Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • 7 Piece Vinyl/Nylon Lug Nut Impact Sockets

• A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.
Membership Banner

A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.

Moderator: Moderators

#303187  by 300maximilien

Will be picking a set of these up. Such a great concept.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-sa ... 69781.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #303189  by paintballdude05

That is a really good idea! Wish I could find a set, I'd pay closer to $20 for them though.
 #303193  by Null

that white vinyl is gonna look so gross after one use. Too bad it wast black
 #303195  by Maximus

Those are for show....then when you do work you pull out the crappy looking ones.... :lol:
 #303196  by 300maximilien

null26 wrote:that white vinyl is gonna look so gross after one use. Too bad it wast black
Your wheels/lugs are dirty?? :shock:

I would wash any wheels before working with these.....if they were that dirty then there would be no reason to use this type of socket and I would just use my regular ones.
 #303197  by Null

will still look like crap after one use, no matter how much you polish your nuts. Tools made out of plastic = lose
 #303198  by M-Pressive

I don't have a whole set of these but I did purchase a 17mm one for the lug bolts on the Mercedes.

The plastic has held up amazingly well and is not dirty at all. It is a huge time saver, I used to have to blue tape the lug wrench and now I can just use this with my torque wrench.

I will be purchasing another or maybe this set for the lug bolts on the M.
 #303199  by Null

well there you go problem saved, still think making them white is pointless. Also lug wrenches and torque wrenches would be a lot more gentle on the plastic tools than an IMPACT wrench.
 #303243  by JTROANOKE

Making them out of white makes them visible when you drop one on asphalt and it rolls under the car. As far as the staying pretty goes, it wouldn't but who cares? I use my tools, I don't polish them and look at them! :D
 #303245  by Null

White plastic tools = fail. 8) debate over I wont be buying them but i dont control your pocket books so by all means. Enjoy

They wouldn't put chrome on tools if it wasn't for looks and protection.
 #303276  by JTROANOKE

Chrome is good for rust prevention/protection as it is very hard. However it's hardness is why it is not generally used on impact sockets which are not hard. Hard coating over soft base = crazing/cracking/etc. Impact sockets are softer than normal sockets so they will bend instead of shattering under the high speed pounding.

I imagine the choice of white was dictated by whatever else they are making in the manufacturing plant in China. They probably got a good deal on a shipping container full of white vinyl pellets and needed to find a use for them! They are very resourceful over there! And dye costs money!

Plastic coated sockets would not be my choice for heavy duty line work, but they are a great idea for wheel lugs. On some cars I have owned the clearance around the lug is so minimal, that no matter how careful one is with a lug wrench chipping the finish around the lug is inevitable. Especially if the recess is deep and the lug spins free before clearing the hole. I wish the tire jockeys at the tire stores used these.
 #303277  by Null

lol, who cares. I dont anymore
 #303283  by Null

baha. So pretty

I guess the real idea is to protect your nuts not the plastic coverings :D
 #303286  by 300maximilien

I will give them a nice clean-ability test when I get the white ones and report back...
 #303287  by Null

I just bought Cory's Brand new center caps. Im strapped for cash

I might be able to afford these though

#303292  by JTROANOKE

null26 wrote:I just bought Cory's Brand new center caps. Im strapped for cash

I might be able to afford these though

The reciprocating saw might be good for your nuts!
 #303295  by LUNAT1C

Didn't really need to know how you all handle your nuts... sigh.

Am I the only one who still uses a tire iron? I don't recall even scratching a lug nut or a wheel. Spin the lug nuts most of the way out, then grab the socket/iron to remove with the lug nut still in the socket.