Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Blowing smoke

Membership Banner

Moderator: Moderators

#365571  by Francesco

It's not shocking, but there's enough smoke coming from my exhaust to be embarrassing (and that's coming from a smoker). Also, when I do get a whiff myself, it smells like "the carburator is mixing it a little rich".
It's also burning some oil. I had to add about a quart after 4,000 km/2,500 miles, and there are no signs of leakage on the driveway.
No error codes, at least not when I do the trick with the ignition key. Would it be wise to have its dirty memories pulled by a garage?
I don't think it will pass the emission test like this, and that's coming up next month. What would be the best approach here?
 #365573  by FIREM

If it were a fueling problem there would be codes from the O2 sensors. Air cleaner and PCV serviced recently? Both can affect oil consumption. 1 qt 2500 miles is not a problem, qt 500 would be a concern
 #365577  by user97

Bill indicated that on his 2.7 that was due to valve stem seals leaking, which resulted in some smoke on accelerations/startup. That is a vague memory that I have.
 #365581  by paintballdude05

user97 wrote:Bill indicated that on his 2.7 that was due to valve stem seals leaking, which resulted in some smoke on accelerations/startup. That is a vague memory that I have.
I recall the same, I'd say you might have some leaky valve stem seals.
 #365594  by FIREM

#365599  by remi

To be honest, these engines do smoke... Compared to little engines!
Both my 3.5 did (and does for the remaining one) smoke white at stop light specially now because of the cold weather. But even during summer there is a lot of water condensing at the exhaust. I think driving with E10 amplify this phenomena. And it is even worse with E85 (when I used to drive with that).

May not be related to this, it's more related to your water pump thread hut... You should consider sending an oil sample to blackstone labs (search on google) to confirm there is no coolant in there by the way.

Sent from mTalk
 #365652  by 300maximilien

White or blue?
 #365653  by Vackler

My 02 3.5 is right in line with all of this at 110k miles.

Occasionally puff upon start up, and under heavy acceleration (responding to emergency scenes). Smells real good idling, steamy oil consumption. Uses a quart between oil changes. Good ol guys down at the Chrysler dealership spout out the typical "that amount of oil use is within specs".

I've replaced my pcv, and a clean filter. I've tried to lessen it with different oil additives, different types of oil, nothing really impressed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk