Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Took the R/T to the drags...

• Discussions about the 3rd Generation Chrysler/Dodge Sedans, the LX Platform.
Membership Banner

Discussions about the 3rd Generation Chrysler/Dodge Sedans, the LX Platform.

Moderator: Moderators

#131297  by Antigini

Sadly, this place is more of a makeshift strip that is first and foremost a runway, so there are no time sheets here. I have no video proof of it either, but i'd imagine my word would be trusted. The temperature that Friday night was around 65 with very little, if any humidity. Keep in mind, my elevation is 3,800 +/- about 150 feet.

I made about 4 passes in the R/T. Tank was 3/4 full of 86 octane. I left everything in the car, even all the stuff in the trunk my mom hauls with her. Didn't let any air out of the tires or anything. Basically, there was no prep in any form. I did, however, remove the engine cover to allow more airflow.

First run was against my brother in the 05' RAM. It was a 15.5 run. ESP was off, although I forgot about the autostick.

Second run was a 15.2. I would have had a much better time than this, but as soo as I let the brake go I realized I wasn't in autostick and instead of just letting it be as it was, I knocked it into autostick and hurt my time. This run was also against the RAM.

The third run I went up against a Silverado SS. Either the guy didn't know how to drive or something was wrong. He ran a 16.1. I ran a 14.8. That's right my friends, I broke the 14 second barrier. I was so ready for this run, everything went very well. ESP off, autostick with time to spare ready, great reaction time. I couldn't have hoped for a better run.

My final run I was still on such a high that I hesitated. I was up against a different Ram with a HEMI, although a nitrous dry shot of 75. He ran a 15.1 and I ran another 15.5. Oh well. You can't win them all.

I'm so happy about the 14.8 though. I asked JACumbo to look up stock times for the car as well as weight and it comes in at 4031 curb weight and a 14.3 quarter time. If I were at sea level, i'm convinced i'd be a low 14 or possibly a high 13 depending on how much power the K&N intake really gives. If the dyno sheet is accurate, the R/T, in optimal conditions would be around 310 at the wheels. :headbang I'm still very excited over this, and I know I was turning quite a few heads judging from the looks and questions I got all night.

#131306  by JA Cumbo

Something else i thought about too, you are probably 75 pounds lighter than the typical car test driver as well. I know the topic has come up here from time to time, but your weight advantage should have accounted for at least .1 or .2 seconds.

#131307  by Antigini

Yeah, but there's got to be a good 20 pounds of stuff in the trunk that is carried around everywhere, so that somewhat reduces the weight advantage. I really wonder how much of an advantage it is though...

#131308  by EasyRider300M

congrats on the 14.8 time. At your weight, you should apply for a position driving a pro dragster. Either that or take up horse racing and go for a jockey position.

I heard that the Camry SE can do about 14.5 sec in the quarter mile.

#131309  by Antigini

I honestly wonder what the time would have been if my elevation weren't so high.

#131320  by Almond300mMD

My buddies Altima runs consistent 14.1's (has been 13.99) with just intake and exhaust. I am not trying to kill your high Lisa (sounds like you had a great time) I just think something is wring when Chrysler has to put a decent sized v-8 to keep up with 6 cyl imported family sedans.

#131328  by Scott1094

Almond,

I would be surprised if that Altima comes in at much more than 3200 pounds. As you well know, in drag racing weight is the killer. Drop Lisa's R/T down 800# and her ET would drop quite nicely. She didn't mention if she suffered from tire spin on launch but it wouldn't surprise me that there was some. Lastly, no way to know overall gear ratios on those two cars.

Scott

#131393  by Antigini

I had a decent amount of tire spin the first couple runs. The 14.8 had some tire spin with it, but it was a good hook-up and quick launch.

Does his Altima run that at 3,800 elevation? :monpython

#131469  by Almond300mMD

Antigini wrote:I had a decent amount of tire spin the first couple runs. The 14.8 had some tire spin with it, but it was a good hook-up and quick launch.

Does his Altima run that at 3,800 elevation? :monpython
Of course not. I am not really trying to compare the cars (maybe I am) I am just trying to express my disappointment that DC has to throw a hemi in there cars to keep up with what other manufacturer's are doing with a small v6. The M should be a mid 14 second car with the power it is rated at.

#131498  by Antigini

I agree the M should be faster, but what really takes away is the incredible loss of power from the crank to the wheels.

Stock, the R/T makes 290 at the wheels. K&N claims a 20 horsepower gain, but I didn't really believe it, considering the air quality here especially, so i'd settle to say it gained about 10, bumping the Charger up to 300 at the wheels. Hopefully, if I have it my way, i'll throw in an exhaust and see what it does. This car isn't really going to have much performance modification to it because 1. its a daily driver and 2. its still not mine yet! There will be some visual modifications, such as a SRT-type spoiler and possibly some stripes. Otherwise, I hope if I can get that exhaust on there, i'll be able to hit an actual track and get some time slips so I can figure out what I need to work on.

#131515  by Scott1094

Almond,

I'm pretty sure I'm a lot older than you, a LOT. All that gives me is a longer memory. From your posts it is quite clear that you have managed to wring an incredible amount of power out of smaller engines and your 12 second Neon would have slaughtered most of the "so called" muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. So, where is this going? For as long as I can remember the big Chrysler's and the big Dodges (not Darts and Cornets, etc.) have been built for soft highway cruising. Our LH cars were among the first big Chryslers (other than letter series 300's) to have good handling along with power. What they have never been is drag racers. Even the big letter series cars (I had a 60 300F) were only high 14 second cars. They had and have powerful engines to get that mass moving but, getting 4,000 pounds into the low 14's is quite a big deal. They were not designed for that. The standard rear gear in the 60's was a 3.23:1 and today to boost mileage they are in the 2.XX:1 range. All I'm saying is that for what they were designed to do the new 300's and Magnum/Chargers do pretty well at the drag strip.

Scott

#131600  by Almond300mMD

scott1094 wrote:Almond,

I'm pretty sure I'm a lot older than you, a LOT. All that gives me is a longer memory. From your posts it is quite clear that you have managed to wring an incredible amount of power out of smaller engines and your 12 second Neon would have slaughtered most of the "so called" muscle cars of the 60's and 70's. So, where is this going? For as long as I can remember the big Chrysler's and the big Dodges (not Darts and Cornets, etc.) have been built for soft highway cruising. Our LH cars were among the first big Chryslers (other than letter series 300's) to have good handling along with power. What they have never been is drag racers. Even the big letter series cars (I had a 60 300F) were only high 14 second cars. They had and have powerful engines to get that mass moving but, getting 4,000 pounds into the low 14's is quite a big deal. They were not designed for that. The standard rear gear in the 60's was a 3.23:1 and today to boost mileage they are in the 2.XX:1 range. All I'm saying is that for what they were designed to do the new 300's and Magnum/Chargers do pretty well at the drag strip.

Scott
I have never really though about it like that, Scott. Come to think of it, DC has done some amazing things when they build a car to be fast. The srt-4 is the worlds fastest FWD 4cyl production car (I believe). Being young and stupid I don't always see things for what they are. This is why I try to hang around here, some times it helps to be able to see things in a different light.

#131601  by Shadowvox6

Of course, there are us "mentally unstable" M owners that actually do try to make these into Quarter Mile sleds....

[sniff] Never actually having gotten my 99 into the 14's prior to it's demise [/sniff]

Maybe I can get the Special there, someday!!!

Lisa, BTW...every 100 lbs. of weight = .1 of et
Since you are like 82 lbs soaking wet :munch
You do have a considerable advantage over the competition.

Even with 20 lbs of crap in the car...you should still be faster.
Although, if it were me, I would have track prepped the hell out of that sled:
-less than 1/4 tank of gas
-nothing in the car (loose items, floor mats, etc)
-spare tire (if any) removed, along with any crap in the trunk

Also, lower tire pressures in the back, and raise them in the front (exact opposite of our cars)

Do those things, and report back with your findings.
There will be a quiz later!!

#131604  by Scott1094

Almond,

I would not consider anyone that gets a Neon into the 12's stupid. We all want our cars to perform at their best and sometimes even that isn't enough. I was merely pointing out that the big body Chrysler's were not designed to be drag racers.

Tom,

I have a feeling that 14's are in the bag for that Special. Have fun as we watch those time slips show the proof.

Scott

#132360  by Antigini

Update. Someone over at ChargerForums.com did the math through the NHRA correction table and it sets my 14.8 at a lovely 14.12 for sea level, i'd imagine. This pleases me.

#132363  by JA Cumbo

That's not bad at all for a two ton 4 door sedan. :D :)