Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • The more things change, the more they remain the same....

• A place to discuss the politics of the day.
Membership Banner

A place to discuss the politics of the day.

Moderator: Moderators

#288851  by EasyRider300M

Ronald Reagan--"The Great Communicator"---the numbers have changed but the message fits even today---the speech is from Reagan's start of his Presidency--1981

#288852  by Bill Putney

We have become so perverted in our thinking that we can't even recognize straight-talk when we hear it now. It sounds like a foreign language to us. All you have to do is listen to the contradictors to see that that is so.
 #288918  by InfernoLime

This was very interesting to watch, as the only American political scene I was ever old enough to understand was the W. Bush and now Obama. In Canada, I really only took interest and understood politics when Paul Martin took over. Interesting for me to hear this and see how similar it is to the world I know
 #288922  by beespecial

This should be replayed on every media outlet before every presidential election.

It really irritates me when a new president, ANY new president, blames his predessor for a bad economy. Fact is, as president, HE is the one responsible because he took on the responsibility. By definition of the job, the president is responsible for the economy good or bad and it's his job to fix a bad economy or protect a good one.
 #288926  by InfernoLime

Also, I'm not proud that I have a moderate idea of the american economic situation, but very little knowledge of the Canadian situation. I know a few quick google searches could give me a good idea, but at this very moment I'm ignorant to the economic situation that I'm now able to vote and have an effect on.

brb, To GOOGLE!
 #288927  by InfernoLime

mattgendron wrote:Also, I'm not proud that I have a moderate idea of the american economic situation, but very little knowledge of the Canadian situation. I know a few quick google searches could give me a good idea, but at this very moment I'm ignorant to the economic situation that I'm now able to vote and have an effect on.

brb, To GOOGLE!
Wow, http://www.davemanuel.com/canada-debt-clock.php

compared to http://www.usdebtclock.org/
 #288931  by EasyRider300M

that explains why the Canadian dollar has strenghtened in the last decade compared to the US dollar---I can remember when the Canadian dollar was equal to about 70 us cents. Now they're about equal in value--$1 canadian equals $1 us

#288933  by InfernoLime

EasyRider300M wrote:that explains why the Canadian dollar has strenghtened in the last decade compared to the US dollar---I can remember when the Canadian dollar was equal to about 70 us cents. Now they're about equal in value--$1 canadian equals $1 us
I remember when I was 10 or 11 or whatever, and my grandparents, who lived in the states, would give american money for birthdays/christmas/what have you. And before I understood the economy I just remembered it as being magic money that is worth more than what it says on the paper.

Not to get to personal, but I think that these memories is what has caused me to feel almost more American patriotism that Canadian. I see the states as this big, amazing placed, and that since the money was worth more, everything was better and more important there. Now personally I have a very small amount of patriotism in general. I feel that thinking your nation is the best because you were born there is a silly feeling (really, I'm not trying to bring up hate here). But long story short, despite all the "problems" that the US has, I still almost see it as this whimsical magical place. And I think the exchange rate when I was a kid has a big play in that.
 #288936  by isrb710

WOW! That video is a great history and economics lesson!!

Eisenhour's ENTIRE 1957 U.S. Govt. Budget = $80 billion. Carter's 1980 budget DEFICIT = $80 billion just 23 years later.

Entire 1960 U.S. Govt. Payroll = $13 billion
Entire 1980 U.S. Govt. Payroll = $75 billion. That's a 576% increase from 1960.

U.S. Population increase from 1960-1980 = 23.3 %.

If the U.S. payroll only kept up with inflation, it would have been $16 billion. Due to computerization, private companies were doing more work with fewer employees. So a reasonable person would think that the Federal Govt. should have been able to get its work done with maybe only a 10% increase in federal payroll.

Below are some numbers from http://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/repo ... stdebt.htm I kept all the amounts in billions to make it easy to see the differences.

U.S. National Debt at 6/30/1960 = $286 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 6/30/1970 = $371 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 9/30/1980 = $908 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 9/30/1990 = $3,233 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 9/30/2000 = $5,674 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 9/30/2008 = $10,025 billion.
U.S. National Debt at 9/04/2012 = $15,996 billion.

President Obama said President Bush was unpatriotic and irresponsible for the roughly $4,000 billion (= $4 trillion) in debt he racked up in his 8 years in the White House. And that's one of the few things on which I can agree with President Obama. So what does it make President Obama for racking up over $5,000 billion in debt in 3 1/2 years?
 #288938  by isrb710

I keep hearing we're burdening our kids and grandkids with this mountain of debt. H#11, we're saddling ourselves with the debt too!!

IF interest rates stay the same, the interest on the national debt will be $1,000 billion in 5 or 6 years. BUT --> interest rates WILL take off when the economy gets into a REAL recovery, because inflation will take off. And that could double or triple the amount of interest we pay. The Federal Reserve has been digitizing the debt - basically an electronic way of printing money. When you have more money chasing after the same amount of goods, prices go UP! Note that interest that doesn't buy any services for our people, fuel for our gas tanks, ammo for our soldiers, or social security for our retirees.

If we don't stop the overspending on our own with rational REAL cuts (versus lowering increases in spending), eventually the overspending will be stopped for us because nobody will loan the U.S. government any more money. And then we'll have chaos like what they have in Greece now. Basically, it's either cut the spending now. Or HAVE IT CUT FOR US A LOT MORE LATER. With $1,000 billion deficits for each of the next 10 years by the Congressional Budget Office, "LATER" IS LOOKING LIKE LESS THAN 10 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

What does it mean when the we can no longer borrow to fund our current spending? (We borrowed 41 cents of every dollar the government spent in 2012.)

1. NOBODY will get social security payments
2. NOBODY will get medicare/medicaid/Obamacare health coverage
3. NOBODY will get unemployment insurance
4. NOBODY will get student loans

Government spending was cut drastically and income tax rates were lowered drastically by Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge in the 1920's in response to the deep depression we experienced at the end of President Wilson's 8 years in office. The economy took off and that's why we describe that time as the "Roaring Twenties".

The economy also took off after World War II was over. The Keynesian economists said we couldn't cut government spending quickly or we'd have another great depression. But the federal government DID cut spending dramatically and we had a good to very good economy for most of the next 25 years.

By cutting government spending and taxes, we put the money in the private sector, where it's spent MUCH more efficiently than in the government sector. Private companies accomplish so much more per dollar spent than the government does. More goods and services are produced when people are working in the private sector. The government sector can NOT create wealth - it simply redistributes the wealth created in the private sector. If government heavily taxes the private sector, then incentives to produce are taken away and we get both less wealth and fewer jobs. Putting money back in peoples' pockets will stimulate the economy, create millions of jobs, and put America back on the road to being the most prosperous country the world has ever known. Instead of the current road to poverty for us all.
 #288946  by 300maximilien

Until we stop playing the roll of International Police Force things will never change. I keep hearing we spend as much on our military as the next 5 nations.....what they don't say is what we spend it on in regards to the military. It's mostly wasted policing and waging special interest wars around the world.