Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#387077  by First Lady
 January 18th, 2021, 7:56 pm
For the last 10.5 months my car hasn't driven much. We've made a real effort to drive them every few days but with nowhere to go, it's been challenging. My M, with an OEM battery hasn't enjoyed the cold and has been dead the last few times we've tried to take it for a drive. The original owner had the dealership install a new OEM battery just before they traded it into the dealership. The salesman said it didn't need it, but the older woman insisted. Our solution was buying another battery tender and have it plugged in just outside the garage door. Worst part about it I have to park in a different part of the driveway now and I don't get to see it every time I look out the front window. In fact, I can't see it at all :-( Hope these cold months go FAST so I can come back to MY spot in the driveway soon!!
 #387084  by Steve From MA
 January 18th, 2021, 11:42 pm
Decided to tackle our failing thermostat. Replaced it along with the housing, gasket and of course the 3 inch silicone hose. Took way longer than it should have, even going at it from above, and required several beers when it was done. Next projects on the table are 1. the rear hubs, parking shoes, calipers and rotors. 2. The weeping transmission lines. Just hit 240k miles and still chugging away. If anyone in New England comes across an Infero Red passenger front door in good shape please let me know willing to drive as far as PA or upstate NY if it's worth it.
 #387109  by adu1982
 January 22nd, 2021, 12:04 am
Went before work to tires plus to get the tires balanced sinced when they swapped the tpms sensor on it they forgot....no mo light shake , but upon trying to retrain the sensor found out that one of them does not work, most likely the one from the hit wheel.. I don't think it's tires plus fault, i think the accident did mess it up since they said that wheel wasn't balancing. So the other day I left that weel on the side of my curb. Somebody picked it up the same day... And i wanted to order an extra tpms sensor....well it is what it is till I come back. Finished this tonight since we are leaving, or planning to leave by noon tomorrow..... This week she crossed 220k....miles
....Image

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#387157  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 26th, 2021, 10:06 am
Sunday evening while listening to the football games I tightened the AC belt on the Special. It had started to squeal when the defroster was on over the last several weeks.
Also cleaned my garage up a bit and started mounting stuff on the walls!
 #387158  by adu1982
 January 26th, 2021, 10:22 am
Well that paint job didn't last long Yours truly, supposedly "professional ups driver" almost ruined the vacation and the car. Dodge a bullet, as only insurance info was exchanged and we lost all of maybe 10 min. It was all my fault as I was paying no attention as i made i left turn into a lane to turn left.....But we are at keystone, and other than that the car performed great as always in the last 2000 miles....

After a bit of a cleanup with a wet papertowell...looks a smidge better..

#387161  by Null
 January 28th, 2021, 12:15 am
Had a section of gas line replaced that was leaking on the drivers side exhaust flex joint. Drives better , starts better and no more gas smell.
M-Pressive, monte4 liked this
 #387186  by adu1982
 January 29th, 2021, 11:25 pm
Trip turned really bad pretty quick....if anybody can suggest something....
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Bad bad timing....

The more info

#387189  by First Lady
 January 30th, 2021, 8:36 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote:Sunday evening while listening to the football games I tightened the AC belt on the Special. It had started to squeal when the defroster was on over the last several weeks.
Did you get the newer style belt and did it help?!

Also, the stuff on the wall looks great!!!!!!!
 #387199  by adu1982
 January 31st, 2021, 10:37 pm
Nevermind my earlier post, seems like either the almost 1 quart of tranny fluid or the dorman output speed sensor fixed the problem. 10 hours and 650 miles of no problems... What scared me was that once I replaced the sensor the problem did not go away. Took about maybe 10-15 min of driving and a few miles (20 or more) for it to shake really bad twice and jerk, than speedometer came on, shifting and by the time I went to the auto place , no more code P1698 , not even pending. I have another output speed sensor (the other brand, cheaper that o'reilly had in stock ) and an input one on hand so I'm pretty sure the last 1000 miles home will be ok. Once in Jax I plan to switch the mopar back in to see if the problem was the sensor or the low fluid level.
If it is the sensor , it means that 4 years and a bit, and 50k miles was the lifeline for this mopar sensor.

Hoping if it was the sensor, that the dorman will last till home and won't have to crawl underneath again.
Proud to say though that if it wasn't the sensor, and it was my fault again that I didn't check levels in 3000 miles and 2 weeks, the car bounced back and i didn't have to waist so much extra time, money and energy to get back home.... Literally we only lost about 15-20 hours, as instead of getting into mckinney, texas at 4 am in the morning we got there at about midnight. Decided to thus stay one more day in texas as planned and only leave for Jax Tuesday morning.

#387200  by M-Pressive
 February 1st, 2021, 9:24 am
Glad you are able to make it home!

Wonder if the fluid was low and it caused it all.
 #387202  by adu1982
 February 1st, 2021, 11:24 am
Didn't make it home. Since she did perfect for 9 hrs we still stoped in McKinney Texas to see my wife's cousin for 2 days. We will leave tomorrow. (It kinda was close to the way home anyway).

Gonna swap the mopar sensor back in , when I get home, just to see if it was the low fluid. I think about 1 qt low.

#387203  by adu1982
 February 1st, 2021, 11:24 am

#387205  by LUNAT1C
 February 1st, 2021, 12:10 pm
I haven't touched either of the cars, but a local yard that I haven't been to recently got in a blue 2002 Special, so I went yarding on Saturday.

Unfortunately, not much of the car is usable. Sticker on the driver's window says it was found abandoned and the plenum was inside the car, a section of it blown out, so I'm sure the car was not cared for in its final days. It did seem to have been cared for otherwise as it was relatively rust-free. I got very excited when I saw the hood had no dents or dings and nearly no rust at the front edge. I was about to grab my tools and thinking about how I could fit it into the Jeep, when I saw the telltale bubbling at the rear edge of the hood. Dang!

Front fascia was there and was painted all blue, seemed to have a cracks at the bottom. Headlights were there, typical yellowing, mounts in tact. I may go back for them, but it looks like this yard charges $50 each for HID/LED headlights. Bit expensive for me when I have a set in good shape already in my basement. Rear fascia and rockers were there. I wanted the passenger rear rocker, but in typical salvage yard fashion they brought it in on a forklift from the side and broke some of the mounts of all the rocker covers. I'll have to try getting a new one from the forum to reduce the body labor on that part when the car gets painted.

I tried to get the rear fascia as it looked fine, and got it off the car without much fuss. Once it was off I saw a small 2" crack near the drivers exhaust tip. Not a big deal. Then I noticed the crash bar on the car was dented in and rusted on that side. I saw a scuff on the fascia... no big deal... then I saw daylight through the fascia along the bottom of the plate area. 1.5-2' crack all along that edge. I figure the body labor to repair that fascia would be more than the labor to repair mine, so I left it there.

Both mirrors had broken signal lamps and cracks. Both tail lights are there, but I left them in the trunk since I don't need another set (I have two sets, one in good shape and one that needs work).

Seats... were kind of OK. Driver's seat bottom has some cracks that could be repaired with filler and fresh dye, but the seat needs a deep cleaning to fix discoloration. Passenger seat I may go back for, at least for the bottom.

I ended up leaving with only the vacuum lines for the cruise control to replace the ones I damaged a couple years back, and the PCM. Kind of sad, that car is almost exactly (to the day and the hour, one day off) 1 month newer than mine.

I'll go back and reconsider the headlights, passenger seat bottom, and check out the dash. I checked the dashes in an LHS and two other Ms there but for some reason didn't check that one. I also found a T&C Limited with an interesting set of gauges and uConnect that I'll take a closer look at.
 #387207  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 1st, 2021, 12:59 pm
First Lady wrote: January 30th, 2021, 8:36 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote:Sunday evening while listening to the football games I tightened the AC belt on the Special. It had started to squeal when the defroster was on over the last several weeks.
Did you get the newer style belt and did it help?!

Also, the stuff on the wall looks great!!!!!!!
I did not buy the newer belt, but I have it in my Amazon cart.
Just haven't followed through yet.
This weekend I spent a bunch of time organizing my side of the garage.
 #387234  by sparky99
 February 4th, 2021, 7:58 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: February 1st, 2021, 12:10 pm I haven't touched either of the cars, but a local yard that I haven't been to recently got in a blue 2002 Special, so I went yarding on Saturday.

Unfortunately, not much of the car is usable. Sticker on the driver's window says it was found abandoned and the plenum was inside the car, a section of it blown out, so I'm sure the car was not cared for in its final days. It did seem to have been cared for otherwise as it was relatively rust-free. I got very excited when I saw the hood had no dents or dings and nearly no rust at the front edge. I was about to grab my tools and thinking about how I could fit it into the Jeep, when I saw the telltale bubbling at the rear edge of the hood. Dang!

Front fascia was there and was painted all blue, seemed to have a cracks at the bottom. Headlights were there, typical yellowing, mounts in tact. I may go back for them, but it looks like this yard charges $50 each for HID/LED headlights. Bit expensive for me when I have a set in good shape already in my basement. Rear fascia and rockers were there. I wanted the passenger rear rocker, but in typical salvage yard fashion they brought it in on a forklift from the side and broke some of the mounts of all the rocker covers. I'll have to try getting a new one from the forum to reduce the body labor on that part when the car gets painted.

I tried to get the rear fascia as it looked fine, and got it off the car without much fuss. Once it was off I saw a small 2" crack near the drivers exhaust tip. Not a big deal. Then I noticed the crash bar on the car was dented in and rusted on that side. I saw a scuff on the fascia... no big deal... then I saw daylight through the fascia along the bottom of the plate area. 1.5-2' crack all along that edge. I figure the body labor to repair that fascia would be more than the labor to repair mine, so I left it there.

Both mirrors had broken signal lamps and cracks. Both tail lights are there, but I left them in the trunk since I don't need another set (I have two sets, one in good shape and one that needs work).

Seats... were kind of OK. Driver's seat bottom has some cracks that could be repaired with filler and fresh dye, but the seat needs a deep cleaning to fix discoloration. Passenger seat I may go back for, at least for the bottom.

I ended up leaving with only the vacuum lines for the cruise control to replace the ones I damaged a couple years back, and the PCM. Kind of sad, that car is almost exactly (to the day and the hour, one day off) 1 month newer than mine.

I'll go back and reconsider the headlights, passenger seat bottom, and check out the dash. I checked the dashes in an LHS and two other Ms there but for some reason didn't check that one. I also found a T&C Limited with an interesting set of gauges and uConnect that I'll take a closer look at.
Robert- I still have the rear fascia off the green car. You are more than welcome to it, but its all green. PM me if you are interested...
 #387275  by sparky99
 February 10th, 2021, 9:34 pm
well guys, I did a big one... After fighting the no heat/barely having heat issue for a while now, I gave up. The wife and I started talking and we both thought it was time for something a little newer with lower miles.
Its not a LH or even a Mopar, I am sad to say.
but! it brings me back to my roots a bit as I used to work on them. Its got excellent heat too!

THIS IS NO MEANS GOODBYE!!! I WILL NOT BE GOING ANYWHERE!!!!

I just won't be driving an LH anymore.

Yesterday, I traded in the Intrepid and picked up a 2019 Honda Accord Sport 1.5T Its got 12,950 miles on it. one owner lease vehicle. Its really nice and nice for the kids to ride in.

we started weighing the pros/cons a couple of weeks ago and I seen a white one I wanted to drive. I went to the dealer last Saturday and it was gone. I drove the Blue one and fell in love with the overall package. The only con to this car is the payment, but its ok.

They gave me way more for the Intrepid than I expected (was leaking oil/trans fluid, no heat, AC needed recharged and it needed front end work) they ended up giving me 1000 dollars trade.

I will be at the Indy meet and am contemplating on coming to Carlisle, not sure, if I do, It will be as a spectator I believe (don't think they want a Honda on the Show Field during a mopar show)

I'm really excited, but that means I will be selling a lot of parts that never made it to the Intrepid and/or Green car stuff that never found a home. I will gather a list next week sometime, I'm in no hurry...

anyways, here is a pic of the new hot rod!
monte4, M-Pressive liked this
 #387276  by First Lady
 February 10th, 2021, 9:39 pm
Congratulations Robert!!!!!!

Right decision all the way and that Accord is beautiful - that’s color!!!!!!!!!! My roots are Honda too so I understand.

You’re right, you’re not going anywhere!!!!! You’re stuck with us forever!!!!!!! Once family, always family!!!!!!!

Happy driving!!
 #387284  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm
Still Night Pearl! One of my absolutely favorite colors on any vehicle currently made!
If I had stupid money I would paint my Special that color right now!
Congratulations, Robert! I, too, like the current Accord a lot - they're sharp cars!
 #387286  by monte4
 February 11th, 2021, 7:30 pm
Congrats on the new wheels! Terrific colour!
 #387290  by StealthM
 February 11th, 2021, 9:16 pm
Very nice. Good luck with her....