Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Ratcheting Spline Wrenches..

• A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.
Membership Banner

A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.

Moderator: Moderators

#293715  by 300maximilien

I have been thinking about picking up a set of these. Anyone have any experience with these types of ratcheting wrenches.....specifically the spline type??

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85598- ... ine+wrench
 #293717  by Bill Putney

I haven't seen those, Craig. Are those for torx studs (like on our door hinges)?
 #293718  by BXZ

I have a couple sets of them, haven't had any problems with them. I like them, saves time!
 #293719  by EasyRider300M

these look pretty interesting too

#293721  by 300maximilien

Bill they work on many types of fastener heads
Works on E-Torx, Square, 6 and 12 point, 6 point 50% rounded, and Spline
 #293722  by 300maximilien

[youtube]xkfk86dREKY&feature=related[/youtube]
 #293726  by BMac

I have a few different sets of these (not this particular box end design, just regular 6-point). I really like them and have had no problems with them. The only suggestion is that you make sure that they have a fine ratchet action so that you can move a nut or bolt in tight quarters where you have little movement . I have seen ratcheting wrenches with a coarse ratchet action that would be useless when you have little room to move your hand. All of mine are GearWrench brand and have a fine ratchet action. Hope this helps.
 #293728  by EasyRider300M

aren't most nuts and bolts on our car of metric size?
 #293754  by Brando26

yes, you'll notice 9, 15, 17 and a bunch of other sizes are missing. there are a few 15mm bolts on our car. negative ground cable is a major.
 #293764  by 300maximilien

Brandon, what do you mean missing?
 #293767  by EasyRider300M

Brandon---I don't think the # sign refers to mm----this looks like an sae set---I believe metric would be more appropriate for our cars
 #293768  by 300maximilien

correct the picture used was just for illusstration. I was looking for feedback on the type of tool....not the specific pictured set of SAE.

I would most likely get both Met and SAE since I work on many vehicles as well as houses.
 #293820  by Craig300

I have 2 of these, 13mm and 15mm, real handy for adjusting the belts without taking anything apart.
 #293821  by Bill Putney

Craig300 wrote:I have 2 of these, 13mm and 15mm, real handy for adjusting the belts without taking anything apart.
I was thinking the same thing because of their extra length.
 #293824  by TrueBlue

If you do grab them, get the flex-head design, adds functionality. They are so thin that they can get where a socket can't, and the ratchet mechanism only needs around 5 degrees to actuate. I've had both sets for about 8 years now and I can say they're nice to have in the toolbox.
 #299449  by mnitetrain

Probably not the same quality but Harbor Freight flyer Feb 2013 has similair sets SAE or metric $16.99. Coupon code 14101927.

SAE 5/16-3/4 #96654
Metric 8mm-17mm #95552

HF reg retail is $39.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-sa ... 96654.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-me ... 95552.html

Price makes it a nice JIC (just in case) .
 #301278  by RealmSteel

They look interesting, but I've got a set of Matco double box ratchets wrenches.
They are similar, but have a box end instead of an open end.
They are not spline looking.
These are my go-to wrenches and use them all the time.

I seldom use open end wrenches, but if the need arises, I have sets of regular combo wrench, both standard length and shorties.

I'd have to read up on the reason for the spline, but using top branded tools and the correct tool for the job seldom results in rounded off nuts.
 #301284  by 300maximilien

RealmSteel wrote:
I'd have to read up on the reason for the spline, but using top branded tools and the correct tool for the job seldom results in rounded off nuts.
Works on E-Torx, Square, 6 and 12 point, 6 point 50% rounded, and Spline

They work on all fasteners listed above...that is the sell
 #301288  by Bill Putney

RealmSteel wrote:...I've got a set of Matco double box ratchets wrenches.
They are similar, but have a box end instead of an open end.
They are not spline looking.
These are my go-to wrenches and use them all the time...I'd have to read up on the reason for the spline, but using top branded tools and the correct tool for the job seldom results in rounded off nuts.
Valid points. For least risk of rounding (on hex), of course 6-pt box ends are going to be max. torque before rounding (you didn't say if your Matco double boxes are 6- or 12-point). Anything less (12-point, spline, whatever) is going to compromise that. Using something like spline wrenches (for their versatility due to being usable on the several difernt head shapes) should definitely be with the understanding that if more than normal torque is going to be needed for corrosion, loctite, or whatever, the least risk of damage and highest probability of successful removal is going to be with 6-pointers.
 #301319  by RealmSteel

Here is the set I have.
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/produ ... RENCH-SET/

Even though they are 12 point, I never round off a nut.
If I am working with severely rusted parts, I usually use a an impact with 6 point sockets.

I do happen to also have a set of 6 point combination wrenches with a funky open end that allows the wrench to "ratchet" similar to these. It's off brand and I rarely use them. Bought them used a long time ago.
http://toolmonger.com/2006/12/16/finds- ... -wrenches/

I rarely run into any goofy nut style myself.
When I was building engines, I mainly ran into 12 point nuts for head studs.