Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • What's your retirement car?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#387079  by First Lady
 January 18th, 2021, 8:21 pm
Maybe this isn't a concept that others think about, but this is a conversation Keith and I have regularly...at least about me!!

A number of years ago now, we were taking Keith's black Mercedes to a local car show at a local auto museum. Right at the entrance was the most adorable, amazingly restored VW Bug. I swooned and the rest is history!! We both decided, that's my retirement car! Can't you see me be-bopping around (likely corgi in the window) in one?!

What is your retirement car?

Mine, hands down is a VW Bug! Blue or green with plaid interior.

Keith, he'd like to pick from the fleet :-)
 #387082  by EasyRider300M
 January 18th, 2021, 10:03 pm
I am now driving my retirement vehicle = a 2002 Black 300M Special. I've owned it since 2005. I have 88,000 miles on the car now. Seeing that I only drive it about 1200 miles a year, it should last for many more years as long as I can keep the rust at bay. I can't see spending $$ on a new car seeing how little I drive. When not being driven, I keep it hooked up to a battery maintainer so it will start right up every time.
 #387087  by FIREM
 January 19th, 2021, 10:05 am
My "Mid-Life Crisis" car has become my "Retirement" car....FIREM forever!
Elcomino has become my "project" car for now, maybe build one of these.....https://www.smythkitcars.com/charger-ute
(they also have Bug kits)

Dreaming BIG Bentley Continental GT Convertible 2003-2011 (must have the V 12)
 #387088  by FalKen
 January 19th, 2021, 10:34 am
70-72 Pontiac lemans/GTO, 69-71 Olds cutlass, convertible would be fun but not a necessity. have been looking to see what's out there. basically anything that I can tinker with and consider a toy that has that muscle car look and sound. Also been looking for a decent 300M to drive daily and continue to look good and be fun to drive.
 #387093  by LUNAT1C
 January 19th, 2021, 1:17 pm
Hard to say, at only 34. I can say for sure that Luna is not going anywhere unless the car is destroyed utterly (total inferno, crushed from something falling on it, crushed in an especially nasty accident, and assuming I would survive if I was in it).

For my retirement, lately I have been wanting two things. One is a 1980's vehicle, about 1987 (my birth year) to enjoy the quirkiness of the 80s as those cars start to become cherished classics for the Millenial and Z generations. Something like a 1987 Trans-Am, or a C4 Corvette, or a Fiero GTV6.

The other is a self-contained overlanding vehicle. My Jeep has been built toward that purpose with better offroad chops than it came with, and some self-recovery added. It has a ways to go, still need lockers, gearing upgrade, shelving and storage built in for a fridge and cooking surface, and of course some way of carrying water and a rooftop tent, possibly in the form of an offroad camping trailer (like a PCOR). I sincerely doubt my 2016 Jeep with over 72,000 miles today will live to my retirement in the 2050's, so that might end up being something like a turn-key vehicle from a company like AEV with the camping gear added to it. If I could afford it, a Unimog, but a Jeep or 1/2-ton truck platform is better for getting around tight offroad areas.
 #387095  by dcsally97
 January 19th, 2021, 1:55 pm
Like Robert I am a sucker for 80's cars. Born in the 70's I drooled over a lot of them. My unicorn, a 1987 Buick GNX. I would also like a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe manual only, 1993 Ford Mustang Cobra....there are too many! Hopefully, I will have a project/retirement car when the time comes.
 #387097  by StealthM
 January 20th, 2021, 12:46 am
Well Robert I was having such a wonderful day until I read your post... I graduated high school in 1987.... lol. But I agree with you and Doug. My retirement shop would be filled with 80's iron.. big fan of the 3rd gen Camaros especially an electric blue IROC with a 350 not the cam eating 305.... And Doug love the Tbirds of that era. Had a 84 turbo coupe that I swapped out the original turbo 2.3 for an SVO 2.3 with a bigger turbo and intercooler... not to mention my first Mopar a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby with T tops.... ahhhhhh memories...
LUNAT1C liked this
 #387103  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 21st, 2021, 11:08 am
This is hard for me as I am many, many years away from retirement.
I already own two cars that I will still own when I retire.
My 2002 Intrepid ES and my 1969 Plymouth Satellite wagon.
I'll always have some kind of truck as they're necessary tools for owning a home and maintaining a fleet of vehicles. To that end, I plan to keep my dad's 2009 Ram as long as I can.
I'll likely have a nice sport sedan like the 300M as a DD, something capable of getting me back and forth on daily errands with space for stuff and people, but also capable of ripping through some curves when I want to.
Ideally I'd love to own something outrageously over the top like a Bentley Bentayga or a Flying Spur as a DD at that point, but I don't realistically see that happening - and who wants to deal with maintenance costs for a Bentley in retirement?
 #387104  by StealthM
 January 21st, 2021, 1:38 pm
Now Ryan thats a whole different animal. That would be if money was no object category. If that was the case I have always had a love for the mid to late 80's (see a pattern here) Ferrari 308 GTS in red of course.... with the optional shoe horn so I can sardine my butt into it..... LOL. Of course there is the 288 GTO with a twin turboed V8..... if you've never seen one look it up....SWEET..
 #387107  by sparky99
 January 21st, 2021, 8:01 pm
mine is an easy choice for me.

1958 Chevrolet Impala (probably convertible) with dual antennas and a continental kit. (color to be determined -possibly navy blue ish)

I absolutely fell in love with them in middle school, I was flipping through a magazine and seen one on a restoration article. From that day on, I've said I will own one someday.
 #387114  by M-Pressive
 January 22nd, 2021, 10:26 am
There is no way I could pick just one.

I want a garage full!
 #387116  by LUNAT1C
 January 22nd, 2021, 11:13 am
M-Pressive wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 10:26 am There is no way I could pick just one.

I want a garage full!
That's the goal. Retire with a pole barn featuring that Trans Am, Fiero GTV6 (human shifted, none of that 3-spd BS), overlanding rig, towable RV, whatever tow vehicle we have after the Durango, and at minimum the blue M! Perhaps a widebody L-car upfitted for performance driving to follow in the tire tracks of a good friend of ours who tracks his 2015 Hellcat Charger.
 #387128  by monte4
 January 24th, 2021, 9:59 am
What's my retirement car? Well I guess it's the M. I've already been retired for 6 years :) . I also have my Ford Ranger 4X4.
M-Pressive liked this
 #387129  by InfernoRedM
 January 24th, 2021, 10:45 am
That's a little closer to reality for me. Since I expect to be retired sometime in the next few years (no more than 5), I'm also thinking it's going to be the Special ... at least at the beginning. Honestly, however, if it gets to be a pain to maintain at some point (it's not now), I'm probably just going to get something newer and without as many problems. Time will tell.