Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#386297  by Sneke_Eyez
 October 29th, 2020, 9:11 am
LUNAT1C wrote: October 29th, 2020, 8:51 am the description for the CK suggested it was intended for people who abuse them, such as police and taxi.
Or Boston roads...

In all seriousness though, Robert, I would be willing to bet you don't have to worry too much.
The punishment my suspension takes is because I run heavy 20s through nasty, cratered roads in Boston every day.
My suspension would probably still be fine if I wasn't doing that.
I've actually considered returning to 18s for that reason, but the 20s just look so good.
 #386299  by LUNAT1C
 October 29th, 2020, 11:55 pm
And that, friends, concludes our time with the Jeeplet. Today the Renegade was replaced with our gently broken in demo 2020 Durango R/T. I've ordered a set of console rubber mats for the cupholders and storage bins, and a key fob cover. Next is some rock guards to protect the body behind the wheels, and all weather mats before the snow flies. First weekend of November should be fairly mild, so I'll be detailing it to decon the paint and apply my ceramic wax, get some protection on the wheels, and treat the nappa leather seats and wrapped dash.

Turned out the vehicle was used by the owner of the dealer at his condo on Marco Island, FL last winter, so it hasn't yet seen salt. I'll be spraying fluid film under it to hopefully keep things free of rust.
PXL_20201029_180817876.jpg
PXL_20201029_180828959.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M-Pressive, Sneke_Eyez, monte4 and 2 others liked this
 #386333  by adu1982
 November 4th, 2020, 11:59 pm
Ordered front kyb quick struts for the lhs. I have no time to mess with finding the right parts so I'm hoping they will atleast work without banging sounds and such for atleast maybe a year or so..... I want to finish the car so I can get it repainted, ready for trips, and out of the garage... Meanwhile I'll have enough time to restore and build a good complete 4 set struts..... I'll report in that "do not use quick struts" post how they will do. The reason for this.... The side that was hit has clearly a bent strut as it is still off angle..... This repair was a lot more costly than I anticipated...I should have gone after her insurance. This is the second time I've let somebody off..... The third time will be the straw that will break the camel's back.....I guess......

Starting to think to that maybe I will need a sway bar too....which will suck as getting one from the yards will be hard......tried , but had forgotten that you can't really get it out without lifting the engine right?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#386335  by StealthM
 November 5th, 2020, 1:46 am
So they should last a long time. I definitely do not drive StealthM like a cruiser.....haha
 #386339  by LUNAT1C
 November 6th, 2020, 2:12 pm
I've been having a hoot of a time with my Jeep. A couple weeks ago it started running rough and set the CEL. Luckily Wrangler JKs have their own version of the key dance, which revealed P0301 (cyl 1 misfire) and P0201 (cyl 1 injector circuit open). After a couple starts it started running fine on its own, so I reset the CEL and went about my business. It all came back a couple days later and decided to stick around. A check with my multimeter on the cyl 1 injector showed that it had punched its ticket, no resistance to be found within it. So I ordered a Mopar injector from Quadratec and installed it two nights ago.

It was a bit of a pain since there is a bracket over that side of the engine that the heater lines bolt to, a hard vacuum line clips to, and a rather important looking engine harness connector clips to. Two nuts were hard to see let alone reach and I went through the process of removing the battery and fusebox to remove their plastic mount before I found that just removing the airbox let my get my arm under the fusebox and under the head to reach those nuts.

I pulled the fuel rail off the number 1 injector and didn't have room to get the injector out, so I pulled it off the number 3 injector as well and dropped an o-ring. Not too bad, I was able to use a hooked pick to get the oring, clean it, and put it back on. I got it all back together and everything was running fine... that night.

Last night I tried to go out. The engine had a long crank before struggling to start, even though it had spun right over after replacing the injector (rail was empty of fuel to do the job), and I got a strong smell of gas. I opened the hood and removed the engine cover to find a geyser of fuel coming from injector #3's connection to the rail. I guess all those folks shouting "NEVER REUSE THE INJECTOR SEALS" were kind of not kidding. I took the Durango out to AutoZone during lunch and picked up a 4-pack of Fel-Pro injector o-rings. If I can get the entire fuel rail off, I'll replace all three. The hose connection is a bit buried with vacuum lines, heater lines, a PCV line, and differential breather tube running right through that area.
 #386341  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 6th, 2020, 4:28 pm
That's too bad, Robert.
I hate when you chase and chase issues only to open another can of worms that needs to be fixed.
My last Special was fond of that.

Happy to report that on Saturday Jimmy and I changed out the control arms for the Moog units.
The ProForged control arms were totally shot.
They have two trips to Carlisle and roughly 20k on them, so I cannot recommend them at all.
The Moog 'CK' arms seemed to be much beefier, and while they have the grease fittings, the lack of fitting didn't make any difference with the Proforged arms.
We will see how they last - I will keep the group updated.
Their installation on the car has led to a week of quiet, refined driving in the Special - the best it has been since I started driving it daily, between the new amp and sub, sound deadening, and new control arms.

Jimmy and I also had time to replace the passenger's side front wheel bearing and rear brake rotors, pads, and emergency brake shoes and rotator arms on the Ram.
Now the emergency brake cable doesn't hang down, the emergency brake works properly, and there is no more squeak from the passenger wheel.

Tomorrow we buff the cars! The Special gets another coat of wax, and maybe some plastidip if I have time, the Fusion gets some buffed and waxed, and I might hand wax the truck too!
The fleet will be closer to winter-ready!
 #386343  by First Lady
 November 6th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Put a hard candy shell, aka coat of zano on B SPCL this evening. It will get moved to its winter garage spot over the weekend as we winterize everything!!

Buffing and waxing all cars, chemicals out of the garage, water and electronics out of show car, wheels on the dailys, along with all the outdoor house stuff. Happy November!!
 #386385  by LUNAT1C
 November 9th, 2020, 10:36 am
Thankfully we've been having some good weather lately, 70s for several days. I pulled apart the fuel rail on the Jeep again Friday night and saw a chunk fall off the o-ring for the leaking injector. I got a pack of o-rings from AZ and decided to pull the entire rail and replace all three. Buttoned back up and so far so good.

Yesterday the Jeep got a few more door hinge liners replaced (replaced the corroded factory ones with Delrin to make the doors open better and easier to remove in the summer), and the Durango got the rear rock guards installed in addition to the front ones I put on last week. The Durango also got a wash, wheel coat applied, and Meguiar's ceramic liquid wax applied. Finished that after dark so I'm sure I missed a million spots.
 #386392  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 9th, 2020, 4:08 pm
This was a good car weekend for me as well - with my friend Jimmy's help.

We put another coat of the Meguiar's hybrid ceramic liquid on the Special and I dipped the door cladding to match the bumpers.
This was a big deal for me as the mismatch was driving me nuts.

Then we washed, polished, and waxed the Fusion, then washed, polished, and waxed the Ram.
The Ram never got wax last year and it was in rough shape.

Nice to have the fleet all clean and shiny and protected for the winter.

I considered putting the snow tires on all the cars, but it is supposed to be warm at least until next weekend, so I held off.
I need to get the Ram's snow tires mounted on the new 20s for it before I can mount those anyway.
 #386394  by sparky99
 November 9th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Finally went out yesterday and got my Calendar photos taken. I ended up at a small old time service/gas station and the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum, which is a magnificent place.

Photo is emailed to Keith for placement into the calendar.

oh, the car was gross. I made (i use this term loosely) my daughter come and help me clean the interior of my car to get it ready. Its cleaner now than its been in a very long time. Which is a huge relief.
I need to photograph the interior while its clean for future reference.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #386419  by adu1982
 November 11th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Came home early and started on the lhs conundrum....and found out that the spring/shock was bent you can see it when compared with the new KYB....

Started on the teardown and I'm gonna reuse my mounts........but it looks to me that the kyb mount is exactly like my oem..... Think they finally changed it or where was the noticeable difference ....cause I'm blind...????

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#386435  by monte4
 November 13th, 2020, 10:44 am
As most everyone else is doing I prepped the M for winter this week as the weather was outstandingly warm. I'll only be taking it out once in a while and only when the roads are clear as I will use my 4x4 Ranger as the daily driver. I did the complete body - strip wash, clay bar (didn't need to bring out the Porter Cable) then 2 coats of Adams paint sealant. Got the winter rims and tires put on (sensors reset), fresh Mobil 1 oil change. I also bought a Battery Tender. I also did pretty well the same to my Ranger to get it ready. It was a full 3 days of work.
One last thing. I got the M and the Ranger professionally appraised this week. If anyone is interested in that I can do a full write up for this (how to choose who to do it along with dealing with your insurance company and exactly what all is involved). Also I can do the full write up on my M that I got from the appraiser, again if there is enough interest.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #386436  by M-Pressive
 November 13th, 2020, 11:16 am
Hey Ellis,

I would be interested. I just moved one of our cars to hagerty and need to do the same with another. Interested in how you went about getting them appraised.
 #386443  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 13th, 2020, 1:55 pm
monte4 wrote: November 13th, 2020, 10:44 am As most everyone else is doing I prepped the M for winter this week as the weather was outstandingly warm. I'll only be taking it out once in a while and only when the roads are clear as I will use my 4x4 Ranger as the daily driver. I did the complete body - strip wash, clay bar (didn't need to bring out the Porter Cable) then 2 coats of Adams paint sealant. Got the winter rims and tires put on (sensors reset), fresh Mobil 1 oil change. I also bought a Battery Tender. I also did pretty well the same to my Ranger to get it ready. It was a full 3 days of work.
One last thing. I got the M and the Ranger professionally appraised this week. If anyone is interested in that I can do a full write up for this (how to choose who to do it along with dealing with your insurance company and exactly what all is involved). Also I can do the full write up on my M that I got from the appraiser, again if there is enough interest.
Ellis - I would also be interested for information's sake, both in the process and in what the appraiser said about the M.
I have considered getting the Intrepid appraised for use with my Hagerty agreed-value policy, but instead just have a value on the car that I know I would take if it were to get in an accident (at this point it is pretty much irreplaceable to me).
EasyRider300M liked this
 #386450  by LUNAT1C
 November 13th, 2020, 11:13 pm
I’ll echo that.
 #386456  by monte4
 November 14th, 2020, 12:34 pm
As there seems to be interest in getting an appraisal, I've posted a complete write up in Member's Only General area.
 #386459  by mundajames86
 November 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm
For someone who used to get commission off of offering this service through slick words and what not, this video that I saw went into great detail as to how basic this service is and should not cost you over $150.

Enjoy.

#386466  by First Lady
 November 14th, 2020, 7:12 pm
More winter prep today!!!

It feels extra sad this year to be emptying the chemicals from the garage, changing over tires, and putting the patio set away. In so many ways it feels like we never got to use any of it. The garage wasn’t our ‘home’ this summer as we worked every weekend to get it ready and re ready for shows. I fee like I just put my new wheels on for goodness sake!!