• Vapor Can and Tank straps

• General Discussions about the 300M
2020 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#376280  by FIREM
 October 26th, 2018, 5:47 am
Rusted bolts: Soak with PB Blaster, if they wont break loose try to tighten slightly to get them to move. Once they break free, as you back them out IF they get stuck, run them back in a bit and re spray with PB. Don't just force them out.
SRT for job is 1.4 hrs Skill level B
 #376281  by Stevelaz
 October 26th, 2018, 7:47 am
FIREM wrote: October 26th, 2018, 5:47 am Rusted bolts: Soak with PB Blaster, if they wont break loose try to tighten slightly to get them to move. Once they break free, as you back them out IF they get stuck, run them back in a bit and re spray with PB. Don't just force them out.
SRT for job is 1.4 hrs Skill level B
Ok, thanks Bob! I think im going to have my local mechanic do this job. When under there spraying the PB it was a little difficult with my injured ankle. I stopped by there yesterday and he said it was no problem and to drop it off when i get the parts. He said he will put it up on the rack and really spray the bolts good. He will then let it sit half day or so and do it towards the end of the day and hopefully not have to cut or break any of the the bolts! I told him to keep it as long as he wants since i have another car. Im also going to go there when its up on the rack and give it a good undercarriage inspection to see what else may be in need of repair (break, gas lines ect). I know the exhaust is pretty bad and i was planning to tackle that soon to.

Also Bob, Im wondering if i should also replace the fuel tank neck filler? It looked a bit rusty to but im going to try to look at that again. Is that something that has been problems for any before? Would it be easy to change later? Thanks!
 #376283  by FIREM
 October 26th, 2018, 2:27 pm
Filler necks have not yet been a issue.
Brake lines, tank straps, & struts are on the "watch list"
 #376284  by Stevelaz
 October 26th, 2018, 2:49 pm
FIREM wrote: October 26th, 2018, 2:27 pm Filler necks have not yet been a issue.
Brake lines, tank straps, & struts are on the "watch list"
Thanks again Bob! I went out and looked under it again and filler neck did look bad closer to the tank, especially the the smaller pipe! I came in and just ordered the darn thing. I also did a search here and found a few did have issues with it. I ordered the SPECTRA PREMIUM FN889 . I figured I might as well do it since im planning on keeping this car!

Also, i received the tank straps this morning. They seem pretty thick and good quality. I just cant believe that metal would rust that bad and break, but then again after 20 some years anything is possible. They were painted but had few minor scratches on them exposing bare metal. I thought i still had some por15 left over to coat them with but cannot find it. I sprayed them with rust-oleum high performance enamel i had.
 #376285  by Sneke_Eyez
 October 26th, 2018, 3:16 pm
When I did my mom's 2004 M the filler neck was pretty flaky.

I would have replaced it had I had to do the job again, but she sold the car with 168k on it and the filler neck was still fine.
 #380351  by chrysler2002
 August 17th, 2019, 1:03 pm
Bob - I'm trying to drop the evap canister (next to the gas tank) on my '02 300M.

Squeezing the two bottom clips is easy, but I can't get the old canister to come loose from the top hook.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Rob
 #380352  by M-Pressive
 August 17th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Is the tank dropped?

You need to drop the tank and rotate the canister up to remove it from the top clip.

It will come right off as you rotate it up.