Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#385812  by Null
 September 14th, 2020, 3:06 pm
I opted to let my mechanic look for the parts i needed. Strut rods were replaced today
M-Pressive, monte4 liked this
 #385826  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 16th, 2020, 4:36 pm
I am off on Friday and will be trying to get some buffing done on a scratch on the Fusion. If it comes off relatively quickly, I may attempt some buffing of the Special as well. We will see.
 #385840  by KxWarrior
 September 17th, 2020, 3:26 pm
Actually did some work to the intrepid! Installed the supports for the radiator support. Charger got a new caliper(was sticking), and think i might wash them soon before It gets too cool out
 #385841  by LUNAT1C
 September 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Hoping I have the energy to work on the car this weekend. A bunch of suspension/steering parts came in today that I want to get done before OC.
 #385899  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 22nd, 2020, 7:48 am
Friday I got the scratch buffed off the Fusion. Didn't get anything done at all on the Special.

Yesterday morning on the way to work the AC belt was squealing away. So last night I went out and tightened it more.
Seems to be good now based on this morning's ride in.
 #386007  by LUNAT1C
 October 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm
Well, I have all the component to do my suspension, however the time to do it did not materialize. When the changing of the season begins, normal people get the sniffles and a cough.

Not I, oh ho! Nay, I get run over by a dump truck loaded with Strep. The same week my in-laws visit from Philly. Figures.

So the car has sat untouched for weeks. Last night I finally got around to pulling down the EVIC so I can experiment with some ice blue tint on the LCD and see the visual impact of that along with some T3 LED bulbs installed in place of the incandescents. One of mine is blown, so I need to replace them anyway.

Unfortunately, after applying 15 layers of tint, the color isn't the same as the button color and the image on the screen is getting fuzzy and dark. I may just stick to having the OEM green screens with light blue buttons everywhere. Not sure yet. Gauges won't match either. I'll switch it all for OC and see how I like it as the trip progresses. Similar bulbs are going into the ATC to the complete the look already shown by the clock, light switch, key ring, and radio.

I also have a dual Type-C USB pass-through coming in to replace the dual Type-A unit in the car now that has been causing me issues.

I won't be doing the suspension before OC. Everything is pretty OK looking as far as being able to get it all apart, but I don't want to run into issues so close to the trip, not to mention still needing to find a mechanic to do an alignment here in Waterford. It'll wait for next year.
 #386012  by First Lady
 October 2nd, 2020, 9:21 pm
So sorry you were under the weather Robert!!! Not that any timing is good timing but stinks that Wendy and Kelly were there visiting too.

I think you have a good plan with the car and suspension. No need to dig into with such a short timeline.

We're doing a similar thing with the underbody lights on M-Pressive. We're not entirely sure on placement of the strips so we'll try it and see if we like it. If not, back on the list of things to do!
LUNAT1C liked this
 #386014  by LUNAT1C
 October 3rd, 2020, 2:57 am
First Lady wrote: October 2nd, 2020, 9:21 pm I think you have a good plan with the car and suspension. No need to dig into with such a short timeline.
No doubt. I've already got enough trouble with the car pre-OC. In the course of futzing with my extra EVIC and playing with the amount of tint, somehow the battery drained. Caused all kinds of weird things, like the audio going into protect mode when I turned on the rear defroster.. figure that one out... my maintainer can't charge a deeply discharged battery, so my smart charger is running overnight to test/load/charge the battery. I guess that's what I get for not driving it for a month.

I tried charging it at 2A at first and somewhere between 3 hrs and 8 hrs of charging the unit hit an error. Either an internal battery fault or it was taking too long to charge. I fiddled with the clamps and upped the rate of charge to 10A (not the 20A max) after a few hours it reached 14.7V from 4V and hit phase 3 of its testing cycle, 75% charge. Hoping by morning all is green and I don't need to phone a few Batteries Plus stores to see if they have my X2 Power Premium (rebranded Northstar) group 34 battery in stock for warranty swap. Northstar is supposedly a great brand and the same battery in my Jeep has been trouble-free, so I'm hoping it's a fluke of not driving it and draining it. I'll be charging my portable jumpstarter to bring to OC with me just in case.

All I want to do is install those bulbs, fix my door handle light, replace my steering wheel wrap, and build up a set of LED projector foglight
(made for a Grand Cherokee, retrofitting for the M) inserts to drop into the current foglights. Nothing big.
 #386149  by adu1982
 October 12th, 2020, 8:30 pm
Didn't get to come to OC as we had plans , from way before , which I had forgotten to go to orlando. Disney's wasn't that great with masks up all the time but ...... It was something. Before we went I actually last week (we left Friday, came back tonight) I did some work on the black car. Changed the oil & filter, replaced the icon wipers with new ones and finally replaced the mirrors. Passenger side had been redneck bolted up (so it won't dangle at the pivot point) since my dad busted it in miami and driver side was yellowed up. Was gonna keep the driver side but I replaced them at night , wasn't paying attention and broke the screw ....should've used some on blaster but.... So both went into the trăsh. I had a good silver set so up they went. Need to fix the other bumper , some other issues and get the whole car repainted.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#386260  by LUNAT1C
 October 26th, 2020, 10:31 am
Not really LH related... all I did recently was get a body shop quote to have the car thoroughly worked over and take about 10 years off of it...

But Saturday we spent a few hours making bad financial decisions at the local Dodge dealer. Same dealer family that I bought my Wrangler from. This time we're giving them the Italiano Jeep and some cash in exchange for some bald eagles wrapped into a 2020 Durango R/T AWD. It was a demo car for the owner of the dealer chain (the guy whose name is on the door of all the stores around SE MI, Szott), so we got a chunk of change taken off the price in addition to incentives.

2020 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
- White Knuckle with Blue Mopar stripe package
- Black Nappa leather interior with heated/ventilated seats and heated 2nd row captains chairs
- "Luxury" interior with leather wrapped and stitched dash, suede headliner, "real carbon fiber" interior trim
- 4C uConnect with Android Auto and CarPlay
- Tow IV group with brake controller
- Electronic nannies.. err "driving aids" (that I will turn off)
- 5.7L Hemi V8 with 8-spd transmission and low range gear
- Dealer owner's wife wanted the wheels in white, so they were powder coated White Knuckle and center caps painted White Knuckle with the Dodge hashmarks painted Mopar Blue.

The reason we did this is we want to tow a towable RV, probably in 2022 after saving money for one. The Renegade wasn't going to do that and my Wrangler won't either with all the weight I've added to it and its factory 3500 lb tow limit. The Durango can tow 7400 lbs.

White Knuckle with Blue stripes and White wheels... was not my first choice... but it was a good deal. We'll see how we like the wheels as time goes on and maybe look for a set of SRT Jeep or SRT Durango wheels down the road.

Right now the dealer is replacing the radio (gouge in the screen) and fixing some alignment issues on the hood, liftgate, drivers door, and fixing some issues on the strips on the liftgate. We'll probably have it next weekend.
First Lady liked this
 #386262  by Sneke_Eyez
 October 26th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Congrats to you and Nick, Robert.
Sounds like a fun new addition to the car family.
I'm interested to see photos as it is definitely a unique build.

Yesterday Bobby and Jimmy came over to my house and helped me with my Special.
The car has not had carpet in it since June, as I took it out to chase a leak which I found and fixed.
With no carpet, daily driving the car into Boston everyday was a tinny, crashing experience.
But, I didn't want to put the carpet back in until I could get the sound deadening in the car, and finding the time for the project was difficult.

Bobby and Jimmy showed up Sunday morning bright and early and went to work on the car.
Bobby installed my JBL amp and hooked up my Rockford subwoofer from the old Special.
The carpet was dirty from being in storage, so we pressure washed it and then let it dry while we worked.
We then put sound deadening along the whole floor of the car and the two front doors - special thanks to Keith for letting me use the leftover stick-on sound deadening he had.
Then we used closed-cell foam yoga mat material to replace the factory sound deadening material that was glued to the carpet.
When all of that was said and done, we reinstalled the carpet and all of the trim.
It is finally a complete car again for the first time since June.

While helping us with the other projects, Jimmy clay barred, buffed, and waxed the Special.
This is the best it has looked since I bought it.

Bobby also took a look at my suspension and suspects it is bad control arms.
The ProForged control arms (which have maybe 20-30k on them?) are not getting high marks from me.
The driver's side distinctly has a cracked inner boot.
I am planning to replace them this coming weekend with Moog units I had "in stock."

Anyway, I drove the car to work this morning and it is like a different car entirely.
The sound deadening and new amp and sub really make for a pleasurable driving experience.
First Lady liked this
 #386264  by StealthM
 October 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm
Hey Ryan just a little food for thought. I replaced my lower control arms just over 5000 miles ago. And on the way home from OC I started hearing a knocking sound after going through Philly. 95 by the stadium. Turns out the Moog ball joint is shot. Just scored a set of OEM ones off Ebay. A bit pricey but they should last a hell of a lot longer then the Moog. Just saying..
 #386266  by First Lady
 October 26th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Congrats Robert and Nick!!!!!

That’s wonderfully exciting!! Can’t wait for pictures.

Ryan, I’m so glad you took the time to really dig into your own car to increase your passion again! I know it’s been a struggle and I’m thrilled you’re back in business!!
 #386267  by sparky99
 October 26th, 2020, 6:28 pm
StealthM wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm Hey Ryan just a little food for thought. I replaced my lower control arms just over 5000 miles ago. And on the way home from OC I started hearing a knocking sound after going through Philly. 95 by the stadium. Turns out the Moog ball joint is shot. Just scored a set of OEM ones off Ebay. A bit pricey but they should last a hell of a lot longer then the Moog. Just saying..
Hey Clerance, were those MOOG's greaseable by chance? I've found the non greaseable ball joints seem to last longer.
Nice score on the oem control arms!
 #386274  by StealthM
 October 27th, 2020, 12:02 am
Grease less no zerks provided....😓
 #386277  by Sneke_Eyez
 October 27th, 2020, 8:42 am
StealthM wrote: October 26th, 2020, 4:22 pm Hey Ryan just a little food for thought. I replaced my lower control arms just over 5000 miles ago. And on the way home from OC I started hearing a knocking sound after going through Philly. 95 by the stadium. Turns out the Moog ball joint is shot. Just scored a set of OEM ones off Ebay. A bit pricey but they should last a hell of a lot longer then the Moog. Just saying..
Moog sells two different control arms - CK and RK, CK being "Heavy duty" - do you know which ones you had?
The CK "heavy duty" are what I have, so I'm going to roll with them.

The main problem is that it is hard for me to justify 4x the price.
Sick of spending money like water on suspension parts for this car.
 #386291  by StealthM
 October 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm
I wanna say RK.. I didn't know they offered a heavy duty option or I would have opted for the better ones. As far as spending the extra moola for the OEM ones I got 90,000 mile from the originals so I would except the same from these. Plus I am a Mopar snob..lol
 #386293  by Sneke_Eyez
 October 28th, 2020, 11:26 am
StealthM wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm I wanna say RK.. I didn't know they offered a heavy duty option or I would have opted for the better ones. As far as spending the extra moola for the OEM ones I got 90,000 mile from the originals so I would except the same from these. Plus I am a Mopar snob..lol
We'll see what happens.
Hard for me to justify buying OEM too when these are on the shelf.
They were supposed to be for the Intrepid someday (I found these on clearance at Rock Auto last year).
But, naturally, the suspension parts I already replaced can't just LAST.

I'm sure the OEM ones will treat you right.
 #386295  by StealthM
 October 28th, 2020, 11:55 pm
No that's cool. You can see how the CK ones work. Just incase we need to replace down the road. I think these are the last two in the world... lol. Maybe I should chrome these too......haha
 #386296  by LUNAT1C
 October 29th, 2020, 8:51 am
Well that has me slightly concerned. The control arms I bought are the RK model. I bought them because I can at least service them annually during tire rotations to try to get some longevity from the ball joints... I already opened the boxes (had to tear them), so I brought can't return them without a restocking fee... the description for the CK suggested it was intended for people who abuse them, such as police and taxi.