shot right? Got the car torn down and tossed a belt on it. I figured if it started, I'd replace the belt/pump/tensioner kit and more. I love this car so it would be worth it. Got the belt on, and turned the key and all you could hear was the crank spinning. No compression, nothing. There was no resistance to the crank. I checked and rechecked the timing to make sure it was right. It was, too bad right? With the motor being rebuilt at 167K and having the heads milled past the service limit then, I'm positive, all of the valves are bent. I began looking for an engine replacement. Carlisle was nearing, I didn't want to miss seeing my car family. I had picked up a free Dodge Intrepid and was in the middle of repairing that car. SO, I hurried and got the Intrepid running and drove it to Carlisle '18. Little did I know, that was a huge mistake.
After Carlisle I talked with a buddy who had a LHS with a good engine. I had to have it but money was so tight he couldn't hang on to it any longer. I lost the car I had planned on harvesting the engine out of. It was a huge blow. It brought me to a pretty low time. I had no money to repair the engine so I parked the car and put storage insurance on it. Started daily driving the Intrepid.
Fast forward, Keith had messaged me about doing the "ride of the month" in Sept'18. I agreed and put the car in. I was shocked that the car won the contest. Well, as you all know, It put me in the "Ride of the Year" contest and I don't know how, but the car won. I was humble and shocked beyond belief. I can't fathom how the car got enough votes to win. BUt it did. It won the best award our club has. It brought a lot of sunshine to my gloom over the car lately. I pushed hard to get an engine for the car. I looked high and far. I had called every yard around and they just wanted too much. How do you put a price on an engine when its going in to your car? Well, it was just too much. THe wife and i had many heated discussions about it. Some good and a bunch that were not good at all. Back to arguing about the car was not a place to be in. Plus, at this time, the wife's car was too far gone for me to keep it. We had come to the dicision to get her another car to drive. We picked up a new car for her. We had many discussions about it, I got upset a couple times about her getting a new car and my green car just rotting away in the driveway. I just couldn't do it anymore. So, here i am. sitting inside while the car is outside getting rained on, sitting in the driveway wasting away. I feel so bad for saying this but here it is, Its time to say good bye to the car. I just can't justify it anymore. I'm tired of the arguments, I'm tired of the car getting more and more rust. The dash cracking away. I feel like i'm letting every single member in the club down. I really hate to do it but it just got to the point of we can't afford to do it anymore. Its just not worth throwing money at it again. So, here i am, getting ready to do the deed. I need to part with the car.
i can tell you all, i've thought about this time and time again. I've spent countless hours trying to figure out how to save the car but this is a short list it would take to get it back to its former glory.

The list is tough for me but here it is.

the motor is toast.
the transmission is weak, still works but i don't know for how long
the doors had seam rust inside which has made it's way outside
the rear quarters need repaired due to rust.
the hood has rust at the seams, and rust under the body filler at the front edge.
the headliner i spent too much on is now falling and needs redone again.
the roof needs repaired at the top of the windshield (rust)
the dash has multiple cracks in it.
the car needs repainted (Completely)

this list and many other things is what tells me it s time. Its the hardest decision i've made in a while. It sucks. I'm sorry all. Keith, I'm sorry brother. I feel like i'm letting you down. I had promised it would get fixed. Its not and i feel bad.

My future plans:
The Dodge Intrepid stays, I will not be leaving the club. My plans are to harvest every single mod. All good parts from the green car and use what i can in the Intrepid. The intrepid has a cracked dash, and needs a evap core to fix the broken A/C. I will put in a 300m Dash along with the rest of the Green car's interior. That has already begun. I will pull off the front bumper/rear bumper/headlights/Tail lights and sell. I cannot use them on the Intrepid. There will be other parts listed for sale too. If i can use it, I will. It will be transfered over. If not, I will sell it as i won't use it. SO, keep an eye out. I will be putting a list of stuff for sale soon. The shell of the car (with the Intrepid seats in it) will be scrapped. There just isn't much left that will be in great shape. I hope to haul it away within the next week or so.

I'm sorry guys. I really hate to, but I am out of options.
 #380279  by In-trepid
 August 12th, 2019, 10:47 pm
Always hard to let go of a prized possession, but it sounds like its time has come. Good luck in transferring parts over and selling the extras. With any luck, the car lives on in a number of member's cars and we all get a last look in next year's calendar. It was a great car, brought great joy to you, and will forever be remembered as the only green "Special" in the club.
FIREM, StealthM, beespecial and 1 others liked this
 #380283  by FIREM
 August 13th, 2019, 6:41 am
Hard to read but understanding that once the decision is made move forward.
I struggle with the same thoughts when I prep FIREM for the shows. One day the time will come and I don't know how I will deal with it. Age is catching up with all of us.
The Pro-Am aka my "Truck". While it is an M it is very very tired and really is near the end of its life. While it is a "rolling spare parts car" I am struggling with the same decision. Looks like you may have helped me figure out what to do. Listing the pros and cons of the vehicle looks like I will try and get thru the winter with it and give up.
It is better to have memories of how great your "Soccer Mom Green Special"(LOL) was and moving on to a "fresh canvas" to see where that takes you.
Null, StealthM, beespecial and 1 others liked this
 #380284  by M-Pressive
 August 13th, 2019, 9:32 am
We already connected through text this morning but I wanted to jump in here as well.

The cars are merely a vessel that bring people to the group. We are all going to be faced with the decision you are dealing with now. I am getting there with my daily as well.

The cars will come and go, the friendships and feelings are something that will continue to stay with us long after the cars have left our lives. The car brought you to this club and the club is better with you in it! Your ability to juggle family, career, cars and being a member of the BOD is commendable!

Keep pushing ahead and let me know if there is anything I can do to help out! The most important thing is that you stay active here and continue to be a part of the family.

Good luck!
FIREM, StealthM, sparky99 liked this
 #380290  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 13th, 2019, 10:49 am
Hey bud, we all will need to come to this decision sooner or later.

Don't feel like you're letting anyone in this Club down - you do a lot for this Club with your responsibilities on the BOD and your active participation on the forums. That makes you a great member.

Whether you have an LH or not (yes I know you are keeping the Intrepid) we all enjoy having you around and having you as a participant in this Club. The cars, as Keith said, are merely a vessel that brings people to the Club. The relationships are what make people stick around.

Many, many of us know what this feeling is like - I just fixed Ashley's Pro Am after about 4 weeks of downtime due to stupid issues.
I thought about simply selling the car and moving on numerous times during that time.
And I've honestly had the same feelings about my Special - you know, the car that overheated before it could participate in the Carlisle winners parade this year? Talk about feeling like your award-winning car is a POS and wanting to walk away right then and there.
And I think if Ashley is honest, she feels like my Special has become a huge money pit for us, with me spending thousands on it every single year despite my repeated assurances that the car is a great DD because it doesn't have a monthly payment.

I think this is shows that anymore (after 15 years of car age at minimum), LH ownership is a passion, and when you lose the passion for a particular car because it is eating through your money and time, it is a good idea to move on, even if the decision is hard.

It is coming for our 2 DD LHs, I'm not exactly sure when, but it will come, and it will be just as difficult a decision to make.

If there is something I can help you do to make the process easier, reach out.
In the meantime, keep being a great member of this Club.
sparky99 liked this
 #380292  by LUNAT1C
 August 13th, 2019, 11:23 am
I have only one suggestion, and that is to STOP believing that you're letting any one of us down in making this decision. Not a single person in this club matters in this decision, but you. That car led a very long and hard life before you even got your hands on it. To restore any car from the point that it's at now to something like showroom condition takes a lot of will and a lot of money from the same person. Not very many people meet that, even here in the club. I don't. Whenever I'm at a show and I see a 50 year old car or a 20 year old car in Concours condition, my first thought is always, "Wow, some dedicated person poured gobs of money and man-hours into this car, and that's amazing".

The name of club has a very key word in it. ENTHUSIASTS. Just because the car has reached the end of the road, does NOT mean the enthusiasm has as well. My personal opinion is that the far superior option open to you is to pull the good parts off the car, put what you can on the Intrepid that is running much better, and sell the rest. What ever money you make from the parts, put into the Intrepid to fix whatever it needs, and into the family if you can. Ultimately what you need right now is a reliable car and a happy family. Exactly what the car is, is totally irrelevant.

You aren't letting the club down one iota. What we want you to do is keep yourself and your family in the best possible position.

Something many of us say is we won't dump our M's until the wheels fall off. We say it in jest, but the reality is that is a saying that can take any form, and some day it will for all of us. No car will last forever, and that's fine. I've always said that when my engine lunches itself, I'll be evaluating my options, including the scrapyard. Close this chapter, and move on to the next.

Let us know how we can help.
sparky99 liked this
 #380293  by sparky99
 August 13th, 2019, 12:18 pm
I appreciate it everyone.
Sneke_Eyez, beespecial liked this
 #380294  by dcsally97
 August 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm
Hey Robert, this is not horrible news. The Green Special will live on in the Intrepid as well as other peoples cars. I know first hand what you mean about spending too much. We all want our cars to be something cool. In reality, the cool thing about our cars is the people driving them. As the guys have stated above, the cars are just a vessel of a common interest. I'm glad that I have been able to meet quite a few of you guys now. We all have pretty diverse lives beyond the club, again, something that makes us unique. Be proud of what you accomplished! I have always liked your car. At least you aren't going to be out a ton of money, since the parts are right there. Keep your head up my friend. I'm sure the Intrepid will be gracing the calendar before too long. Can't wait to see the build updates.
Sneke_Eyez, sparky99 liked this
 #380296  by beespecial
 August 13th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Robert, what you accomplished with your green Special should be celebrated. And it will be as Ride of the Year. The fact that it's time is done just shows that in the end, it's still just a machine, and time and use of our favorite machines is a battle we all, unfortunately, will eventually lose. And speaking of losing, you can lose that idea that you're letting the club down. Quite the contrary. Your contributions to club via BOD involvement and sharing your modding experiences are priceless. You'll always be a valued member of this thing of ours, the club family.
Now it's time to work your magic on the Intrepid.
Sneke_Eyez, StealthM, InfernoRedM and 2 others liked this
 #380307  by First Lady
 August 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Robert you had me in tears (and a lot of tears for that matter!!!!!) reading your post!! Not because the car is getting parted out but the anguish I felt from reading it!!!! As all others have said....it's not a let down at all!! Be proud of the wonderful memories and accomplishments with that car!! Hold them tight and move on. When it's time for each of us, we'll be there! Regardless of any car, I'm just so happy it was a means of meeting you and having you as part of the family. Nothing changes that going forward!! You're a true asset to the club!!!!

Hopefully the progress to taking out what you want and moving it to the intrepid goes will and is a good closure with the car for you. Having the weight of it in your life isn't worth it, you and your family are more important to all of us than that!!

Let us know how we can help and we'll look forward to seeing you again soon!!!
sparky99, beespecial, Null and 1 others liked this
 #380308  by sparky99
 August 14th, 2019, 6:46 pm
I hit a hard low, it sucks. I can’t thank you all enough for the love and support you’ve all shown. This is why you all are family to me.
beespecial liked this
 #380310  by adu1982
 August 14th, 2019, 8:03 pm
I feel you're pain. I've been saying for about 6 months I will get rid of at least 2 cars, 4 cars, all running for , 2 people it's just too much. Plus I keep have to move them around ....but I keep finding reasons to not give them up yet. Either I got to fix this or that......it's a bug, and that's why it hurts and makes you feel like you are letting yourself and others down , but at some point , just like us , they all got to "die". I promised my self I will keep the LHS for a long long time as it was the first car I truly started working on and turned this thing of ours into a passion more than need. But we keep driving it and she keeps adding miles.....I still keep track of most expenses even though its starting to feel like I shouldn't , otherwise at some point I might just give them all up.
I feel for you brother.......but it is what it is.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

sparky99 liked this
 #380334  by 00R/T
 August 16th, 2019, 10:36 am
I’m in the same place. I understand completely. Back 5 years ago or so after my Intrepid had sat for years (blown radiator) I decided to get it back on the road. I drained all the old fuel, put the new radiator in, got a new battery, reseated the flat tire with starting fluid and a lighter and almost lost my foot in the process. Lol

I started it. It sounded great. The stereo system (now dated, but once too notch) came to life. I put it in drive. It moved under its own power! As I maneuvered around to get it into the garage to change the fluids, the brake lines blew out and I lost the brakes completely. Hammered the parking brake and the cable snapped. The car didn’t stop until it hit my mom’s car.

I rolled it back into the back yard with its newly cracked bumper, spent over a grand fixing my mom’s car, and there’s it’s sat. My dad has been on my case to move it to my house since he’s selling their house next year and wants to plant new grass where the car is. I took a look at it last weekend, and it’s a mess. The paint is now gone. It needs a complete respray. So, my list is now tires, brakes, most of the suspension, brake lines, ac evap and compressor, and that’s only the things I know about.

I never thought I’d get to this point, but it doesn’t make sense to fix the car at this point. It would be completely irresponsible to spend the money it would take to do so. Like you, my plan is to salvage some parts, namely those with sentimental value, and keep them. Maybe I’ll try to find a way to make some garage art out of parts of it. But, that’s it.

It’s a terrible feeling, I know. You’re doing what’s right for you and your family, though, and that’s the most important thing.
 #380335  by EasyRider300M
 August 16th, 2019, 11:40 am
Your incident just goes to show that our aging cars, if not proactively maintained, can become outright dangerous to drive. In the past, I had two of my struts collapse onto the tires (2 separate incidents ) which could have led to disaster if I was on the highway at the time. On another occasion, I totally lost my brakes due to a line blowing out. Luckily I was able to maneuver around a car in front of me. Another incident was when one of my gas tank straps broke while I was driving...if I hadn't realized it and then the other one broke, that could have been disastrous.

As years go by, those members who want to keep their cars on the road will either have to have a boat load of money to pay a mechanic or the skills to repair their cars themselves.

I only drive about 2000 miles a year now so it wouldn't make sense to buy a new car. But I have put thousands of dollars in repairs and maintenance into this car to keep it drivable. Being a senior citizen, hopefully my car with only 86,500 miles on it will last till I no longer am able to drive
 #380383  by sparky99
 August 19th, 2019, 10:00 pm
thank you all for the kind words. I know this is the "responsible" thing to do, but it effing sucks. Tearing your love apart to sell/salvage in another car is not as fun as it sounds.

the intrepid looks better than ever, however its just not the same. I don't think I can ever make the intrepid as prestigious as the green "special".
however, she will live on in several cars. most members, but some non members as well.

and as I am trying to come to terms with it, its getting easier. very slightly, yet easier none the less.
FalKen, dcsally97 liked this