Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • My Latest Oil Analysis Results

• Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.
Membership Banner

Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.

Moderator: Moderators

#129448  by grayslater

Here are some great comments from Blackstone Laboratoties.
Turns out that Pennzoil Platinum is a good alternative to the more expensive Mobil 1.
00 300M 4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#129454  by swalker

Cory are you using a K&N air filter?

#129457  by grayslater

swalker wrote:Cory are you using a K&N air filter?
As a matter of fact I am, Stan. :)
Any particular reason why? Are you looking at the silicon count?

#129461  by Shadowvox6

grayslater wrote:
swalker wrote:Cory are you using a K&N air filter?
As a matter of fact I am, Stan. :)
Any particular reason why? Are you looking at the silicon count?
How long has it been since you have cleaned it?
I would not worry about those Silicone numbers...they are not bad.
But I would clean the filter twice a year.
That will keep the Silicone numbers low.

#129463  by grayslater

shadowvox6 wrote:How long has it been since you have cleaned it?
I was going to do it once a year (approx. 25,000 miles) from what I read.
According to the K&N website...
All of our air filters are washable and reusable. They can be easily cleaned and oiled using our K&N Recharger kits and returned to your vehicle up to 25 times. We recommend you check your air filter every 30,000 miles, however, under most street conditions the filter will not require cleaning until 50,000 miles of continuous use. And yes, we've heard the stories of customers who ran their K&N filter for 100,000 miles without a cleaning, but we believe cleaning after 50,000 miles to be the most beneficial service life without sacrificing air flow.

#129464  by swalker

Yea I was just wondering. I was kind of worried about the K&N. I have the drop in kind.

#129503  by Shadowvox6

grayslater wrote:
shadowvox6 wrote:How long has it been since you have cleaned it?
I was going to do it once a year (approx. 25,000 miles) from what I read.
According to the K&N website...
All of our air filters are washable and reusable. They can be easily cleaned and oiled using our K&N Recharger kits and returned to your vehicle up to 25 times. We recommend you check your air filter every 30,000 miles, however, under most street conditions the filter will not require cleaning until 50,000 miles of continuous use. And yes, we've heard the stories of customers who ran their K&N filter for 100,000 miles without a cleaning, but we believe cleaning after 50,000 miles to be the most beneficial service life without sacrificing air flow.
Yeah...Take that with a grain of salt....
Generally speaking....cleaning it twice a year will keep the oil fresh...that is what allows the silicone numbers to climb IMO...as the filter loses its oil, it loses its abilities to filter out the smaller micron sized items. IMO, that is when the Silicone number starts to spike. I will go through a cleaning kit every year. It is a small expense, but my filter is usually clean.

#129580  by JoeyK.

This is some great info. to have guys! I have noticed the Mobil 1 5 w30 in my M looking pretty darn good at 3k miles. Mines' mostly highway driving too. I'm getting close to my second change since I've owned the car. Once I hit my third I too will let it ride a little longer. :)

#135417  by windowpane

Cory, Tom, when you guys change the filter do you drain out a quart or just remove the filter and whatever comes out comes out then just add oil until the dipstick shows the right level?

I'm about due for a filter change and will be sending off a sample to the lab to see how my oil's holding up, so far I've got about 4k on the oil and filter.

#135421  by Shadowvox6

windowpane wrote:Cory, Tom, when you guys change the filter do you drain out a quart or just remove the filter and whatever comes out comes out then just add oil until the dipstick shows the right level?

I'm about due for a filter change and will be sending off a sample to the lab to see how my oil's holding up, so far I've got about 4k on the oil and filter.
Yeah, I will change the filter, and replace about 3/4 of a qt...drive it a bit, and check it. Then add accordingly. The full size filters will use ~ 1qt.
I don't do the longer OCI's with the Special. I will go 6k, that should not require a filter change. Beyond 7500 miles though, it wouldn't hurt!!

#135422  by Bill Putney

shadowvox6 wrote:Yeah, I will change the filter, and replace about 3/4 of a qt...
Tom - I figured you for filling the filter with oil before screwing it on. :)

#135423  by Shadowvox6

Bill Putney wrote:
shadowvox6 wrote:Yeah, I will change the filter, and replace about 3/4 of a qt...

I put a little in, but not much. I did that once on my 99, and I ended up wearing most, if not all of it!!

#135431  by grayslater

windowpane wrote:Cory, Tom, when you guys change the filter do you drain out a quart or just remove the filter and whatever comes out comes out then just add oil until the dipstick shows the right level?

I just remove the filter and whatever comes out comes out. Clean the surface, lube the oil filter gasket, fill the new filter about 1/2 way and add oil accordingly. Usually is less than 1 qt.

But if I do an oil sample, I don't take the first oil that comes out when removing the oil drain. I give it a few seconds and then top off the sample container. This usually puts me at adding 1 qt.

You can also pull the sample oil from the dipstick if you have a pump.

#135444  by windowpane

Thanks guys, I will probably just change the oil. I realized it's time, nearly a year now, so might as well do it all and send out the sample to see how it did that long and close to 4k miles on the same filter.

#135445  by grayslater

windowpane wrote:Thanks guys, I will probably just change the oil. I realized it's time, nearly a year now, so might as well do it all and send out the sample to see how it did that long and close to 4k miles on the same filter.
Wow! 4k in a year! That's 8 weeks for me for each of our 2 Ms. gulp! In about 4 months, our '04 will be ready for the timing belt and water pump proceedure. I've already started shopping for it. :)

#135446  by Bill Putney

shadowvox6 wrote:
Bill Putney wrote:

I put a little in, but not much. I did that once on my 99, and I ended up wearing most, if not all of it!!
Yeah I guess on the 3.5, the filter is a bit tilted. On the 2.7, it is perfectly vertical, so it could be 90% pre-filled.

#135508  by 99300mricva

Bill Putney wrote:
shadowvox6 wrote:
Bill Putney wrote: Tom - I figured you for filling the filter with oil before screwing it on. :)

Yeah I guess on the 3.5, the filter is a bit tilted. On the 2.7, it is perfectly vertical, so it could be 90% pre-filled.
A bit tilted? Try 90 degs. :hammer

#135515  by grayslater

90 degs?? Not sure what you're looking at or if you're joking? :)

#136787  by Mugs300M

grayslater wrote:90 degs?? Not sure what you're looking at or if you're joking? :)
Maybe it has to pass through 90 degrees to get it into position?

#136872  by Shadowvox6

Mugs300M wrote:
grayslater wrote:90 degs?? Not sure what you're looking at or if you're joking? :)
Maybe it has to pass through 90 degrees to get it into position?
With the shorter filter you can tilt it to get it into position.