Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Exhaust System

• General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs
Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M and other LHs

Moderator: Moderators

#382726  by Stevelaz

Im getting ready to replace my exhaust system on the 300m. My plan is going completely stock. Im planning on going with all Walker parts and found a Walker parts diagram im going off of. I am replacing everything from the Cats to the rear. All the walker parts, from the band clamps to the rear resonator are available on rock auto for about $720.00 with the club discount and shipping. Any other suggestions of where to get parts?

Im planning on doing this in the garage, on the floor, car on jack stands. Im thinking it will not be that difficult since i am replacing everything. My only concern is how difficult it will be getting the cats apart from the headers? Im figuring the band clamps have to be removed and the cats will come off? If anyone has done this id love to hear from you and any other suggestions are welcome! Oh, If absolutely necessary I should be able to use a lift at a friend shop, but want to try to avoid that... Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #382728  by dcsally97

When I pulled my engine to replace the crank and bearings, I left the cats attached to the exhaust. I loosened the clamps and they popped loose. Very easy.
 #382732  by Stevelaz

That’s great! How were them band clamps to get off? My exhaust is completely original and I fear they will be a pita! Lol
 #382733  by dcsally97

Mine was/still are original with over 220k daily driven miles on them. I hit the clamp nut with PB Blaster and let them sit for a few minutes. Then broke them free with no issues. I was pretty surprised.
 #382739  by FIREM

For that kind of $$$$ I would be inclined to have a shop do the job. Not that Walker is poor quality stuff the fact is it will not last as long as the original system did. Shop around at the local “chain” muffler shops, could be le$$ expensive and may have some sort of warranty. There is a reason those shops have torches and welders......
 #382765  by monte4

Also you can look around to see if there are any custom exhaust shops (talk to any hot rod guys you know of). I found one about a half hour away from me and he put a complete stainless custom bent system in for less than a regular muffler shop.
 #382810  by In-trepid

Steve, if you will make the trip up to the north suburbs, I have a shop in Round Lake Beach that I and my sons have used many times for both routine and custom exhaust work. They are very reasonable and do great work. I'm pretty sure that it would be less than $700. Velasquez & Son's Muffler & Brakes, 507 W Rollins Rd, Round Lake Beach, IL 60073 847-740-6990. I highly recommend them!
 #382814  by Sneke_Eyez

I, personally, consider exhaust work a pain in the butt, so I always farm it out to the guys who know what they're doing.

In my case it is a shop local to me who has worked on roughly 5 Club cars, including 3 of mine. Good people, good prices, good work.
 #382829  by M-Pressive

Sneke_Eyez wrote: March 12th, 2020, 11:56 am I, personally, consider exhaust work a pain in the butt, so I always farm it out to the guys who know what they're doing.

In my case it is a shop local to me who has worked on roughly 5 Club cars, including 3 of mine. Good people, good prices, good work.
I'm with Ryan. I use the same shop as he does, have for years.
 #382845  by Stevelaz

Thanks guys, I’ll keep it all in mind. I still have some time before I decide what to do.
 #382868  by LUNAT1C

I’ll echo previous comments. Find a reputable shop you’re willing to work with and have them quote total system custom replacement. Even if it’s a couple hundred more, I’d do it. Walker is OK, but doesn’t last like the OEM stainless system does. They’ll be able to help you source good components and make all the plumbing custom to your car and properly weld it all together to last a long time.
 #382873  by Mottman

Ok,
My question is, where can we get the original 2 in - 2 out style resonator
that is found on the 300M Special. And the 2 into one pipe that runs back
to the rear suspension ? I cant seem to find those parts.
 #382911  by Sneke_Eyez

Mottman wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:08 am Ok,
My question is, where can we get the original 2 in - 2 out style resonator
that is found on the 300M Special. And the 2 into one pipe that runs back
to the rear suspension ? I cant seem to find those parts.
My exhaust shop found me one no problem that I put on my old Special.
It is a muffler they buy from a supplier of theirs, and it fit and worked like OEM.
 #394559  by Stevelaz

Ok, i finally got the exhaust system. However, i did not get the cats, i looked at them again and they look in good shape and not throwing any codes so i figured id try without them. I got everything from the front resonator all the way back. For any one who has done this themselves, how is that front resonator to get off from the two pipes coming down from the cats. Should it come apart pretty easily or will it be a pita? Since i got everything it looks pretty easy to do in the garage as long as that resonator come off...Thanks!

I also did a crap load of other update that i will write about in another post when i get chance!
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #394568  by Stevelaz

Ok, I guess i can answer my own question 🤣 Yes, it was easy to get apart!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LUNAT1C, StealthM liked this
 #394571  by Stevelaz

Exhaust done , purrs like a kitten 🤣. I must say it all went smooth and was pretty simple the way i did it, replacing everything. Oh, i also got some high heat zinc primer for exhausts and sprayed all the parts before putting them on. Not sure if it will do any good but i gave it a try!
 #394572  by FIREM

Great job. What brand parts did you use? Hope it lasts as long as the original system did.
 #394606  by Stevelaz

I used all walker parts from rock auto. I doubt it will last as long, they never do.
 #394616  by LUNAT1C

If I remember right, Walker uses aluminized steel, which does corrode faster. If you get 10 years out of it, I think you'll be ahead.

The Cherry Bomb's I have on my car in place of the rear resonators are also aluminized steel. By itself it's fine, but any welds could rust quickly. I coated all the welds in a BBQ grille high heat paint to keep moisture away. 8 years later (and only a couple days in salt driving) and it's held up well.
 #394717  by MoPar~Guy

What muffler did you put in for the mid-section (where the 2 pipes from the engine combine and go out 1 pipe) ? I find that muffler is always the first component to rust out and need replacing. I've replaced a couple with the WALKER 21374 QUIET-FLOW and I'm very happy with how the car sounds (I like quiet, I hate loud or droning esp on the highway).

On 300 Specials, that first muffler has 2 outlet pipes and the pipes combine in a Y connector a few feet downstream to a single pipe, sorta dumb I think but ok. I've never come across anyone making that muffler or equivalent replacement. Has anyone seen one?

Oh yea, I just remembered that the exhaust pipes / mufflers are grounded to the body in a few locations, that might be important for electrolytic / rust reasons, static electricity and maybe also for correct operation of the O2 sensors. ?