Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • *Gas tank straps--check yours if over 7 yrs old*

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#213949  by 300maximilien

300Michael wrote:Checked mine out (both 99 and 03) Except for a little on some of the edges, mine look new. I guess salt on the roads is a factor for this problem.
Huge factor.....look at this pic.

It's an Intrepid that lived on and near the beach in MA
 #213979  by grayslater

I guess my straps must be okay. The dealer didn't mention anything when dropping my tank for the fuel pump replacement earlier this week in the 2004. They did say they had to cut of a couple of the sway bar bolts, however.
 #214036  by 300maximilien

grayslater wrote:I guess my straps must be okay. The dealer didn't mention anything when dropping my tank for the fuel pump replacement earlier this week in the 2004. They did say they had to cut of a couple of the sway bar bolts, however.
If I know Dealers they are most likely going to just wait till they fall so they can charge you more labor at a later date. :roll:
 #214044  by EasyRider300M

They probably are still reasonably ok on a 2004 M. But check them anyways. In my opinion, once the car is 9 to 10 years old, they are bound to be very rusty--especially in snow country where roads are salted. I notice on pics of the underside of members cars, even the stainless steel muffler and exhaust pipes are getting pretty rusty. The straps are not stainless.
 #237927  by Caper

:new Just had that happen to my '99, G/F filled the tank then she heard scraping when she left, one strap broke...bought a universal tank strap at local Canadian Tire for $6.50, pretty easy job, I slid the new strap through a bicycle tire tube for a little weather protection, formed the shape, put a block of wood under the tank and jacked it up a bit so I could get it on tight and bolted it up,took about 1/2 hr.
 #238704  by TrueBlue

Caper wrote:I slid the new strap through a bicycle tire tube for a little weather protection
As good of an idea as this sounds (and I applaud the foresight), I think you may want to remove the tube if there's any gap or opening at either end. The rubber will hold salt concentration inside if it's splashed into the gap, accelerating rust.

My '02 has straps in good shape. I wash the car probably once a week in the winter.
 #257291  by Iwant2playNOW

mine are loose cause some rattling of the fuel tank (i think...)...will be replacing them next week.

anyone else have a rapid clunking type noise in the rear..sounds like something itting the rear deack-lid from underneath..i wasunder the car and wiggled the tank around and it was obviously a bit loose and the noise was identical.
 #257425  by isrb710

tinman wrote:Does anyone have a picture of a strap? I might be able to make one from stainless if it is basically a plain ol' strap with a couple of holes.
Paul,

A picture was posted just after your post. Is that something you can do?

I'd be interested in stainless straps if they're not too expensive. The pictures look a little more complicated than just bending, but are the extra bolt holes even being used? (One post even said he bought a universal tank strap for $6.50.)

Thanks, Ron
 #257441  by tinman

I could make some stainless steel straps, but my cost would be way more than $6.50, or even $20.00. Obviously I would make my own out of stainless (and I will be checking mine this week since I do live near the beach). If I were to make a pair for me I would make a production run, but the chances of my needing them are probably slim.

If I were to install the OEM straps, I would coat them with some heavy duty primer or tar or something to protect them further than just the cheap paint protection.
 #257510  by isrb710

Paul,

I just climbed under my 2000 M and I don't need to replace them immediately. One strap is in pretty good shape. The other's got a little rust, but shouldn't give out near-term. All the bolts were very rusty, so they will probably give out first. I sprayed all 4 with PB Blaster while I was under there. Here in Ohio, we see a fair amount of road salt, but no ocean spray.

The little tabs that point to the side don't attach to anything on my M, so I'm guessing they allow the straps to be used on more than one vehicle. Or maybe different years of our 300M's. I also noticed that the straps were doubled where the bolt hole is located. (You can see that on the left side of the picture in the earlier post , but not so easily on the other ends of the straps.) Does anybody know if all years of the 300M use the same straps?

I was hoping price-wise you could charge about what a stealership would charge and you'd still make some profit for your time and effort. Since stainless steel bolts often cost twice as much as chrome bolts, I would expect stainless straps to cost more than plain steel straps. And since stainless is stronger than plain steel, you can probably use the same gauge steel as oem and you wouldn't need to double the bolt-hole ends. A washer would probably do the job. If you decide to make some straps, perhaps you can do like SPAD3 does for his intake spacers and include stainless bolts and washers. I'd go ahead and get a set now versus waiting until mine croak - just to give me peace of mind.

Ron
 #257723  by tinman

I would need a pair of straps (or only one if they are identical) to copy. Someone would have to send me the straps - old or new. I would then copy them. I would do it on my own time so my labor would be free to keep the cost down. If enough people wanted them then I could have a "production" run.

I see the straps reduce near the end of the strap where the bolt hole is. Is this necessary? To eliminate that step would save time which = money.
 #258619  by cloud 9

I was under the car today checking things out. I will definitely get new straps soon. I don't know how they didn't break free yet. There is also a lot of rust in a few spots on the fuel lines. Most of the line in the back looks great... but a few spots are just destroyed by rust.
 #258724  by Millenium300M

Caper wrote:I slid the new strap through a bicycle tire tube for a little weather protection, formed the shape, put a block of wood under the tank and jacked it up a bit so I could get it on tight and bolted it up,took about 1/2 hr.
On older cars, there was a 'tank strap insulator' which was this-a strip of rubber installed between the metal tank straps & the metal gas tanks, to quiet squeaks & rattles. With plastic gas tanks, it's probably not necessary, the plastic is slick enough. As posted, that tube will hold moisture..

If your worried about corrosion protection, wire wheel the new straps, apply Rustoleum Bare Metal Primer by brush, then seal/paint it a gloss Rustoleum paint.. The straps will probably outlive you.. I glass-beaded my old Jeep rims, primed & painted this way.. The body rusted pretty much away before the wheels started showing any rust..
 #267899  by Judydare

EasyRider300M wrote:I suggest everyone in snow country where they use salt on the road check the gas tank straps for rust and replace if questionable. You wouldn't want your gas tanks falling off at 70mph on the highway. :steam

When my strap broke, I could hear something dragging under the car. If the piece broke off and the noise stopped, I would have assumed it was a tree branch or something. Eventually the other strap would break and then kaboom!
My 2002 300M has lived in Maine and NH for its entire life. Will have the tank straps looked at soon! Thanks! :eek
 #292301  by Judydare

I had mine changed this summer on good advice from this forum.
 #292353  by Judydare

300maximilien wrote:A Judy sighting...how are ya?
Hi Craig,

I'm doing just fine although I did back my car into another one last month in my own driveway on my way to oral surgery. Not a good way to start that day! Just got it all fixed up with a new back bumper and tail light. AND... after buying chrome pillars a couple of years ago, I finally got them put on! The car looks so good! I can't imagine being without this beautiful car. Can't believe it's 10 years old. I will be putting in a new signature pic with all the chrome shining!

Now golfing season is coming to an end, I'll be checking up on everyone here. :D
 #310992  by JohnMarse799

Was at work this week and had just driven the M out on to the training yard. I had popped the trunk and was setting about 5 feet behind the car when there was a LOUD bang. It sounded like a garage door spring when it breaks and the first thought that came to mind was the gas tank straps. Checked and both are fine and with little to no rust, but still do not know what made the noise. I had it at the shop yesterday and had 4 of the Tech's looking at it and no one had a clue as to what it was as all of the underside was tight and I had the front end rebuilt last month. The sound seemed to come from the rear of the car and I am still at a loss as to what it was.
 #311010  by FIREM

I had a front spring break and it was just as you described, big bang. No sag just a little creeking up front that I could not find. Pulled the strut in desperaton and found the last turn of the spring just busted...