Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • New way to get your nuts off....

• A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.
Membership Banner

A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.

Moderator: Moderators

#317836  by 300maximilien

These look like a great tool to have around. At $500 it's a bit pricey though!

#317837  by Bill Putney

Inductive heating - used in industry. Pretty neat way to do it. Maybe they'll figure out ways to make them that will hold up OK for occasional (DIY) use without breaking the bank. I wonder if there are some articles on the internet on building them from scratch.

EDIT: Here's how to do it: http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/D ... heater.htm
That was just one link from a Bing search - there may be other articles as well. They tell you how to DIY, and they offer the main parts for sale.

Here's their video:
[youtube]2-EZ3M31Zj8#t[/youtube]

Lots of other youtube videos on the subject. Here's one that uses parts cannibalized from a microwave oven and nothing else:

There may be even better articles and you tube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... JTq6WhnHKM

HEY BOB - any of your students need a project? :)
 #317845  by hrmwrm

they work good too. just kinda bulky to use them to get into many places. got one at work a couple years back.
 #317847  by Bill Putney

Ideal for the situation in the video that Craig posted - the heat will be greatest on the outside due to the skin effect, so the nut would get hotter than the rod and expand more.

#317881  by Adpros

That's some cool, I mean HOT technology!
 #317899  by JTROANOKE

Bill Putney wrote:Ideal for the situation in the video that Craig posted - the heat will be greatest on the outside due to the skin effect, so the nut would get hotter than the rod and expand more.
Yeah, I have to laugh when I see people applying a torch to the stud instead of the nut. Years ago, a friend and I got a ball joint off of a car by heating the nut with a torch while dribbling cold water on the stud.

These heaters are used a lot in industrial settings where an open flame is prohibited due to flammables in the area. We need to send a picture to Harbor Freight - they will have it in 6 months for $49.99.
 #317930  by Bill Putney

JTROANOKE wrote:...We need to send a picture to Harbor Freight - they will have it in 6 months for $49.99.
True. :)
 #317941  by FIREM

The tool rep that calls on the school had one of these as a demo a few months ago. Works real well IF you have access. Another rep that calls on us has another approach. "Freeze" in a can to chill and shrink parts to release them.
For now if a little PB or FIRE doesn't get the job done :ohwell