Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Group Buy Intake Manifold spacers $40.00 + actual shipping. DEADLINE 11/11/19 For Ordering CLOSED

  • Club Members Only may Post an ad to buy or sell something
Membership Banner

Club Members Only may Post an ad to buy or sell something

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
 #381954  by sparky99
 January 19th, 2020, 8:40 pm
Thanks Bob, I appreciate your efforts.
User avatar
 #381961  by FIREM
 January 21st, 2020, 10:37 am
Updated as of today.
First 10 spacers have shipped.
Remaining orders will be sent once I receive them.
I have PM'd folks that I need shipping info from, please respond.
Final spacers should be done by the end of the month.
Thanks to all for your patience and support during the process.
 #381999  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am
In-trepid wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am Got the bolts yesterday from BoltDepot.com

Image
John, how much are those? Are you using washers as well?
User avatar
 #382006  by LUNAT1C
 January 22nd, 2020, 10:30 am
Let me know how those work out for you. The V3 spacers came with bolts that weren't very strong... strong enough to hold the plenum down, but torqueing down cause the heads to snap. I'm always careful not to get too tight. I'm chasing a strange whistle as about 1-1.5k RPM, so I'd like to rule out plenum torque with stronger bolts and tighten it down better.
User avatar
 #382007  by Sneke_Eyez
 January 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am
LUNAT1C wrote:Let me know how those work out for you. The V3 spacers came with bolts that weren't very strong... strong enough to hold the plenum down, but torqueing down cause the heads to snap. I'm always careful not to get too tight. I'm chasing a strange whistle as about 1-1.5k RPM, so I'd like to rule out plenum torque with stronger bolts and tighten it down better.
Interesting - I don't remember that problem. I never had an issue with my V3 spacer or the bolts Steph sent me.

The ones John bought (and I linked) are Grade 10.9, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.
User avatar
 #382013  by LUNAT1C
 January 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am
LUNAT1C wrote:Let me know how those work out for you. The V3 spacers came with bolts that weren't very strong... strong enough to hold the plenum down, but torqueing down cause the heads to snap. I'm always careful not to get too tight. I'm chasing a strange whistle as about 1-1.5k RPM, so I'd like to rule out plenum torque with stronger bolts and tighten it down better.
Interesting - I don't remember that problem. I never had an issue with my V3 spacer or the bolts Steph sent me.

The ones John bought (and I linked) are Grade 10.9, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.
It's something Ryan had noticed early on in development of the V3 spacer. The bolts looked nice, but were a weaker material. I can't recall the grade, but if higher numbers are better than I assume 10.9 is good to go, as Jeepers always suggest upgrading trackbar bolts to Grade 8 to avoid death wobble (a lot more forces at play versus holding down an intake manifold).
 #382015  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 3:36 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am
LUNAT1C wrote:Let me know how those work out for you. The V3 spacers came with bolts that weren't very strong... strong enough to hold the plenum down, but torqueing down cause the heads to snap. I'm always careful not to get too tight. I'm chasing a strange whistle as about 1-1.5k RPM, so I'd like to rule out plenum torque with stronger bolts and tighten it down better.
Interesting - I don't remember that problem. I never had an issue with my V3 spacer or the bolts Steph sent me.

The ones John bought (and I linked) are Grade 10.9, though, so it shouldn't be an issue.
It's something Ryan had noticed early on in development of the V3 spacer. The bolts looked nice, but were a weaker material. I can't recall the grade, but if higher numbers are better than I assume 10.9 is good to go, as Jeepers always suggest upgrading trackbar bolts to Grade 8 to avoid death wobble (a lot more forces at play versus holding down an intake manifold).
In reading through the OG posts about the V3 spacer, I noticed some talk about stainless hardware. Is that what you have/had Robert?
 #382018  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 4:42 pm
dcsally97 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:41 am
In-trepid wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 9:31 am Got the bolts yesterday from BoltDepot.com

Image
John, how much are those? Are you using washers as well?
Hey John, In Bob's post he specified 95mm bolts, yours are 100mm. Will there be any issues (bottoming out) with the added 5mm?
User avatar
 #382021  by FIREM
 January 22nd, 2020, 5:54 pm
One run of spacers was available with bolts. Bolts provided were 304 Stainless that are pretty but not really rated and are easily broken. If I recall, after some testing 60inlb torque did the job, (actual spec is 105 "#)
100mm bolts may be a touch long but its a good bet with a lock and flat washer they will work well. Worst case may need 2 flat washers to prevent bottom out. 10.9 grade is even better than the OE bolts so no breakage problems there.
User avatar
 #382023  by beespecial
 January 22nd, 2020, 6:49 pm
I've been considering some allen head 95mm bolts that I found. Since the bolt head isn't seen that well anyway these may be a good option. They are 10.9 grade.
 #382024  by dcsally97
 January 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm
beespecial wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 6:49 pm I've been considering some allen head 95mm bolts that I found. Since the bolt head isn't seen that well anyway these may be a good option. They are 10.9 grade.
I thought about this as well John. The down side, if any water gets on them, there is a potential for rust.
User avatar
 #382034  by beespecial
 January 23rd, 2020, 10:16 am
dcsally97 wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 7:20 pm I thought about this as well John. The down side, if any water gets on them, there is a potential for rust.
What? You don't dry your engine after washing? :eek :lol:

I've thought of that as well and if I do end up using them, I'll either paint them first with a good heat resistant paint or give each one a small shot of Fluid Film to retard any oxidation or, maybe both.
User avatar
 #382041  by beespecial
 January 23rd, 2020, 4:44 pm
Upon further review, I've decided on the hex head zinc plated 100mm bolts from Bolt Depot. I got a couple of extras to see if I can cut the bolt down closer to 95mm so I don't have to use multiple washers .
LUNAT1C, dcsally97 liked this
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7