• What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
2021 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#386501  by LUNAT1C
 November 16th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Luna got a wash Saturday afternoon and was officially parked for Winter after one last trip into the next town south of us to Costco to fill up on fuel, and just get things moving after sitting a few weeks. All that's left for it is to get it up on jackstands and remove the tires, she'll be in the air all season long while I replace the front suspension and steering components and take my time with a few other items that I haven't gotten to with work and the house taking priority. Driving it around Saturday I could feel the front end knocking a lot more, so it's time for the tie rods and control arms and sway bar links. All parts are in boxes behind the car waiting their turn.

The Jeep got the last of its door hinge liners and went through a slap and swirl. The Durango already got a wash and wax. I still need to clean and protect its interior and get Fluid Film under both the Durango and the Jeep for winter protection. The Dodge spent its first Winter in Florida as a demo, so it's still sparkling new underneath.
 #386586  by dcsally97
 November 21st, 2020, 3:38 pm
I was having issues with no starts for the past few months. I finally got around to replacing a faulty OEM cam sensor. I put that one in the car when I bought it, so I guess it lasted long enough. Fortunately, I purchase the intake spacer from Bob, so that made the sensor change a 5 minute job. Much better than having to remove the upper plenum! Thank you Bob for making the spacer the exact right thickness.
 #386590  by LUNAT1C
 November 22nd, 2020, 2:47 am
She’s tucked away for Winter, so I haven’t touched my M, but I did get around to cleaning the interiors of the Jeep and Durango today. Being new and “new car delivery prepped” only a few weeks ago, the Speed Wagon didn’t need much. Just wiping down the vinyl wrapped dash and all interior panels with my Meguiar’s APC and following it with 303 Aerospace Protectant, and gently rubbing Chemical Guys leather cleaner into the Napa leather seats and their leather protectant afterward on all six seats and the center console lid. I can say this... I’m really not impressed by perforated leather. I’ll have to find a pin and poke a few of the perforations in the driver’s seat to unplug them from whatever had transferred into it by the people who demo’d the car.

The Jeep hasn’t been cleaned inside since our vacation to Mackinac City/Island last September. It needed a thorough vacuuming and the console need some scrubbing with a detailers brush to loosen up the dirt. It was followed with 303. The Katzkin premium leather (premium Brazilian cow leather line, not their 1-step above factory stuff you sometimes see) got the same Chemical Guys 2-step treatment with gentle scrubbing on the more frequently used driver’s seat.

Both wagons are now clean inside. Something I’ve learned with Chemical Guys is while the product works well, their interior stuff has an insatiable need to make treated surfaces very grabby. I went to Lowes in the Jeep tonight and getting in and out of the seat sounded like I was climbing in and out of a booth at a cheap diner. I’ll use the product until it finishes, then move on to something else. Other than the wheel wax that seems to be working quite well on my Special and I assume will work well on the Speed Wagon as well, I’m done with Chemical Guys. Interior products are all grabby, and exterior products aren’t worth the price they ask. The cleaners work well, but not any better than Meguiar’s. Exterior protectants also work very well... but again, not worth the extra expense vs the same product from other companies. It’s a shame, since that’s all the local Detail Garage carries and they’re the only game in town carrying gallon sizes of product. I’ll be sticking to ordering gallon quantities of my favorite Meguiar’s Detailer Series and P&S detailers products.
 #386592  by sparky99
 November 22nd, 2020, 2:54 pm
Yesterday, I worked on the Intrepid for a good portion of the day. In a last ditch effort, I used some CLR and flushed out the heater core in both directions. The heat absolutely sucks in this car and I had reason to believe the heater core was partially plugged. First, I flushed all the coolant out and got clean water. I then poured the CLR in and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then flushed out with water. I really didn't see anything come out so I did it again. I then flushed with water about another 15 minutes later backwards. Again, a little stuff but nothing i would say was causing a clog. I flushed with water both directions ending in typical flow and then put the hoses back on. I went for a drive and I feel like it may be a little better, but I am not sure.

I also replaced the leaking MTV o'ring while working on the rest, oh! I repainted the strut bar black since it looked like garbage.

I think I'm about ready to just move on to something newer. I am getting tired of the constant wrenching on these cars. It would be nice to have a newer car with low miles...
 #386595  by LUNAT1C
 November 23rd, 2020, 9:28 am
Careful what you wish for. My Wrangler is "newer with low miles" and in the past year I've had to replace the torque converter (warranty), radiator, and fuel injector, all between 60,000 and 72,000 miles. I also replaced all ball joints, tie rod, and drag link, though I'm sure my tires wore all that out. Dealer also replaced the front axle u-joints last year under warranty.

I'm sure something like a Honda or Toyota wouldn't need so much work, but then you aren't getting an interesting car. Nor attractive, from what I've seen driving around... I shouldn't say that about my customers. :lol:
 #386606  by adu1982
 November 24th, 2020, 9:31 am
I feel you Rob......
Have a question, noticed it right after the accident , before everything worked.

My driver seat won't move at all (up /down/ back) and none of the windows open. No codes , nothing else. Pass side seat moves just fine......Could something have broken gotten loose from the accident.... Never had it happen before .....Don't even know where to check first...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#386610  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 24th, 2020, 12:04 pm
This weekend I bought a new set of wheels for the Special.

2017 Chrysler 300 polished 18s.
They were such a good deal that I couldn't pass them up.
Thinking next year if I'm still driving back and forth to work I'll put these on instead of the 20s and see if I can get better MPGs and ride.
Then put the 20s back on for Carlisle.
monte4, EasyRider300M liked this
 #386623  by monte4
 November 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm
Very Nice! Are they a straight bolt on or do you require spacers and or adapters?
 #386628  by FIREM
 November 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
Fell in love with my 300M all over again. Who in their right mind jumps in a 19 year old car with over 200k and drives some 700 miles at times north of 80 mph. Rides and drives like a dream, sad that the cruise tops out at 85 lol. Quick trip north for family thanksgiving.
M-Pressive, First Lady, StealthM and 3 others liked this
 #386642  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 27th, 2020, 2:08 pm
monte4 wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:50 pm Very Nice! Are they a straight bolt on or do you require spacers and or adapters?
They will be a straight bolt on, as I've done with all of my other LX RWD wheels mounted on my LH cars.
My Special currently wears 2017 Chrysler 300S 20s - these happen to be 2017 Chrysler 300 C wheels.
Same bolt pattern and backspacing, etc, just 2'' smaller.
monte4 liked this
 #386650  by M-Pressive
 November 27th, 2020, 6:51 pm
New manifold for the air ride was installed in M-Pressive today. Calibrated it and all seems well.

Pulled the sub box out of the car for winter and got the car tucked away.

On the trickle charger with the cover on it for the next five months.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #386690  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm
I changed the oil in my Special this weekend.

While working I discovered a slipped belt on the inside of my driver's side front tire.
I thought I had been feeling a "new" wobble that I couldn't place in the last several days of driving the car last week, but I couldn't easily see it with the wheel mounted on the car.

So I went over and got my snows out of storage, but I have decided I want to plastidip them again before I put them on, so I think that's what I'll be doing tonight.
Luckily I now have a garage, so I can do things like plasti-dip at night.

Last night I ordered a new (used, but mint) matching tire that I'll have for next season.
 #386691  by EasyRider300M
 December 1st, 2020, 5:30 pm
Got the M inspected today. I only had put on 1500 miles since last inspection. Passed inspection.
All is good.
monte4, Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #386734  by adu1982
 December 6th, 2020, 5:46 pm
I am on a shopping spree for some new car parts that I need, needed and will need. Can anybody tell me where I can still get oem crank sensors. I have now been canceled by 3 mopar websites on the orders for crank sensor. My base M is now running on a AAP crank sensor .....which I trust less than an unknown miles yard part....Whenever I hit the yards I'm gonna grab some more crank /cam sensors.....but if anybody know where I can get some... I need at least one oem......

#386735  by M-Pressive
 December 6th, 2020, 7:27 pm
Did you try eBay?

Or east coast moparts?
 #386738  by adu1982
 December 6th, 2020, 10:05 pm
Just tried again and bought one of eBay and one of amazon (amazon said last one,....and not from Amazon but some other seller) so we shall see...... Both amazon and ebay sellers had decent reviews so hopefully I'll get them both and mopar.... Gotta make a list of some oem stuff and stock up for future. While I really plan to get rid of the base next year... I plan for now to keep the lhs for ever and the special for a few more years....

#386739  by adu1982
 December 6th, 2020, 10:10 pm
Ordered the kyb quick struts (rear for the lhs), 2 crank sensors (for the base) ... Also got the fan assembly for the rdvz on Friday.... Tomorrow , if I come home early enough from work, I plan to take some stuff of the lhs (headlights, tails etc....) And take it to the paint shop Tuesday in the am.....if not hopefully later this week.

#386743  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 7th, 2020, 1:04 pm
Saturday we had our first real threat of snow in MA (we had one freak storm early in Nov), so I found myself putting snows on the Fusion in the morning.
I brought my Ram's new (to me) snows and wheels and had them mounted. The shop wouldn't mount them on the truck though, "too busy," so I then found myself mounting them on my truck in my driveway in the rain and the snow. The second year in a row I've mounted snows on the truck in the snow - the universe is probably telling me to do it earlier!

The drawback to the truck not fitting into my new garage...

Special had its snows put on last week, I didn't get to re-plasti-dip them, but whatever, I should hopefully find the time before too long.
I used to love the blue because it was different, but I want something else now.

I've been doing a lot of home projects recently before my attic gets insulated tomorrow, so I haven't had as much time to get car projects done as usual.