Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • How to Tell Special Springs from Regular Springs

• Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.
Membership Banner

Discussions on suspension & steering repairs or upgrades.

Moderator: Moderators

#367513  by In-trepid

One of my Specials had the strut assemblies replaced with Monroe Quick Struts before I bought the car. I now have an opportunity to strip a Special and I'm wondering how to tell if the the Special that I can strip has original Special struts and/or springs that I can use on my Special. Short of taking the struts apart and measuring spring height, is there any way of telling if these are Special springs or if they are replacements? They are older looking and being in the rust belt, it is hard to tell. I don't see any marks, part numbers, or the little plastic tape pieces that you sometimes see on springs with a number on them.
 #367518  by FIREM

See if you can find the part number on the strut. If it is a Chrysler part # good chance they were never changed and should be the OE springs. FWIW spring size most likely same, spring "rate" is what is different.
snstr_auto liked this
 #367530  by In-trepid

FIREM wrote:See if you can find the part number on the strut. If it is a Chrysler part # good chance they were never changed and should be the OE springs. FWIW spring size most likely same, spring "rate" is what is different.
Agreed. I tried to find a part number on the strut, but was unsuccessful making me think that it was probably a replacement strut. It is pretty rusty, so if there is a number it is probably under the rust. I'm going out to the yard again today and will take a wire brush with me.
 #367535  by In-trepid

Checked the struts at the yard. The front struts have a Chrysler symbol on them, but I can't find a part number. On the other hand, the rear struts have a sticker with the part number that checks out to be for the SDE suspension, which I believe is considered the Sport suspension and should be right for the Special. Does anyone know where the part number may be located on the front struts?
 #367778  by LUNAT1C

I would think it's on the strut body above the knuckle, either side of it.