Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • dang oil filter

• Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.
Membership Banner

Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.

Moderator: Moderators

#191654  by 300man86

I changed my oil yesterday on my M. I had no trouble whatsoever draining the oil other than I missed the oil pan a little and spilled it on the driveway.

I went to take the oil filter off and couldn't get it off. I tried using grip gloves but I couldn't get it off. I ended up putting new oil in it then drove it to the local quick lube that changed the oil for me last time. Even they had trouble getting it off.

Is there the special tool that will fit over the filter that connects to a ratchet?

WTF was Chrysler thinking to put the oil filter there. I mean the oil just runs onto the frame. How stupid. I could barely get my fat fingers up in there to attempt to take the filter off.

Should I change the brand new oil since I drove it for 10 miles on the old oil filter?

Chris

#191658  by monte4

Too bad about the oil filter. If it was on that tight it's a wonder they didn't strip your oil pan plug too. That's the last time I would go there.
Yes they do make an oil filter tool that fits to a rachet. Any good auto parts store should be able to get one for you.
As for the oil, you've now got a new filter on right? Then I wouldn't sweat it, 10 miles shouldn't badly degrade the new oil.
My 02 cents.

#191663  by Bill Putney

Yeah - the end cap type filter wrenches with a couple of extensions is the best for our filters.

Chris, I know what you're saying about the oil on the frame, but you can't very well expect them to redesign the engine or the frame so that doesn't happen. I agree that it is annoying though.

#191857  by 300man86

monte4 wrote:Too bad about the oil filter. If it was on that tight it's a wonder they didn't strip your oil pan plug too. That's the last time I would go there.
Yes they do make an oil filter tool that fits to a rachet. Any good auto parts store should be able to get one for you.
As for the oil, you've now got a new filter on right? Then I wouldn't sweat it, 10 miles shouldn't badly degrade the new oil.
My 02 cents.
I did get a new Purolater Pure one oil filter.
 #191858  by grayslater

300man86 wrote:Should I change the brand new oil since I drove it for 10 miles on the old oil filter?

Chris
You'll be just fine, Chris. :)

#191865  by 300man86

okay cool. I'll have to purchase that oil filter socket set.

#191873  by Bill Putney

300man86 wrote:okay cool. I'll have to purchase that oil filter socket set.
All you need is the "oil filter cap wrench" (there are different sizes - must choose the right one to fit our filters) - one part. You use it with a regular 3/8" ratchet, and extensions as needed.

Looks like this:

#191892  by tinman

K&N makes an oil filter for our M. I believe it is the HP-3001. It has a nut on the end of the filter made for a wrench to easily take it off. (edited for clarity)

Changing the oil yourself is one of the easier things to do on your M. For the cost of a cheap-o oil change from some grease monkey you can upgrade to synthetic oil and a quality filter and do it yourself. One major important note: our oil pans EASILY strip out the threads at the drain plug. Grease monkeys REGULARLY strip these out. If you do it yourself you will definitely save yourself lots of grief by gently snugging your oil drain plug instead of "wrenching" the mo'fo' down as tight as these stupid idiots do and subsequently stripping out the threads.

#191893  by grayslater

tinman wrote:K&N makes an oil filter for our M. I believe it is the HP-3001. It has a cap on the end of the filter made for a wrench to easily take it off.
FYI
K&N
#HP2004
#HP3001 Oversized

Just so there is no confusion, the filter has a "nut" mounted to the bottom where you can put a socket on it. When we changed Jason's last weekend it was either a 15/16" or 1" socket IIRC??

#191896  by tinman

Thanks, Cory, for the clarification. I edited my original post to eliminate any possible confusion.

#192000  by Joel_MD

I have a couple of helpful hints regarding oil filters that I learned on the Cummins sub-forum at Dodgeforum.com:

1. When you install an oil filter, apply wheel bering grease to the gasket instead of motor oil. It makes the filter a little easier to remove next time.

2. When you remove an oil filter, loosen it slightly with a wrench or whatever method you normally use. Then slip a gallon size Ziploc bag over the entire filter and continue to remove it. That way, when the oil inevitably drips out of the filter it ends up in the bag, not all over your hands and vehicle frame. Then you can zip the bag closed and toss the whole thing in the trash, or bring to a recycling place if desired.

#192005  by Bill Putney

Joel_MD wrote:...2. When you remove an oil filter, loosen it slightly with a wrench or whatever method you normally use. Then slip a gallon size Ziploc bag over the entire filter and continue to remove it. That way, when the oil inevitably drips out of the filter it ends up in the bag, not all over your hands and vehicle frame...
Hmm - I like the idea of that. Not sure it would be 100% effective at keeping all the oil from getting on things, but it should reduce the spillage, maybe eliminate it with a little luck. Thanks, Joel!

#192010  by 300maximilien

Bill Putney wrote:
Joel_MD wrote:...2. When you remove an oil filter, loosen it slightly with a wrench or whatever method you normally use. Then slip a gallon size Ziploc bag over the entire filter and continue to remove it. That way, when the oil inevitably drips out of the filter it ends up in the bag, not all over your hands and vehicle frame...
Hmm - I like the idea of that. Not sure it would be 100% effective at keeping all the oil from getting on things, but it should reduce the spillage, maybe eliminate it with a little luck. Thanks, Joel!
Sad thing is my Dad told me that way back in the '80s....and I forgot all about it!! Doh

#192713  by Tarheel

For me it's just not worth the bother to change my own oil, I take my oil & filter (Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, purchased at WallyWorld) to my local Chrysler dealer and have it changed for $10.00. No problems and no oil to dispose of, no oil on the garage floor, no oil on me. There is also a service record. I will never again take any vehicle that I own to another Jiffy Lube or other quick oil change places. :D

#192715  by 300maximilien

tarheal wrote:For me it's just not worth the bother to change my own oil, I take my oil & filter (Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, purchased at WallyWorld) to my local Chrysler dealer and have it changed for $10.00.
No wonder they are going bankrupt!

#192738  by alandw

tarheal wrote:For me it's just not worth the bother to change my own oil, I take my oil & filter (Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, purchased at WallyWorld) to my local Chrysler dealer and have it changed for $10.00. No problems and no oil to dispose of, no oil on the garage floor, no oil on me. There is also a service record.
Wow- $10- best price I could find here in CT is $20 supplying your own oil and filter. Just did Mobil1 10W-40 w/ large capacity M1 filter that way - no muss, no fuss.

#192741  by Bill Putney

tarheal wrote:For me it's just not worth the bother to change my own oil, I take my oil & filter (Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter, purchased at WallyWorld) to my local Chrysler dealer and have it changed for $10.00. No problems and no oil to dispose of, no oil on the garage floor, no oil on me. There is also a service record. I will never again take any vehicle that I own to another Jiffy Lube or other quick oil change places. :D
Just make sure they actually do it - check that the color and level of the oil is different than when you took it in, and look at the filter - maybe mark it before you take it in (but of course if you're going to crawl under it to do that, you almost might as well change it yourself).

A few years ago, I caught our local delaer charging my elderly mother for the very first oil and filter change (which she was paying for) on the brand new Concorde she bought. For some reason I actually checked the oil color and level and looked at the filter before she took it in and when it came back. The real smoking gun was that the filter was painted flat black and had a paint stamp on it that said "ORIGINAL FACTORY FILTER". Same filter on it when it came back. Checked oil color and level - same level it was before she took it in.

#192758  by 300maximilien

Bill Putney wrote: A few years ago, I caught our local delaer charging my elderly mother for the very first oil and filter change (which she was paying for) on the brand new Concorde she bought
SCUM
 #202998  by sws4420

I had a hell of a time getting my oil filter off the car last night. Which of these wrenches do you guys normally use? I only hand tighten, but for some reason this filter last night was being extra stubborn and my standard filter wrench doesn't even fit up around the filter with room to move.
 #203004  by 300maximilien

sws4420 wrote:I had a hell of a time getting my oil filter off the car last night. Which of these wrenches do you guys normally use? I only hand tighten, but for some reason this filter last night was being extra stubborn and my standard filter wrench doesn't even fit up around the filter with room to move.
Hand tighten is best IMO. That is what I do, but when I did mine last week I needed to use a socket wrench for removal.

I try to use the type of filters that have the 1" Nut on top for ease of removal.