Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Questions about oil pan quick change valve.

• Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.
Membership Banner

Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.

Moderator: Moderators

#233850  by 300maximilien

I have a habit of over tighting my filters...I am trying to cure myself of this affliction
 #233891  by grayslater

Bill Putney wrote: You've probably learned to bias your range of tightening torque a little to the looser side - which is OK. The range from so loose that it leaks to so tight that it would be a problem if the filter wrench doesn't grip it quite as well is pretty broad. I find that the method I've seen on the filter boxes works pretty well to stay well within that range: spin on until the gasket starts to seat, then turn it an additional 3/4 turn mas o menos. With your plastic one, maybe go 1/2 turn instead? Still good safety margin against leakage using that.

Of course, where you really have to get jiggy with techniques like stabbing the filter with a very large screwdriver is when the same filter has been on for 3 or 5 years - *probably* not a problem for anybody reading this. :)
I usually go by feel, with the built in torque wrench in my fingers and wrist. :)
 #233903  by soloz2

My Fumoto valve arrived today! I wasn't expecting it until mid next week, hopefully I'll have time to change the oil and install it tomorrow. I have to go buy a filter and 5qts oil first though.
 #233949  by soloz2

we'll see. It rained all last night and this morning, so I won't be installing it today as hoped since the drive way is still wet, with puddles.
 #233970  by Bill Putney

grayslater wrote:I usually go by feel, with the built in torque wrench in my fingers and wrist. :)
Ahh yes - those calibrated arms! :)

In my previous job when I/we wrote procedures for running tests that involved installation of equipment into test fixtures, when certain bolt torques were not supercritical to the results of a test and were otherwise not worth spending extra time on, we would specify those bolts to be torqued by "mechanic's feel", and the Navy generally accepted that wording in lieu of actual torque values.
 #233995  by soloz2

I'm sorry to report that I won't be doing the install myself so no pictures/writeup. I had my car in for an inspection this morning (gotta love NY) and I asked my mechanic to install the broken fuel line clip I picked up as the design of the clip makes it very hard to remove/install with only one hand while the car is jacked up, but would be a 5min job with a lift and they offered to install the fumato valve for me so I gave them the oil, filter and valve and they'll change the oil and install the valve while they have it up on the lift to install the new clip. Will also be good as I just recently noticed a couple drips of oil so I have a small leak and my exhaust just started sounding like I have a new hole... (again gotta love NY and all the salt they put on the roads to help combat all the snow the Buffalo area gets...) Both things that will be easier with a lift.

I can't wait until I have a place of my own with a garage to do repairs/maintenance. I really want a lift someday!
 #233996  by Brando26

I used to live in the grand metropolis of Fredonia/Dunkirk when i was a kid. I know the area.
I put my Fumoto on with a crescent wrench and used some liquid nylon to protect the threads from leaking oil. No issues.
 #244760  by I take the 5th

I have a question about the quick drain valve with "Nipple"...

Is the car riding high enough for the valve to clear speed bumps? Im thinking the frame should take the hit and not the valve.
How much oil is left in the pan using the quick drain when on a level surface?
Is there enough material for the threads to be secure or should there be a nut in the inside to help secure the valve?
 #244762  by Brando26

The drain valve or bolt are on the side of the pan, so the valve should never come into contact with anything unless god happens to be intervening. The nipple just sticks straight out horizontal if im not mistaken, i dont have the nipple version.
 #244771  by grayslater

Plenty of us, myself included, have used the Fumato valve. There are no issues with clearance or with the threads. No idea as to how much oil is left behind?? But I usually have my car on ramps or jack stands to access the drain valve anyway. Also helps in removing some extra oil. But I've never had an issue when putting back the 5 qts. In other words, no sign of being over filled.
 #244810  by JoeKD

I used a Fumoto on my 300M, now I have them on my Mustang and Explorer

The nipple makes it a lot easier to use, just attach a hose (I bought 12 feet of clear hose at home depot for like $5) and run the other end of the hose into the drain pan. Not a drop spilled.
 #244844  by tinman

I have used the Fram Drain Valve. It takes a while to drain the system but works fine. When you install the Fumoto, is it Right side up or down, i.e., is the valve handle shiny side up or doesn't it matter?
 #244858  by grayslater

tinman wrote:I have used the Fram Drain Valve. It takes a while to drain the system but works fine. When you install the Fumoto, is it Right side up or down, i.e., is the valve handle shiny side up or doesn't it matter?
It doesn't matter, oil comes out the end. Tighten as you would without over tightening. It also doesn't matter with the handle. You just simply lift and slide it over to open.
 #244882  by grayslater

I take the 5th wrote:I assume it will thread into where the oil plug was? Remove the oil plug and thread this in it place?
Yup.
 #244898  by tinman

grayslater wrote:
I take the 5th wrote:I assume it will thread into where the oil plug was? Remove the oil plug and thread this in it place?
Yup.
Just be sure to get the correct thread size, of course. (It's not "universal").
 #244926  by JoeKD

tinman wrote:I have used the Fram Drain Valve. It takes a while to drain the system but works fine. When you install the Fumoto, is it Right side up or down, i.e., is the valve handle shiny side up or doesn't it matter?
I had the Fram years ago. Two things I didn't like.

1-slow drain speed due to the small opening in the adapter
2-if you lose/break the adapter no way to drain oil without removing the drain plug completely or buying a whole new kit (this may have changed but they did not sell just the hose/adapter when I had the kit)

BTW - if anyone wants to buy a brand new f-106N I have a spare I will sell for $20 shipped anywhere in the continental 48 states
 #244927  by monte4

I am awaiting delivery of one here from the Canadian supplier (Fumoto Canada). I bought the one with the nipple. Question..do you put any thread tape on the threads when you install it or just screw it in? Should get it by the end of the week, but my next oil change isn't do till end of Feb.
 #244930  by Bill Putney

So you get a choice of male or female. Cool. :)
monte4 wrote:...Question..do you put any thread tape on the threads when you install it or just screw it in? Should get it by the end of the week, but my next oil change isn't do till end of Feb.
Ellis - It's not tapered threads, so thread tape would serve no purpose. See the white washer on it - just like a drain plug would have. Straight threads, and the washer seals it by its being clamped between the flange on the valve and the pan.