• What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Carlisle Chrysler Nationals

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#384139  by LUNAT1C
 May 15th, 2020, 5:52 pm
I had my car outside today as I cleaned and packed the garage, tossing what I don't need anymore. Moving day tomorrow! Backing it back into the garage, I noticed a thumping noise from the front, mostly passenger side. Rolled the car back and forth in the driveway and noticed lots of thumping in reverse, none forward. I didn't see anything obviously binding through the wheels or engine, so I'll have to inspect the front end once I get the car to the new house.

Also, since that's obviously not enough, there was a small oil slick on the driveway where the car had been sitting and running, right under the engine. The oil pan has been wet for quite a while. I suppose it's tired of waiting for me... No signs of dripping on the driveway or in the garage, but it rained while the car was outside and I saw the rainbow on the concrete.

So, probably no new mods for Carlisle if it still happens. Just repairs.
 #384141  by In-trepid
 May 15th, 2020, 7:49 pm
Robert, are you sure that it came from the oil pan? Sometimes the transmission lines leak and cause two things to happen.
1. The transmission oil puddles on the driver's side just back of the radiator. It then leaks into the trough under the radiator which has a drain hole on either side. As the trough builds up with trans fluid and dirt, it tends to leak out the hole on the driver's side onto the plastic part that supports the "U" channel on the Special bumpers and it leaks anywhere along that "U" channel.
2. If the transmission lines are leaking, especially the lower return line, it will leak back along the line toward the transmission and drip at the plastic line support attached to about the second bolt back on the oil pan.
Good luck. If you find the problem to be a leaking oil pan gasket and need some help with the oil pan R & R, I've done a couple of these. I would be more that glad to help.
 #384144  by LUNAT1C
 May 15th, 2020, 9:26 pm
The transmission lines at the radiator have been weeping for a few years, and even dripped about 7 years ago. I have a new set of OEM lines waiting for the energy to put them in, might be time to do it while I’m under there.

The oil pan has been wet for years. Not enough to really drip, but I can dab a paper towel almost anywhere on it and come away with oil. I suspect the gasket is done. I just hope the pan itself is fine, as I first noticed it after having the trans rebuilt in 2015, and I know there is a sequence to installing the bolts of the pan and trans collar to avoid damage to the pan. The trans shop did screw up the trans R&R already, as the driver’s downstream O2 sensor connector was never remounted, and it melted on the exhaust a few years ago. I had to replace the sensor and rebuild the connector from a yard car harness.

The first slick I saw today appeared to be directly under the oil pan. There was a second smaller slick nearer to the garage that appeared to be on the passenger side. Both had that rainbow appearance.

Tomorrow is moving day. I’m not sure if the car will make it to the new house tomorrow or Sunday, but I’ll check the oil and trans fluid before it leaves the rental house for the 30 minute drive. Inspection will need to wait until we’re settled into the new house.
 #384146  by In-trepid
 May 15th, 2020, 10:52 pm
Remember that checking transmisssion fluid needs to be done with it hot.
 #384186  by sparky99
 May 18th, 2020, 7:41 pm
working on building a list of the needed components for the car, I just got a white board I will put up in the garage.

Fix AC (I think the ac compressor is bad)
Install new tires on the 18's (ordered them a few minutes ago!)
install intake spacer
repaint upper plenum
rear brake pads
replace the front brake rotors (warranty as they are warped)
install 1st gen rear speaker grilles
install Special mirrors

I have almost everything. I just need the time to do it!!!
 #384191  by KxWarrior
 May 19th, 2020, 6:31 am
Just found my purge solenoid all busted up on the Intrepid. Another thing on the list of making her roadworthy :?
 #384247  by sparky99
 May 21st, 2020, 2:36 pm
Just got off the phone (well a couple hours ago) my tires are getting mounted and balanced tomorrow. It’ll be nice to have the 18’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #384250  by EasyRider300M
 May 21st, 2020, 7:07 pm
KxWarrior wrote: May 19th, 2020, 6:31 am Just found my purge solenoid all busted up on the Intrepid. Another thing on the list of making her roadworthy :?
What is involved in replacing a purge solenoid?
 #384251  by M-Pressive
 May 21st, 2020, 9:13 pm
Finally made a signature that included both cars.
dcsally97 liked this
 #384258  by dcsally97
 May 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
The color combo on the Black Special looks very nice. That should've been a factory option.
M-Pressive liked this
 #384266  by M-Pressive
 May 22nd, 2020, 7:55 pm
dcsally97 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm The color combo on the Black Special looks very nice. That should've been a factory option.
Thanks! It is my favorite combo so far. I plan on keeping it for a while.
 #384273  by sparky99
 May 22nd, 2020, 9:35 pm
last night I swapped the Special wheels onto the Intrepid to prepare for the mount and balance.
Loaded the new tires in the back seat and went to bed.

I took the car to the shop and they mounted and balanced the tires. It drives so smooth now... It was WELL OVERDUE!!!

Also, I got the silver special mirrors out, and found the Special door harnesses I got from Doug quite a while ago... I hope to start on that project very soon....
 #384276  by dcsally97
 May 23rd, 2020, 7:55 am
sparky99 wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 9:35 pm last night I swapped the Special wheels onto the Intrepid to prepare for the mount and balance.
Loaded the new tires in the back seat and went to bed.

I took the car to the shop and they mounted and balanced the tires. It drives so smooth now... It was WELL OVERDUE!!!

Also, I got the silver special mirrors out, and found the Special door harnesses I got from Doug quite a while ago... I hope to start on that project very soon....
I was wondering when those would come into play. Can't wait to see the finish product.
 #384306  by ggariepy
 May 25th, 2020, 10:38 pm
How does "almost got killed by a catastrophic brake pad failure" sound?

I bought the parts to do maintenance to the new 2000 Intrepid from RockAuto. I got the usual: Gates timing belt/water pump/tensioner/pulley assembly, Gates belts and hoses, a new thermostat, a driver's side lower control arm (ball joint was bad) four new rotors and two sets of pads, a pair of new fuel tank straps, and some CU-NI brake line. Did the timing belt/water pump job on Friday, did the LCA job on Saturday, took a day to rest and then did the brake pads and rotors today.

I went out for the test drive this evening and was bedding in the pads on a 55MPH highway. About three miles into the drive I heard a KLUNK! when I stepped on the brakes, but the car stopped as normal. The next time I stepped on the brakes, well, the pedal went down to the floor and I had maybe 30% braking capacity, and things were going ka-Bang! ka-Bang!. Fortunately I kept driving the car instead of panicking, and I managed to avoid rear-ending the people in front of me and diverted the car into a turn-around in the middle of the highway. (Always keep driving the car!)

The driver's side front outer pad separated from the spring clip that attaches it to the caliper. The fastener (I believe it's a rivet, but I'm not sure) sheared right off the pad. That was the KLUNK! I heard. The ka-Bang! ka-Bang! was the pad hitting the inside of the wheel and caliper as centripetal acceleration kept it rotating with the wheel.

To make matters worse, the tow truck operator managed to tear the outer CV joint boot when he hooked his chain to the lower control arm, so now I get to replace that, too.

I'm going to be having a word with the folks over at RockAuto in the morning. It seems some of their stuff isn't made all that well.
 #384307  by EasyRider300M
 May 26th, 2020, 10:37 am
I think you need to have a word with the tow truck company too. They should pay for the damaged CV boot replacemenet...get a quote for cost to replace it by a mechanic.