Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Are 300m special 18" rims desirable?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#381394  by bobotech
 November 30th, 2019, 1:58 am
I found a set of 4 18" 300m special rims at the pick and pull. The tires are worthless and the rims honestly are in rough shape. One of them appears to have more road rash and damage then the others. 135 dollars is what the yard will sell them for out the door. Then I'd have to spend time getting them sandblasted, powder coated, etc.

Or just let them be?
 #381395  by LUNAT1C
 November 30th, 2019, 2:17 am
They used to be. Not so much anymore, IMHO. I've probably left behind a collective set of them at the yard, as they're usually too rough or there just isn't a market anymore. Around me, $125 per wheel is the norm for restoring a wheel. $500 for a full set. In a lot of cases, that's well over 25% the value of the car. I'd be surprised if you could get that much for a refurb'd set. I have two sets in my basement with one set needing bead blasting and repainting, and they'll stay down there since I haven't seen the LH community bite for that much lately. Eventually I might offer them up for a couple hundred just to clear out my stash, but they'll be hard to move I think unless I find someone on FB marketplace who's interested.
 #381396  by bobotech
 November 30th, 2019, 3:16 am
That's kind of what I was thinking. My 2001 300m is nothing special anymore. Just a nice used car. I am actively looking for a set of nice rims for out though just because I don't want to swap out the snow tires that are on my stock chrome 12 spokes. And I don't have a good set of Summer tires yet. Heck, if I put those 300 special rims on, no one would even notice. Worth 500-600 to get them nice? I don't think so.
 #381398  by hrmwrm
 November 30th, 2019, 9:40 pm
16 or 17 are cheaper rubber than 18's.
my lhs has the 17 factory still for summer rims, and a good set of first gen 16 rims for winter.
had them soda blasted and painted them black.
like the higher sidewalls for ride quality.
 #381411  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 2nd, 2019, 10:34 am
As others said, they really aren't desirable anymore.

The good news is that they're relatively easy to refinish yourself if you otherwise get them for cheap.
Little bit of JB weld and some paint or plastidip and you can generally get them looking good again.
 #381415  by bobotech
 December 2nd, 2019, 4:07 pm
I actually passed on them. They were badly rashed in spots. like I was worried that the rim was dented but I had a hard time seeing because one of the tires had a lot of embedded rocks and pebbles between the tire bead and the rim edge by the tire bead.

I passed on them. I did snag 3 beautiful 10 spoke chrome 17s that were in the yard on a newly donated 2002. 33 dollars a piece. 2 of them had okay rubber, 6/32nds wear and the other had 8/32nds wear. The one with 8/32nds was a Eagle LS that was in the spare tire well. Now I just need one more 10 spoke 17" to match the set and then I will have a really nice set of 17s for the summer. I have 4 nice winter studdless snows on my 17" 12 spoke chrome wheels but the wheels aren't in the best of shape, flaking in spots so they make good winter wheels.
 #381562  by Countachqv
 December 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm
Need to jump in defense of the 18" lol. Lets forget the money discussion for a moment because if money is in play with car value etc, then it messes things all up. Frankly anyone being on this board has to have something more toward the M than just a cheap ride. There are much cheaper and newer ride today.
But if you like the 300M and want the nice pressure monitoring option, get some nice 18" put on new sensors and get the 2002 overhead computer. Did this in my former pro-am.
It is true that redoing 4 rims new is about 500 - 600 (get them straight, de-scoffed and repainted). That is what it cost me to have a set of rims done to new a few years ago and to add the original new michelin tires well conserved was another $300. Still have the rims stored in the basement. Brand new wheels just like out of the factory. Used them only a couple of times. But again dont start with rims that are too beat up.
 #381584  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 16th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Countachqv wrote: December 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm Need to jump in defense of the 18" lol. Lets forget the money discussion for a moment because if money is in play with car value etc, then it messes things all up. Frankly anyone being on this board has to have something more toward the M than just a cheap ride. There are much cheaper and newer ride today.
But if you like the 300M and want the nice pressure monitoring option, get some nice 18" put on new sensors and get the 2002 overhead computer. Did this in my former pro-am.
It is true that redoing 4 rims new is about 500 - 600 (get them straight, de-scoffed and repainted). That is what it cost me to have a set of rims done to new a few years ago and to add the original new michelin tires well conserved was another $300. Still have the rims stored in the basement. Brand new wheels just like out of the factory. Used them only a couple of times. But again dont start with rims that are too beat up.
But it is less about money and more about desirability, right?
I think most people just aren't looking for Special rims anymore, so spending money to have a set refinished is just as you said, a passion project, not for the casual owner.

I have a set right now that needs to be refinished and I have no idea what to do with them.
I'm mostly keeping them in case one of my winter Special wheels gets damaged.
 #381585  by LUNAT1C
 December 16th, 2019, 2:30 pm
Countachqv wrote: December 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm Need to jump in defense of the 18" lol. Lets forget the money discussion for a moment because if money is in play with car value etc, then it messes things all up. Frankly anyone being on this board has to have something more toward the M than just a cheap ride. There are much cheaper and newer ride today.
Well, if the question was, "I found some decent Special 18's in the yard, should I clean them up and put them on my car?" I'd have said go for it. They're high on my list of favorite stock wheels, up there with the Crusader wheels from the Intrepid R/T.

But, the question was whether there was any money in acquiring used beat up wheels and reselling them (with or without expensive refurbishment), which there isn't.

I'm all for saving these rare parts and using them, or getting them into the hands of someone who wants them, but no one is going to do it today with the goal of making any money. That ship sailed a decade ago, unfortunately.

I have two full sets of Special 18s with tires and sensors in my basement. One from the blue car and one from the black car. All of the tires are expired now, and the set from the blue car needs to be refinished ($500 bill to do it professionally, I failed at doing it myself and the clear coat I used turned yellow). I'm open to selling at least one of them as we're looking at buying a house and moving in a few months and don't want to throw out my back getting 8 wheels and tires up from the basement... which have been moved from storage unit to basement to basement for nearly 10 years now, as the cars have been on their summer wheels and tires permanently. I came close last week to needing to replace the tires on one set so I could drive my car on snowy days, but I finally have my Jeep back from its extensive warranty work. I *may* get a set of used newer tires on them and mount them for winter storage of the cars, but honestly I've never suffered flat spotting in either car.... and the black car has sat for close to 3 years on its current tires.

I don't know if I'll sell either set of not, but I do know I'll have difficulty doing it until I find someone local who wants to buy new tires and repaint them themselves, or can transport to Carlisle. Hard to do the latter with the car full of show stuff and the club grille.

But I digress. Do people want them? Sure. Are people willing to pay a premium now? Not at all.