Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 2002 300M (transmission issue)

• Club Members Only may Post an ad to buy or sell something
Membership Banner

Club Members Only may Post an ad to buy or sell something

Moderator: Moderators

#386257  by wolvie48
 October 25th, 2020, 11:23 pm
So my wife and daughter took a trip to Nebraska this weekend. They were leaving to come home and my wife said the transmission let go. There is a little bit of grinding, but she is catching no gears.

Is there anyone that would be interested in purchasing it? Car is in Humboldt, NE. 2002 300M Special. +/-144k. It's in good condition, no rust. If interested please PM and we can work out some details.

The car is worth rebuilding the transmission, I just have moved on. I really don't want to take it to a junk yard.
02 300M Special liked this
 #386279  by In-trepid
 October 27th, 2020, 8:45 am
Some pictures and a starting price would help people decide if it is worth the effort.
 #386283  by wolvie48
 October 27th, 2020, 12:30 pm
You are correct, sir. I posted this up too quickly as I was frustrated over what happened. I will redo the post later tonight and provide more information. Thank you for pointing it out.
 #386286  by wolvie48
 October 27th, 2020, 4:24 pm
A better clarification on this situation… we live in northern Wisconsin and my wife and daughter went to Nebraska for the weekend. They were leaving to come home and the transmission let go. She said the car would roll when it was in park, so she had to use the emergency brake. The town it’s in is small and there are no transmission shops. I am planning on going this weekend to pick it up and bring it back to Wisconsin.

So what I have is a Silver 2002 300M Special. +/-142,000 miles. I purchased the car from a used car dealership in Philadelphia in September of 2016 and it had 65,590 miles at the time. So we’ve put on about 76,000 miles in the last four years. The car was one owner (from the Boston area). From the CarFax it looks like it was traded in at the dealership it was purchased and then went to auction. The body does not have any rust. The interior is in good condition (NO cracked dash), but could use a good cleaning.

List of repairs:
Spark plugs – Sept. 2016
Transmission fluid & filter change – December 2017 (mute point I know, just showing that I did maintenance)
New mid muffler – July 2019
Battery – October 2019
Monroe 71669 rear struts (reused stock springs) – October 2019
OEM camshaft position sensor – January 2020
Control arm & tension struts for both sides – April 2020
Passenger side drive axle – April 2020
Gates water pump & timing belt kit, A/C belt and serpentine belt – April 2020

Front struts were on the to-do-list. They are not terrible, but defiantly showing their age.

I have snow tires mounted on steel rims (that could possibly go with) and was going to get new summer tires over the winter. So it could use new tires.

I have a CompuStar remote start installed with Drone Mobile. I also have a Pioneer AVH-3400NEX radio installed. I did not upgrade the speakers or amp, so the sound is not the greatest. I still have the factory radio and CD changer as well.

It’s a great car, I have moved on to a different car. I would not have sent my wife and daughter on 20 hour round trip road trip if I didn’t think it was a great car. My plan was to put on new front struts and new tires and put it up for sale this spring (the new car is kind of a project car).
I’m not sure where to price it. A transmission rebuild is what, $2,000 - $3,000? And what are these cars valued at… about the same? Maybe one of you has a lead on a good used transmission?
If you have any questions, please let me know. I’m open to reasonable offers.

I attached the most recent picture I have from this past summer. I don't have any other pictures at the moment... obviously the car is in Nebraska and I'm at the airport in Atlanta at the moment.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #386290  by In-trepid
 October 27th, 2020, 7:35 pm
I have a transmission in storage that I bought as part of a complete engine cradle and components. It appears to be in good shape and the fluid is bright red, so this car may hold some interest with me, either to buy in it's present condition or to sell the transmission to fix it. The transmission came out of a 2004 Concord 3.5 with 96,000 miles, so it is an exact replacement. You are pretty accurate on your estimates of what a transmission rebuild would cost as well as what these cars sell for.
 #386298  by LUNAT1C
 October 29th, 2020, 5:37 pm
Just to add some information.

I paid $2200 to have my A606 thoroughly gone through in May 2015 (new clutch packs, new solenoid, new torque converter, fresh ATF+4 and filter, all Mopar parts done by an independent transmission shop). So your estimate is about right I think.

Used transaxles might run a few hundred dollars for the gearbox itself, plus installation, and then who knows what the condition is if the donor vehicle's mechanical condition is unknown. If you like the car and want to keep it, I'd search down that road. If not, just something to consider for anyone considering buying it. Seems like it's in great shape and worth saving.
 #386598  by wolvie48
 November 23rd, 2020, 2:47 pm
Turns out it was the drive axle. The passenger side one I replaced this past April. Looks like I get to go have a discussion with O'Reilly's...

So I have decided not to sell the car now.
M-Pressive, StealthM, EasyRider300M and 1 others liked this
 #386600  by StealthM
 November 23rd, 2020, 6:39 pm
Don't you love when things work out like that.... it was meant to be... drive on brother.... oh yeah. She's a bute.
 #386603  by dcsally97
 November 23rd, 2020, 8:13 pm
That's great news Scott! Hopefully they will warranty the axle.
 #386604  by EasyRider300M
 November 23rd, 2020, 11:33 pm
Great news
 #386621  by LUNAT1C
 November 25th, 2020, 10:20 am
Some notes on drive axles that a few of us have discovered the past several years.

Aftermarket replacements from China, out of the box, generally aren't going to hold into the differential/trans very well. The reason for this is the circlip they provide is undersized. We've seen a few instances where the axle fell out of the diff. The fix is to order the circlip from the dealer and use that instead.

Those same Chinese units are also stated as fitting the Specials, however they are not the same as what the factory installed. From the factory, Specials received thicker axle shafts and different spline counts. The aftermarket modeled its product after the Base axle assemblies and lists them as compatible for all LH cars when they truly aren't. They'll install and work, but you'll have issues. I had both of my axles replaced with Chinese units after my failed engine/trans mounts changed the geometry of my drive axles and ruined them, causing a severe chatter under 1st gear heavy load. With them installed (and after rebuilding the trans because all that time not knowing the issue ruined that too), I then had a distinctive "clunk" anytime I switched between reverse and drive. On a hunch, I had the Chinese drive axles replaced with Cardone remanufactured units, again using dealer-sourced circlips. I confirmed the reman units were indeed originally from a Special with the correct shaft thickness. I did that a few years ago and have had zero driveline issues since then.

So, some food for thought. Have a discussion with O-Reilly and the manufacturer, but I would look to getting it swapped out with the A1 Cardone remanufactured unit (not new).