Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Air ratchet

• A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.
Membership Banner

A place to discuss different tools we use to keep our cars running.

Moderator: Moderators

#336378  by tafi300M

What is it good for? No need, or must have? What do you think? I was thinking of 1/2" type, I got a very good and powerful impact gun already.
http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-1770G-2 ... ir+ratchet
 #336381  by user97

I have a few air ratchets (harbor freight variety), paid around $10 a piece after coupons.

They are not must have in my opinion but speed up work. At least HF ones are fairly week, so they are good only for driving bolts once they are loosened. Saves a bit of time on tasks where you are loosening/tightening a number of bolts at the same time (say transmission pan) or similar.

Given that they are fairly low torque, they end up torquing below spec, so you can then follow up with torque wrench and torque all the bolts to spec.

Another area where they are useful are hard to reach bolts -- you know the cases where you have only a tiny wiggle room, if you can put an air ratchet on a bolt then, it saves a lot of time. With air ratchet, you always must start the bolt by hand -- incredibly easy to cross thread.
 #336383  by Maximus

If you can afford it I think its a good have for any tool box. Might not use it every job, but the time you need it you would love it.
 #336384  by Stratastic

Air ratchets are a good tool to have. I have 3/8 and 1/4 drive.
 #336387  by 300maximilien

Tommi for that $80 I could buy you a 3/8 and a 1/4 drive from Harbor Freight and ship them to you in Finland all for close to that $80!

Let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.
 #336390  by mnitetrain

Shipping might be killer but I got the same IR on ebay for $30.00 IIRC. Handy to have if you don't overpay.

Also got a 3/8 Sioux (SnapON) for $30.00. Plus the Harbor Freight 3/8.

Best buy was a 3/8 Harbor Freight butterfly impact. Very small seems to do the job for stuff I've used it on.

All in all, the Harbor freight air tools seem to work pretty well, keep them lubed and keep clean air. Don't abuse they will do the job.
 #336440  by tafi300M

300maximilien wrote:Tommi for that $80 I could buy you a 3/8 and a 1/4 drive from Harbor Freight and ship them to you in Finland all for close to that $80!

Let me know. I'd be glad to help you out.
Naah, never mind, I'll do without them for a while. I just hope for you to consentrate on those H&R's for now...